Thread: Is this impaction?

TheGreatS

Default Is this impaction?

My waxy monkey tree frog has a poop that's dangling behind him by a fibrous strand, which I suppose is lodged somewhere in the intestines. I have eco-earth as the substrate but he must have eaten a stray fiber or hair with his crickets. Anyway, yesterday I put him in a warm bath for 15 minutes and nothing happened. After reading some more things online, I don't think I had the water warm enough; it was a bit cooler than lukewarm. So now I have him in a warmer bath and I plan to keep him in there for 30 min. So far he's been in there for almost 20 minutes and again nothing is happening.

Anyone have any further suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Is this impaction?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatS View Post
    My waxy monkey tree frog has a poop that's dangling behind him by a fibrous strand, which I suppose is lodged somewhere in the intestines. I have eco-earth as the substrate but he must have eaten a stray fiber or hair with his crickets. Anyway, yesterday I put him in a warm bath for 15 minutes and nothing happened. After reading some more things online, I don't think I had the water warm enough; it was a bit cooler than lukewarm. So now I have him in a warmer bath and I plan to keep him in there for 30 min. So far he's been in there for almost 20 minutes and again nothing is happening.

Anyone have any further suggestions?
    Can you see what is hanging out? Are you sure its a hair?

TheGreatS

It's really difficult to determine if it's a hair or a very thin fiber from his substrate.

TheGreatS

Actually, I take that back. I'm 99% certain it's a hair because I clearly see a loop of hair sticking out from the poop.

Nationality
    [United States]

Actually, I take that back. I'm 99% certain it's a hair because I clearly see a loop of hair sticking out from the poop.
    While he is soaking very gentley pull on it to see if it moves any. Very. Carefully. I can't stress that enough. This is just to see if its just stuck at the end of the vent. You may be able to resolve this issue. Its not an actual impaction since he was able to poop.

Let me know.

TheGreatS

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    While he is soaking very gentley pull on it to see if it moves any. Very. Carefully. I can't stress that enough. This is just to see if its just stuck at the end of the vent. You may be able to resolve this issue. Its not an actual impaction since he was able to poop.

Let me know.
    I'm almost certain it's lodged up there further rather than being stuck on the vent. I've seen it retract inside him. It's as if he's squeezing and trying to expel it out and it will come out a centimeter or two, but once he stops, it retracts to where it was before. It's like a poop yo-yo... With this new info, do you still want me to try to pull? I'm REALLY scared to do that. My hunch is that the end of the hair is stuck on more feces somewhere in the GI tract.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm almost certain it's lodged up there further rather than being stuck on the vent. I've seen it retract inside him. It's as if he's squeezing and trying to expel it out and it will come out a centimeter or two, but once he stops, it retracts to where it was before. It's like a poop yo-yo... With this new info, do you still want me to try to pull? I'm REALLY scared to do that. My hunch is that the end of the hair is stuck on more feces somewhere in the GI tract.
    I don't want you to hurt your frog that's for sure. I've had to pull a strand of moss out of one of my pacmans back when I used moss. Lukily it was only in her about an inch. No harm was done, but with a strand of hair there is no telling how far it could be. This is very uncomfertable for the frog. You may have to see a vet and get some amphibian laxatives to make him expell the hair. Or the vet may try to pull and see if can be extracted with out harming your frog. This is touchy. You can still try just to see if it moves a little, but the moment you feel any resistance hou must stop. If you would rather a vet see him it may be best.

TheGreatS

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I don't want you to hurt your frog that's for sure. I've had to pull a strand of moss out of one of my pacmans back when I used moss. Lukily it was only in her about an inch. No harm was done, but with a strand of hair there is no telling how far it could be. This is very uncomfertable for the frog. You may have to see a vet and get some amphibian laxatives to make him expell the hair. Or the vet may try to pull and see if can be extracted with out harming your frog. This is touchy. You can still try just to see if it moves a little, but the moment you feel any resistance hou must stop. If you would rather a vet see him it may be best.
    So I took my frog to the vet today. She was able to pull out some of the hair. Not sure how much is still inside. She was concerned that the hair can act as a cutting-agent to his intestines and prescribed him some trimeth-sulfa. She did not recommend using any sort of laxatives and said that I should allow it to try to pass on its own.

I really hate trying to pry his mouth open for the antibiotic. He's been under so much stress today so I'm going to leave him alone for now. I'm still unsure about the whole laxative idea. From what I've read online, it seems like mineral oil wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Sigh. I really don't know what to do.

Thread Information