Thread: Predicted Adult Growth

Amphibifan

Default Predicted Adult Growth

Hi folks. Just a quick question: If you have a male pixie frog, is it more or less common for it to grow to a length of 9 in.? Every care sheet out there says between 9 and 10 in. if it is a male, but it seems like the ones I see on you tube and internet pics are more in the 7 to 8 in range. So, which is the most common size for, let's say, a two year old male? Is there something you can do to control the growth when you have a froglet in either direction, i.e. make it a smaller or a bigger frog? Just wondering, as I've new to the world of pixies and plan on buying more when I'm in a secure life situation. Thanks for the info.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mikey

Default Re: Predicted Adult Growth

Most males in captivity fail to see the 9 or 10 inch range. 9-10inches african bullfrogs (males) are typically seen in the wild, but are uncommon to see from a captive bred individual. That being said it is impossible. Out of my 11 CB males, I have 2 that are 8-9 inch range and still growing. I have 3-4 that are older that reached around 8 inches and stopped growing length wise.

Needless to say 9-10inch is not common.

nebraskaz71

Ill be happy is my male gets to 8 lol

Amphibifan

Veddy Veddy interesting. I thought the imported/captive bred thing was the answer. I got mine at petsmart so I'm pretty darn sure its a captive bred. Why the difference in size?

nebraskaz71

Captive bred in general dont have the perfect enviroment always compared to their natural settings and natural diet imo.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibifan View Post
    ...Is there something you can do to control the growth when you have a froglet in either direction, i.e. make it a smaller or a bigger frog? Just wondering, as I've new to the world of pixies and plan on buying more when I'm in a secure life situation. Thanks for the info.
    Agree with you that 9-10 in. African Bullfrog's are rare to come by. Even for wild ones; would like to see one with a ruler right on top of it showing it's actually 10 in. snout to vent. Because they are massive, many owners claim they are 9-10 in. but in actuality are more like 7 in.

Yes; think you could control growth to certain extent with the amount and quality of food and care provided. Got Stilgar as a 2 in. froglet. early November 2011. He is reaching 6 in. now and his December growth was phenomenal. Although not estivating, he's been less active since January and I suspect it's an internal clock or the Winter slowdown thing. One of his brother/sister is still at Pet Shop and it barely reaches 3 in. Obviously that frog does not eat or is being care for like mine; so I would doubt if we compare them a year from now it could catch up with my Stilgar; even if sold tomorrow and cared well for.

Couple points to think about is that like humans; animal growth speeds up during certain stages in life and if nutrition or quality of life is not to par, the organism will suffer and could even perish. Think it's important to watch your frogs behavior and target those stages to extract maximum benefit to whatever the frog's genetic make-up will allow.

If interested in growing a big African Bullfrog would recommend you get a young one from a good source and feed it a varied diet based on earthworms (i.e. Canadian night crawlers) and crickets or roaches. Dust food with Ca every other meal and a multi-vitamin (not on same day) once a week specially during active growth. Once growth slows down you can reduce dustings to 1/4 of that. Also, keep it's water clean and provide needed humidity and temperature parameters per forum's Care Article. Who knows; one day you might surprise us with your 9-10 in. monster ABF pics.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Locascio

POWER FEED your pixies the first 6months of life gutlode everything it eats and dont feed mice or rats ever!! once hes big enuff feed chickens after you subment there feed be4 feeding to your pixie thos give the best groth in my frogs also try and feed as meany diffrint things as possble the one reason that i see in wild pixies is thay never stop eating small meals all day a bug hear a grasshopper there its a nonestop buffa and i have worked with wild and cb pixies there like 2 differnt frogs in my eyes and last but not lest houseing i cant express that enuff with pixie owners the larger the cage the bigger the frog and that holds tru with alot of hurps

Thread Information