Thread: I need more information on Whites Tree Frogs

AmysAnimals

Default I need more information on Whites Tree Frogs

Do I need additional lighting/heating for the frog? I do not want to use a heat pad so can I use lights?

With the exo terra fixture it has two places for bulbs I was thinking of getting a 5.0 compact fluorescent light and a 2.0 full spectrum light.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: I need more information on Whites Tree Frogs

Your for doesn't need special lighting so to get the temps you need you can use lighting. Mine actually liked a red night light also. Usually found them under it late at night.

The full spectrum will be great for plants and the 5.0 isn't needed but would be fine, just watch you don't get your temps too high.
    I use only compact florescent bulbs from Walmart under the Reveal brand and labeled daylight 6500K. Think they are about 5 bucks.

Kristen87

Sorry to hijack, Don are you saying they don't need a UV light? I thought they would need it for vitamin D so they can absorb calcium... Or is vitamin D supliment dusting enough? I'm in the process of setting up a new tank for my whites and want to know whether to buy a UV for the new tank or just plain lighting.

AmysAnimals

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    Your for doesn't need special lighting so to get the temps you need you can use lighting. Mine actually liked a red night light also. Usually found them under it late at night.

The full spectrum will be great for plants and the 5.0 isn't needed but would be fine, just watch you don't get your temps too high.
    I use only compact florescent bulbs from Walmart under the Reveal brand and labeled daylight 6500K. Think they are about 5 bucks.
    Thanks! That is helpful. I am thinking she will have live plants in her vivarium since I think I read they are better than fake plants so I will definitely need a light for those. =)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen87 View Post
    Sorry to hijack, Don are you saying they don't need a UV light? I thought they would need it for vitamin D so they can absorb calcium... Or is vitamin D supliment dusting enough? I'm in the process of setting up a new tank for my whites and want to know whether to buy a UV for the new tank or just plain lighting.
    That is really a controversial topic and a great question. Here is why:
    Since they are tree frogs and only active at night, they rarely get any sunlight in the wild so would it be beneficial.
    Now on the other side, sunlight penetrates oceans, through leaves in the trees, and even damages (with UV) materials through a window, and even can give you a sunburn on a cloudy day. So, the frog should or would receive UV defused where its located during the day in the wild hmmmmmm

From what I understand, they do not need UV for the absorption of calcium and calcium is actually added to their blood cells through the digestion process and not absorption.

I think they can utilize UV but it shouldn't be provided with a bulb of over 2.0 since they don't bask and would only receive UV defused by the things above and around them in the trees they live and hide in.

I don't use UV lighting for my darts or tree frogs but do continually supplement calcium every other feeding.

Kristen87

Awesome, thanks. I knew turtles could get metabolic bone disease if they have inadequate UV lighting, because the vitamin D in UV boosts the absorption of calcium in the intestines necessary for healthy bone growth, but with frogs not having a carapace made of bone, not being diurnal and not being reptiles that bask in the sun for warmth I wasn't sure about their UV requirements... So MBD isn't an issue with nocturnal frogs that you've heard of?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen87 View Post
    Awesome, thanks. I knew turtles could get metabolic bone disease if they have inadequate UV lighting, because the vitamin D in UV boosts the absorption of calcium in the intestines necessary for healthy bone growth, but with frogs not having a carapace made of bone, not being diurnal and not being reptiles that bask in the sun for warmth I wasn't sure about their UV requirements... So MBD isn't an issue with nocturnal frogs that you've heard of?
    Not that I have heard of but i have never heard anything negative about use of 2.0 lighting also :-)

Kristen87

Good point... Might get a 2.0 then to be on the safe side Thanks for your help!

Thread Information