Thread: it is not tree frog ~ right ?

Iragil

Default it is not tree frog ~ right ?

An article say that it is semi-aquatic frog

my mossy is very shy, don't eat when i look at it.

what can l do ? and how should i make a simple and useful environment for it?

Name:  DSC08487_副本.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  138.1 KBName:  DSC08481_副本.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  116.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Mossys are not tree frog as in they do not belong to the Hylidae-family. However, they are tree-dwelling, so they are semi-aquatic/semi-arboral. You basically want a tropical tree frog terrarium, but with a real water area, preferably with moving water (a small filter or so, whcih you'll want anyway to keep it clean).

On a side note: Research -> Setup enclosure -> Buy frog

Iragil

Default Re: it is not tree frog ~ right ?

Thank you very much!!! "Research -> Setup enclosure -> Buy frog" is a very useful saying, i will follow it in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperJr View Post
    Mossys are not tree frog as in they do not belong to the Hylidae-family. However, they are tree-dwelling, so they are semi-aquatic/semi-arboral. You basically want a tropical tree frog terrarium, but with a real water area, preferably with moving water (a small filter or so, whcih you'll want anyway to keep it clean).

On a side note: Research -> Setup enclosure -> Buy frog

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

I'm glad to hear that. I keep mossys (Theloderma corticale) myself, so I'm happy to help if you ever need it. I know there are several very experienced mossy keepers here as well, so you'll find what you need

wesleybrouwer

It's not that only members of the Hylidae family contain tree frogs.
    Theloderma is a genus within the Rhacophoridae family, containing lots of tree frogs as well.

The semi-aquatic description should say it isn't an aquatic frog like Xenopus for example.
    Theloderma corticale do however spend most of it's time in or around water and less up in the canopy.
    They use their excellent camouflage to blend in to the surroundings, hanging just above or half way in the water, either in flooded caverns carved out by the river, attached to crevices on the rocks or on fallen trees laying in the river.
    At daytime they also can be found on top of rocks or wood in the river, depending on their camouflage for safety.

Eggs are often layed just above the water line on rocks, in the caverns or on wood, there is also taken note of clutches laid inside tree hollows above ground.

As terrarium you should take notice of this natural behaviour.
    A large amount of filtered water, preferably moving, is a pre.
    I used a depth of around 10 cm (4 inch).
    You can put in some wood and rocks on wich they will rest and lay their eggs on,
    some hollow cork around the water line in wich they can take refuge or lay the eggs in and probably some plants they can use for climbing.
    Photos are well suited, since they can take a lot of humidity.
    Some branches overhanging the water source in case they like to take an occasional climb and you got yourself a perfect enclosure.

Theloderma corticale can be kept in a rather wide temperature range, from 22-27 degrees celcius (71,6-80 fahrenheit) in the warm period.
    The cool period in the range they are coming from could reach at least 10 degrees celius (50 fahrenheit) wich indicates they need a rather cool resting period, especially in order to breed them.
    I kept them without any problems at 13 degrees celcius (55 fahrenheit) wich worked out.
    They are rather large frogs, so a tank size with a surface of around 90cmx50cmx50cm (35x20x20 inch) could house a breeding group of around 6-8 frogs.

They are amazing frogs, but take notice they must not be handled, since they appear to be rather sensitive.
    Not the absolute beginners frog if you ask me, although captive bred specimens are more and more available ruling out the problems you may find in most wild caught specimens.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wesleybrouwer View Post
    Not the absolute beginners frog if you ask me, although captive bred specimens are more and more available ruling out the problems you may find in most wild caught specimens.
    I actually disagree with you on this. In my experience, they are incredibly easy to care for and actually a great "beginner frog". Low temperature requierment, quite forgiving on the humidity (sincev you'll need a large water area anyway) and equipped with a slow metaboloism, they're really easy to care for.

(Of course, you still need to setup a proper home (with moving water, appropriate size etc.) and make all the research needed, but this is equally true for all frogs (or rather animals). Also, I personally don't take the "not to be handled" into consideration, since I strongly beleive no frogs should be handled)

AHHH so cute!!!!

Thread Information