Thread: Hornworms/silkworms

pansie

Default Hornworms/silkworms

Didn't wanna hijack a thread =)

I know that superworms and mealworms aren't great to feed... but i don't hear much about hornworms and silkworms. Are they a good part of a frogs diet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

KingCam

Default Re: Hornworms/silkworms

Silk worms are extremely nutritious. High in calcium if I'm not mistaken.

I know nothing about hornworms, but I'd imagine they'd be nutritious. No shell & lots of meat usually = good.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hornworms are an excellent feeder. Very nutritious. They also have a good calcium content as well as vitamins due to the food they are fed. I believe they are more fattening though. Kind of odd, but their eyes can't be digested and look like little seed casing in the frogs poop

pansie

So the hornworms looked a little bit big to me, so i grabbed a couple silkworms for my boys... and they ate those like it was goin out of style!! My pac looks a lil thing to me still, so I will try hornworms when they get some smaller ones in (they only had large today) and i'm gonna try a pinkie for each of them soon. I'm so excited when they eat so well!! My Pac was soooo picky seeming at first! what a champ! =)

Joe9252

i actually just picked up some hornworms and they are pretty good size some as big as my middle finger my pac ate it with no problem just wondering how many do i feed to my pac? I just feed him one tonight he usually eats around 3-4 night crawlers a night i assumed one was enough but idk...

Froggiefressh

If a pac can't digest the hornworm's eyes wouldnt that be a problem? I feed my pac hornworms atleast once or twice a week. My little dude loves them and my pet store says they have more protein then 24 crickets.

pansie

i would think the eyes would be small enough to just pass....

Flumper

making hornworms a regular food for my pacman is ok right? because i know superworms are just a once in a while thing

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Flumper View Post
    making hornworms a regular food for my pacman is ok right? because i know superworms are just a once in a while thing
    They are mostly good for a treat, not all the time. You could still add them to the diet, but sometimes if you feed too many Hornworms they don't digest properly and their whole skin will still be intact when passed and look like a deflated worm. I have had my frog get minor constipation from being fed too many Hornworms. They are very large and take a little longer than night crawlers to digest. Use them as a treat a couple times a week, but not as a staple.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Froggiefressh View Post
    If a pac can't digest the hornworm's eyes wouldnt that be a problem? I feed my pac hornworms atleast once or twice a week. My little dude loves them and my pet store says they have more protein then 24 crickets.
    The eyes doo take up half of each side of the Hornworms face, but they are not really any harder for your frog to pass than large cricket heads which also are undigestable. Just don't over feed your frog on Hornworms. Too many is the same as feeding too large of a meal. Just because your frog can swallow and eat giant prey doesn't mean that he won't have trouble passing it. To many is the same as too large.

Thread Information