Thread: Does anyone know what's happened? RIP.

Kristen

Unhappy Does anyone know what's happened? RIP.

Hi, I was just about to feed my Southern Brown tree frogs when I saw one of them has died,
    He was around three/four months old. He was in a separate container from all my other brown tree frogs cause he was so little (1.5cm), he had a tank buddy around the same size as him who seems fine.
    I think he might have passed because of the temperature, because it is pretty hot today 30°C (86°F), but the temparature has been around 24°C (75.2°F) in my house.
    He had been acting and eating normally last night. When I found him he was stuck to the wall of the tank.
    In his tank it has sphagnum moss on the floor with 3 big river pebbles, a bit of drift wood and a little container of water. I'm not sure of the temperature/humidity in his tank because Southern Brown tree Frogs are native to Victoria and don't need any special heating/lighting/humidity.
    I'll try get a picture of him, but I can't find my camera at the moment.
    Ask any questions, because I just want to know what happened to him.
    Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Odica

Hm even if a native to the area the temp in that tank could well exceed the temp/ humidity outside if it was 75 out but your in a glass jar your gonna get hot fast. For a small frog this could have been to much. Any way there was another frog in the tank? You should clean that entire tank just in case. You don't want two frogs to be lost also you may want to think about getting some gauges. The water did you treat it? I'm sorry about your frog and good luck with the other little frog.

Kristen

Default Re: Does anyone know what's happened? RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Odica View Post
    Hm even if a native to the area the temp in that tank could well exceed the temp/ humidity outside if it was 75 out but your in a glass jar your gonna get hot fast. For a small frog this could have been to much. Any way there was another frog in the tank? You should clean that entire tank just in case. You don't want two frogs to be lost also you may want to think about getting some gauges. The water did you treat it? I'm sorry about your frog and good luck with the other little frog.
    I don't think it was too hot in his tank, it was cooler inside my house than it was outside, and the top of the tank is mesh so its very ventilated. But it has been very hot lately and maybe he couldnt cope with it.
    I cleaned the whole tank and moved the other little frog into a big plastic container. I'm gonna be keeping a close eye on him, because I really don't want to lose two of my babies
    I'll look around for some gauges at my pet shop, thank you
    and I used tap water thats de-chlorinated.
    Thanks

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
    Hi, I was just about to feed my Southern Brown tree frogs when I saw one of them has died,
    He was around three/four months old. He was in a separate container from all my other brown tree frogs cause he was so little (1.5cm), he had a tank buddy around the same size as him who seems fine.
    I think he might have passed because of the temperature, because it is pretty hot today 30°C (86°F), but the temparature has been around 24°C (75.2°F) in my house.
    He had been acting and eating normally last night. When I found him he was stuck to the wall of the tank.
    In his tank it has sphagnum moss on the floor with 3 big river pebbles, a bit of drift wood and a little container of water. I'm not sure of the temperature/humidity in his tank because Southern Brown tree Frogs are native to Victoria and don't need any special heating/lighting/humidity.
    I'll try get a picture of him, but I can't find my camera at the moment.
    Ask any questions, because I just want to know what happened to him.
    Thank you.
    Hi Kristen,
    sorry !
    That's odd. I wonder why he did not move off the glass? That makes me think heat.
    Could the sunlight have gotten on the tank ( if even for a second)?
    Could he have swallowed moss?
    Again, so sorry!
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    Hi Kristen,
    sorry !
    That's odd. I wonder why he did not move off the glass? That makes me think heat.
    Could the sunlight have gotten on the tank ( if even for a second)?
    Could he have swallowed moss?
    Again, so sorry!
    Lynn
    Thank you
    yeah I didn't realise he was dead untill I had a closer look that he had died :'(
    Yeah, the weather has been so crazy, it went from being really hot (around 40°C) to really cold and stormy. Would it have been the weather changes?
    His tank is away from alot of windows so I dont think so, and the blinds were shut because of the heat.
    He might have, the moss is fairly large and his fairly little, but there is definitely a chance, would he do it if he was hungry, or while he was trying to eat?
    and if it helps he was eating pisces baby crickets.
    Thank you.

Danam1218

What kind of water do you provide? I don't know if the tapwater where you live is chlorinated or not but if it is and you don't dechlorinate it, that can be really harmful to an animal that breathes and drinks through its skin. Just a theory. I'm sorry you lost one of your babies

Kristen87

Hi Kristen (nice name ),

I'm in Victoria too, the weather really has been crazy these last few days... If I had to guess I'd say it would most probably be to do with that. It might not necessarily be that it got too hot although it might have when you weren't there, but it could have been to do with the temp rising and dropping so quickly that his little body couldn't cope with the sudden extreme changes. Remember frogs die in the wild too, and maybe he just couldn't take it Don't blame yourself, sometimes these things happen. It would definately be worth buying gauges and a water heater (if the water area is big enough) or a heat pad though, and if you haven't already try to make sure the tank isn't in direct sunlight so that its at risk of overheating (think of sitting in a non-airconditioned car on a hot day, even with the windows down it heats up pretty fast) or near any windows where there could be draft that cools the tank and reduces humidity.

"He might have, the moss is fairly large and his fairly little, but there is definitely a chance, would he do it if he was hungry, or while he was trying to eat?"
    They can ingest the substrate when they eat their food and this can sometimes cause impactation, which can kill frogs

Edit: I just re-read your last post about the windows and blinds so forget that part of my post!

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by Danam1218 View Post
    What kind of water do you provide? I don't know if the tapwater where you live is chlorinated or not but if it is and you don't dechlorinate it, that can be really harmful to an animal that breathes and drinks through its skin. Just a theory. I'm sorry you lost one of your babies
    The water in my area does have chlorine in it, but i dechlorinate it
    and thanks heaps.

Odica

How is the other frog doing now?

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen87 View Post
    Hi Kristen (nice name ),

I'm in Victoria too, the weather really has been crazy these last few days... If I had to guess I'd say it would most probably be to do with that. It might not necessarily be that it got too hot although it might have when you weren't there, but it could have been to do with the temp rising and dropping so quickly that his little body couldn't cope with the sudden extreme changes. Remember frogs die in the wild too, and maybe he just couldn't take it Don't blame yourself, sometimes these things happen. It would definately be worth buying gauges and a water heater (if the water area is big enough) or a heat pad though, and if you haven't already try to make sure the tank isn't in direct sunlight so that its at risk of overheating (think of sitting in a non-airconditioned car on a hot day, even with the windows down it heats up pretty fast) or near any windows where there could be draft that cools the tank and reduces humidity.

"He might have, the moss is fairly large and his fairly little, but there is definitely a chance, would he do it if he was hungry, or while he was trying to eat?"
    They can ingest the substrate when they eat their food and this can sometimes cause impactation, which can kill frogs

Edit: I just re-read your last post about the windows and blinds so forget that part of my post!
    Your name is equally as amazing
    Yeah the weather has been so crazy! I try for it not to get too hot for them and too keep their temp stable but lately with this weather its hard for me to keep it stable, and with school/work I cant keep a constant eye on it unfortunately I know but its just he was so little and helpless and it feels that if I did something different he would still be here
    I'm going to the reptile/amphibian expo tomorrow so hopefully I can pick some up there
    I'm hoping its not impactation, would this happen on all substrates or would it be better to have a certain type?
    thank you for you help!

Kristen

HELP! I just found another one dead!
    I dont know whats going on
    Ive taken pictures of him

I quickly went to the shops and got some new clean stones and a plastic tank, and covered it with this plastic stuff that they had at the pet store. They're in there now with some water.

I just really don't want to lose any more :'(
    Is there anything i can do to prevent this from happening again?
    Thank you

Thread Information