Thread: Holding a tree frog ok?

Odica

Default Holding a tree frog ok?

On almost every care sheet I have found it says never hold them unless I really have to. Is this true? There are alot of pictures on the net of ppl holding the frogs and even a few where they let the frog sit out like on a desk for a few. I have never held my frogs at all. But today I was putting new water in and nibbler jumped on to my arm he started to walk up my arm lol. But now I kinda want to hold him in my hand. Would this be safe and if not why?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Holding a tree frog ok?

I don't see why every now and again handling would be harmful. I would just make sure to wash your hands thoroughly before and after handling. A frog's skin is very sensitive. I hold my frogs every now and again. I had to pick up Froggy for his photos to move him to my make-shift light box. I was also feeding one of my grey tree frogs and s/he was sitting on top of my tongs and I picked him/her up and s/he started climbing up my hand. lol. Just as long as it is not every day I think they should be just fine.

Just make sure you wash your hands good before and after hold him. I don't see why you can't hold him and take him out. When mine was younger he would be all about sitting on me, not to mention if he got out of his cage I would find him on me sleeping hahah..that was years ago! But why not

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

Odica

Thanks guys I will try to hold him.
    Years ago? How old is your frog? How do I know how old my frogs are?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

As stated, there are occasions when holding your frog is fine.

Since frogs absorb things through skin contact, you have to understand that many items you might come in contact with are harmful to the frog, including the oils in your skin.
    Stuff stays on your hands for a long time so soap and even hand sanitizers needed to be rinsed off completely. If you used hand sanitizer earlier in day, it will transfer to the frog is not rinsed off even if its hours later.

The other main reason is your frogs biggest cause to illness is stress. If your frog comes to you and walks up onto your hand, that is definitely fine but reaching in and grabbing him as he attempts to elude you is not since you raised the stress level for him and any other frog in the tank.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

The main question is why you would like to hold him. It does not benefit the frog in anyway, and it could hurt it (and stress, which can cause illness). Also, something that needs to be said a lot more, the frog will never enjoy sitting on you, even if it feels like it to you. Like previously stated, it could be done without harming it, but it's a great risk in several ways with nothing to gain. If you really need to hold him (for a veterinarian visit or something like that), put on some powder free latex gloves and rinse them thoroughly before holding the frog.

I do handle my frogs from time to time for cage cleaning or photoshoots (I usually do both at the same time to get the most out of a handling). Hands are always well rinsed with plain water and I never do it on a day when I've touched any kinds of potentially nasty chemicals like hand sanitizers, sunscreen, paint, pumped gas, etc.

Gloves are a good option too like Martin suggests, and I keep some on hand in the event I have to move a frog and I don't know where my hands have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Odica View Post
    How do I know how old my frogs are?
    How long have you had them, were they adults when you acquired them? They are Hyla cinereas? I only have one experience with the one I own, and it took him a little over a year to reach full size, so that might help you narrow the age down. Or ask to see their drivers licence or birth certificate.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Once in awhile is fine, like when you run out of rubber gloves or he jumps on you. Just like everyone else said, make sure your hands are clean before and after you hold him. I used to hold my frog daily. He was pretty low-keel(keen?) and didn't seem to mind ( This was 5 years ago, I had no idea how holding him could adversely affect him.). Depends on the frog too. Some get stressed out easier than others.
    I have a frog. She's fat and green. Her name is Gertrude, because she is fat and green.

I think it depends on the frog. My frog was always out when he was younger. Now that he is older I don't handle him as much. If you frog seems to get stressed then yea I would avoid handling him. Well my frog could be a little older than he is. I have had Hetfield for 15 years and he wasn't a total baby when I got him.

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi All,
    I have 6 tree frogs for (going on 3 years). One A. moreletii and 5 A. callidryas.
    I can count on one hand how many times I have actually touched them.
    Rule of thumb- do not touch unless absolutely necessary !
    It's so stressful to them when they are handled.

Just think -what they might think? :
    1)I am going to eaten

or

2)I am going to be squashed

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"