Thread: Male or Female?

snakecharmr728

Question Male or Female?

Male or Female? Age unknown. but he/she is about the size of my closed fist or the size of a full grown pac man. Let me know if better pictures are needed in order to determine sex.

ps. I know the dangers of the moss, and it will be removed from his tank first thing tomorrow morning. This guy just came to me tonight and is already croaking away.... ALL night!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Male or Female?

What's wrong with (sphagnum) moss? I used it on a lot of amphibians and have only seen my large tigers accidentally eat it. I have had them on it for about a year and a half. My Colorado River toad just spits it out. The rest of the amphibians are to small to swallow it. Especially the darts. LOL

snakecharmr728

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    What's wrong with (sphagnum) moss? I used it on a lot of amphibians and have only seen my large tigers accidentally eat it. I have had them on it for about a year and a half. My Colorado River toad just spits it out. The rest of the amphibians are to small to swallow it. Especially the darts. LOL
    It seems to be a matter of opinion, some people worry about impaction while others have not had any problems. I'm new to frogs, I'm a boa and tegu kinda girl, I fed him on it today and he was getting mouth fulls of it so I rather not take the chance of the impaction although hes loving burrowing under it! So I might keep a corner with it so he has access to hide under it.

Kurt

The way I see it, sphagnum moss is organic, so it should pass through the digestive track. I imagine if large amounts are ingested it might pose a problem.

snakecharmr728

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    The way I see it, sphagnum moss is organic, so it should pass through the digestive track. I imagine if large amounts are ingested it might pose a problem.
    Thanks,
    Do you have an opinion on whether its male or female???
    The forum seems a bit unactive as well as kingsnake.com

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by snakecharmr728 View Post
    Thanks,
    Do you have an opinion on whether its male or female???
    The forum seems a bit unactive as well as kingsnake.com
    Well, I am here everyday, so it's active here. Yeah, I know I have no life. As far as the gender of you frog is concerned, I have not a clue. Sorry.

nat31

all I know about these frogs is that they
    say it is about 9 inches for a male and
    about 6 inches for a female and the length
    is usually the same as the width

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the forum. We seem a bit inactive because frankly there's hardly anyone here yet. We've only been around a few months. When your frog calls, does it sound like the call on this page: http://www.frogforum.net/index.php?p...alus_adspersus

If it does sound like that then it's a male. Looking at the photos, it's either a nicely sized female or a still young-ish male.

Regarding the moss, I actually keep my two female Pyxies with some sphagnum moss, but they never get fed anywhere near it (I hand feed all 3 of my Pyxies). I can't speak with regard to how easily digestible the moss is but if you're unsure about whether or not they eat it when you're not looking (unlikely), then don't risk it.

snakecharmr728

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Welcome to the forum. We seem a bit inactive because frankly there's hardly anyone here yet. We've only been around a few months. When your frog calls, does it sound like the call on this page: http://www.frogforum.net/index.php?p...alus_adspersus

If it does sound like that then it's a male. Looking at the photos, it's either a nicely sized female or a still young-ish male.

Regarding the moss, I actually keep my two female Pyxies with some sphagnum moss, but they never get fed anywhere near it (I hand feed all 3 of my Pyxies). I can't speak with regard to how easily digestible the moss is but if you're unsure about whether or not they eat it when you're not looking (unlikely), then don't risk it.

he/she is always "calling" all night long and when he/she is awake during the day, very active. But its not as deep sounding, it sounds more like a dog squeak toy. Is that normal? he/she is growing quickly eating like a weed on nightcrawlers, lrg crickets, super worms, and Iv offered 1 jumbo unsalted freshwater shrimp. I only got Ralph (the name) for only 2 or so weeks.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

It shouldn't sound like a squeak toy. Are you sure it's not touching the bare bottom of the container and rubbing its hind legs off it in an effort to burrow? This is quite common in containers with too little substrate.

snakecharmr728

It shouldn't sound like a squeak toy. Are you sure it's not touching the bare bottom of the container and rubbing its hind legs off it in an effort to burrow? This is quite common in containers with too little substrate.

No, his tank is on a dresser in my room, so I can hear him all night and I watch him call as well, its always the exact same with clicking his back legs towards his hips. His substrate is 5-6inches deep with about 2inchs of moss ontop of that so I don't think thats the problem.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I've never heard that before, and I've got 3 of this species right now (2 adult females and an adult male), and I've had others in the past. I don't know what to tell you.

snakecharmr728

I've never heard that before, and I've got 3 of this species right now (2 adult females and an adult male), and I've had others in the past. I don't know what to tell you.

I'll try to get a video of it.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

That's a great idea, I look forward to it .

jody

I made a post in the recent past about my tree frog injesting pine needles that were in the packaged moss. I still use moss, but am very picking out every stick and needle befor using it. I have a nice spot to harvest my own, though it is not the same type as the packaged stuff.

MayorNewton

That frog is a male, Charmer. A nice looking one. Good score! I have two 'big guys,' and 5 that are approximately 3+ inches long. Great frogs.

Hi, John! Sorry I haven't been around much...and I'm a mod and all! Been busy, but that's no excuse! The forum is looking great, sir.

I formed another one a few days ago...this one's for the discussion of all pets, not just amphibians. It's starting of pretty good...lots of forums out there, yes? Too many, maybe, but it's fun. Tell me what you think, will you? www.petnetforums.com

I'll make a point of checking in now and then, John...thanks!

Mayor

Thread Information