Thread: small red spots on my frog :(

0h hey

Default small red spots on my frog :(

Ok I just noticed this today- and I stare at my frogs for a good chunk of time every night so it has to have happened recently.
    I saw my frog Astro eating his shed skin today, and shortly after I noticed small red spots on his back and around his butt.
    He and his tank mate have been enduring the cycling process and it is at the point where the ammonia is going down and nitrites are going up. Could these be ammonia or nitrite burns?
    Ever since I put him in the new tank he has been acting like he can't get comfortable. He swims back and forth and won't sit still for very long, but he has continued to sing and amplex, and even produced some fertile tadploes in his new tank (who are slowly being eaten by their mother). He hasn't been eating very well but I figured this is just because he's stressed from the move.

Could these also be a result of stress?

His tank mate has been acting fine and has a great appetite. She has been just relaxing and enjoying the new tank and shows no symptoms of anything.

To be safe I just moved him back into his old tank, which I kept running even though it has been vacant, in case something like this happens.
    I don't have any medication but I did drop some stress coat in there.

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 0h hey; February 18th, 2012 at 07:03 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

0h hey

Default Re: small red spots on my frog :(

Update: I added a "fungus clear" tank buddy (active ingredients: nitrofurazone, furazolidone, potassium dichromate) to the old tank with Astro because I figured it can't hurt.. it says it treats fungus and bacteria related conditions. I forgot I had them.

He is still swimming around like he can't get comfortable even in the established tank. Poor guy, I wish he would just chill out and eat something.

0h hey

Well I guess it was just irritation from shedding. He healed up fine. They both seem to be settled in to their new tank which appears to be fully cycled.

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Glad the spots went away! I am sorry I didn't notice this thread sooner.

When you say it seems to have fully cycled, how long has it been set up? It takes an average of 6-12 weeks to cycle.
    Do you have a test kit to monitor your readings?
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

0h hey

It's been set up for almost 3 weeks. I did add gravel from an established tank, and I have some live plants too. I did 1/5 -1/4 water changes every couple of days.
    I'm getting less than 0.25 for my ammonia which is past its spike and my nitrites are going down after having spiked. The cycle may not be fully complete but it appears to at least be on the downward swing. I did however add some melafix to the tank (not a full dose) as a precaution for my other frog and I suppose it's possible that it knocked backed the nitrites and they will spike again.
    Several websites I've researched online say it can take as little as 2 weeks to cycle.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I am pretty sure he mentioned that he transferred filter media at one point in another thread. Live plants also help speed up a fresh water cycle. Not sure how heavily planted he is though.

EDIT: Just noticed his last post.

0h hey

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    I am pretty sure he mentioned that he transferred filter media at one point in another thread. Live plants also help speed up a fresh water cycle. Not sure how heavily planted he is though.

EDIT: Just noticed his last post.
    I'm a SHE. Lol. The guy in my avatar is Andy Warhol. My real name is Ariane.

Nationality
    [Canada]

My bad....Yeah, that's not awkward or anything.

0h hey

Haha I don't care. I'm a tomboy anyway.

Thread Information