Thread: Cane Toad Help

Inigo

Default Cane Toad Help

Hey guys I have currently one Cane Toad,I was told he was captive bred but im not so sure,he was very skinny when i got him in september and took a long while to settle in,he ate a lot of crix on the first day but then did not eat anything for four months,all of a sudden he start eating waxworms like they were going out of fashion he also ate a few nice sized earthworms,so i moved him to a new bigger and better viv,im pretty sure he has all the right stuff like hides,temps and humidity however he has stopped eating again,people tell me this is normal as were still in winter and he will be off his food for a while,but how does this sound to you guys,i should mention he soaks in his water bowl in bottled water with AviPro mixed in almost everynight and he does not appear to be losing weight or to be sick,but i usually look after torts and snakes and they all eat quite regularly so im a little new to all this,but not to keeping exotics.
    However i am open to all and any suggestions you might have for me as i like to do the very best for any animal i have in my care
    Thank you in advance
    Steve

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Cane Toad Help

Quote Originally Posted by Inigo View Post
    Hey guys I have currently one Cane Toad,I was told he was captive bred but im not so sure,he was very skinny when i got him in september and took a long while to settle in,he ate a lot of crix on the first day but then did not eat anything for four months,all of a sudden he start eating waxworms like they were going out of fashion he also ate a few nice sized earthworms,so i moved him to a new bigger and better viv,im pretty sure he has all the right stuff like hides,temps and humidity however he has stopped eating again,people tell me this is normal as were still in winter and he will be off his food for a while,but how does this sound to you guys,i should mention he soaks in his water bowl in bottled water with AviPro mixed in almost everynight and he does not appear to be losing weight or to be sick,but i usually look after torts and snakes and they all eat quite regularly so im a little new to all this,but not to keeping exotics.
    However i am open to all and any suggestions you might have for me as i like to do the very best for any animal i have in my care
    Thank you in advance
    Steve
    I'm no expert and I don't own Cane Toads, but most frogs and toads become stressed and if he had already adjusted to the housing you had him in when you got him and you recently moved him into a new larger home he will need to readjust to the new surrounding once again. You can also cover 3 sides of his enclosure with a background so he doesn't feel exposed.

I hope this helps.

Inigo

Default Re: Cane Toad Help

Thank you for your time on this subject i have closed off the three sides of his viv with card board so fingers crossed thank you
    Steve

Thread Information