Thread: Frog/Toad identification help from Indonesia please

yaz

Lightbulb Frog/Toad identification help from Indonesia please

Hi Everyone

First post I know - I was wondering who these three are, and whether or not they are friend or foe (dangerous or not).

Name:  2012-02-02 14.00.34.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  44.1 KBName:  2012-02-02 14.00.06.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  46.1 KBName:  2012-02-02 13.59.31.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  59.3 KBName:  2011-12-10 20.58.28.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  28.4 KB

All were in Bintaro, where I live. The green guy found his way in a house I was staying at when there was heavy rainfall outside. Adorable little thing and a very good jumper! He was jumping in metre long strides easily.

The red guys are staying at the back of the house I'll be moving into soon. One of them is the size of a pebble (so possibly still a baby?) and very shy. The other guy is about the size of a small fist with large black paratoid glands (so I daren't touch him! ) and what looks to be dry skin. Without any knowledge I imagine these two are toads?

Also got a few pictures of other lizards here ... but I'm not sure you're interested in the geckos living in these parts. Two I already know the names of as they're quite easy to identify ... but one has me stumped (and I'd like an ID please )

Thank you all for looking! Hope to hear from you soon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frog/Toad identification help from Indonesia please

The top 3 are toads, probably Duttaphrynus (Bufo) melanostictus. It is a common toad that is found from India to Indonesia. The bottom photo is a tree frog, but have no idea what species. All of them are harmless. Welcome to Frog Forum
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

yaz

Quote Originally Posted by tgampper View Post
    The top 3 are toads, probably Duttaphrynus (Bufo) melanostictus. It is a common toad that is found from India to Indonesia. The bottom photo is a tree frog, but have no idea what species. All of them are harmless. Welcome to Frog Forum
    Thank you very much tgampper. Google imaging Duttaphrynus Melanosticus certainly shows it to be the same ( Asian Toad - $0.00 : Sandfire Dragon Ranch ) ... I had no idea the species comes in so many different colours.

Looking forward to getting an ID for the other guy ... I'm starting quite a collection of photos - all taken with my trusty mobile phone too

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by yaz View Post
    Thank you very much tgampper. Google imaging Duttaphrynus Melanosticus certainly shows it to be the same ( Asian Toad - $0.00 : Sandfire Dragon Ranch ) ... I had no idea the species comes in so many different colours.
    Generally speaking, young toads will have a different color or pattern than the adults. It is a pretty toad, but what I understand it is a invading eastern Indonesia. In some places, it is becoming as bad as the cane toad.

Quote Originally Posted by yaz View Post
    Looking forward to getting an ID for the other guy ... I'm starting quite a collection of photos - all taken with my trusty mobile phone too
    Still looking for an ID of that tree frog. The problem is that there are very few resources on the frogs and toads of Indonesia.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Thread Information