Thread: Transporting Pixie across country quesstions

snakecharmr728

Question Transporting Pixie across country quesstions

Hello, I am new to the forum. I run a local non-profit reptile rescue in Ca, but will be moving to Tx in the next few months. We will be driving, uhaul style and dragging the whole animal family with us. (2 dogs, 1 cat, 8ft redtail boa, 4ft argentine tegu and our new African Bullfrog) He is housed in 20gal long, with 4-5inch of ecoearth, with a large dish and heat lamp for when the temp drops.

I am needing suggestions on the best way to transport him. I figured leaving him in his tank would be less stressful for our 2 day drive. Would this be ideal or would a traveling tank (kritter keeper type like deal) be more suitable??? Let me know what you all think!

Thanks a bunch!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Transporting Pixie across country quesstions

If it's a glass tank I would say don't transport him in that in case it breaks/cracks. Depending on the size of the frog I would use a large, deep tupperware container and put a lot of ecoearth in it. Moisten the ecoearth (a little more than usual) and pierce several holes in the lid of the tupperware container with the blade of a large scissors or something substantial to prevent the ecoearth clogging the holes, and just transport him in that. If you're transporting him when the temperature is about 15 oC or higher (~60 F) then heating isn't necessary. Just check on the ecoearth every day or so to make sure it's moist. He should be fine like this.

snakecharmr728

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    If it's a glass tank I would say don't transport him in that in case it breaks/cracks. Depending on the size of the frog I would use a large, deep tupperware container and put a lot of ecoearth in it. Moisten the ecoearth (a little more than usual) and pierce several holes in the lid of the tupperware container with the blade of a large scissors or something substantial to prevent the ecoearth clogging the holes, and just transport him in that. If you're transporting him when the temperature is about 15 oC or higher (~60 F) then heating isn't necessary. Just check on the ecoearth every day or so to make sure it's moist. He should be fine like this.
    Given that he is 100% healthy and we keep him in the correct traveling container, should we keep him dark even during the day? lizards travel best like that. How high is the risk factor of stress? stress-induced death? Thanks so much for your reply!

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Keeping him dark is probably for the best. Provided he's healthy and you're not traveling for more than a couple of days, I really can't imagine him having any problems.

Thread Information