Thread: Mixing tree frogs

LDix

Question Mixing tree frogs

First time posting, and beginner.
    YES, I have read it all before, "Do not mix species". I'm curious to know if this is a recommendation because people will mix species that they shouldn't. Or if it is a 100% no! I would like to have a few red eyes and a tiger striped monkey tree frog together, from what I have read they are very similar when it comes to size of the enclosure, temperature and humidity. Although I am a beginner, my boyfriend has had everything from snapping turtles, snakes, monitors, frogs, large fish, basically everything! So I'm not doing this alone or just with the help of "google". Can it be done? Honest opinions please, if you have mixed before tell me how it went!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

mim

Default Re: Mixing tree frogs

Quote Originally Posted by LDix View Post
    First time posting, and beginner.
    YES, I have read it all before, "Do not mix species". I'm curious to know if this is a recommendation because people will mix species that they shouldn't. Or if it is a 100% no! I would like to have a few red eyes and a tiger striped monkey tree frog together, from what I have read they are very similar when it comes to size of the enclosure, temperature and humidity. Although I am a beginner, my boyfriend has had everything from snapping turtles, snakes, monitors, frogs, large fish, basically everything! So I'm not doing this alone or just with the help of "google". Can it be done? Honest opinions please, if you have mixed before tell me how it went!
    well like u said, its a no no. as far as im aware the frogs have different toxins and they can be absorbed through their skins and can b dangerous. even if for a while they seem fine over time it will eventually lead to the frogs contaminating each other. i personally only have two whites but any new frogs i get will go into seperate tanks. i have read that ppl have mixed species 'successfully' but i dont know if this is really true. it may just be that the frogs toxins have not yet got into the others system and is only a matter a time. i dont think itd b worth the risk tbh. im no expert but from what iv read id say dont do it!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Mixing tree frogs

The ONLY and I mean ONLY frogs that I've seen mix well are Green Tree Frogs and Eastern Gray/Cope's tree frogs. The two not only are the same size and have similar living requirements, but they don't secret toxins that are harmful to each other. Your biggest concern is what those frogs secrete through their skin. I personally wouldn't want to do it. The frogs could end up killing each other.
    I have a frog. She's fat and green. Her name is Gertrude, because she is fat and green.

Thread Information