Thread: Getting the Correct Temperature for D. auratus

Default Getting the Correct Temperature for D. auratus

I am expecting to get my first group of D. auratus next week so I got my tank set up, planted, etc... this week and although I have no problem keeping the humidity around 80-90% my temps hover right at the 68-70 mark. Most forums I read said that they don't use any type of supplemental heat, other than their lights, but i'm worried that the tank is too cool. What is the best method of raising it just a few degrees? (I don't want the little guys to be too cold but I certainly don't want to cook 'em)

Oh, and if it helps: I am using a an Exo-Terra medium terrarium (18" by 18" by 24" or about 33 gallons) With a custom made glass top. And currently the Exo-Terra hood with two compact florescence (the repti glo 5.0 and the repti glo 2.0) I didn't want to get a spot unless I needed it out of fear of being too hot.

Much appreciation!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

fluffypanda

Default Re: Getting the Correct Temperature for D. auratus

I had the same problem so i just used a heat pad. depending on how your tank is set up the placement of the heat pad will change. in my auratus's temporary viv i am using rocks as a drainage layer with a heat pad under the tank and it keeps it at a perfect temp! but if you have an egg crate false bottom or something you might want to put it on the wall.

Thanks so much Grahm! I'm using Terra-lite so i'll probably start with it under the tank and see how it goes!

wesleybrouwer

It's to bad you already ordered them.
    Not the best idea to take home some frogs when you still didn't get the tank in order.
    That is why you need to prepare the tank a while before getting the frogs.
    Problems like this with the temperature may need some tweaking, doing this with the frogs already inside may pose problems to them.
    Auratus need a temperature of 75-79 fahrenheit, so it's still way off.
    If possible, the best you can do is wait just a few weeks before ordering them home.
    You might put in some bulbs with a higher wattage, try a heat cable or mat or put a aquarium heater in the water part if you have any.
    When you get you're temperature in the right region for a couple of days, you're ready to get yourself the frogs, although it's best to see if you can keep the temperature up for a couple of weeks.
    In the mean time the plants and mosses have some time to adjust, probably some will die and you can change them without disturbing the frogs in the terrarium.

Thread Information