View Poll Results: Sand vs. Gravel vs. something else (river rocks, etc)

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • sand

9 90.00%
  • gravel

1 10.00%
  • something else (river rocks, etc)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Sand vs. Gravel vs. something else (river rocks, etc)

littlemissprincess

Default Sand vs. Gravel vs. something else (river rocks, etc)

I cannot decide which kind of substrate to use! I want something that looks great and is not hard to clean. Just want to see everyones opinion

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

S13

Default Re: Sand vs. Gravel vs. something else (river rocks, etc)

I use reef sand in my turtles aquarium with no problems. Not 100% sure on how it would impact an ACF. I'm sure someone has experience with it.

EDIT: I'm gonna pick sand because I like the way it looks. I also like the big rocks too, as I have a few of those in my turtles tank also, with a few sea shells lol.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I am choosing sand because I think it looks nice.

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

I choose sand because short of having a bare bottomed tank, I found it to be the easiest substrate to take care of. I have had bare bottomed, sand, gravel, small rocks, larger river rocks, and tiles...but I like sand the best
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Jenste View Post
    I choose sand because short of having a bare bottomed tank, I found it to be the easiest substrate to take care of. I have had bare bottomed, sand, gravel, small rocks, larger river rocks, and tiles...but I like sand the best
    Agreed.

I use sand. It's safer than gravel and easier to clean than big rocks where food can get trapped. You can get pool filter sand (don't ask me where, I asked at Lowes and they looked at me like I had three heads) and that's white so looks nice, and it's cheaper than getting pet store sand. Or you can just get playsand from home depot, doesn't look as nice as the pool filter sand IMO but works just fine and it's cheap.

Sharra13

I chose sand because that is what I will be changing to in the near future. Right now I have some very pretty large, smooth "pebbles".....Much bigger than gravel but not as large as river rocks. The frogs can't eat them and they are soft on their little bodies, but they are SUCH a pain to clean and will trap the littlest bit of food in the layers. Ugh.

Sharra13

Name:  IMG_0681.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  95.7 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Are those marbles?

There is a concern with marbles because as the frog gets older, it is very easy to eat but impossible to pass. The blockage could kill the frog.
    Also, with a frog at that size there is a risk of the frog getting wedged in between the marbles or between the marbles and the cave's bottom.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [Canada]

Are those marbles?

There is a concern with marbles because as the frog gets older, it is very easy to eat but impossible to pass. The blockage could kill the frog.
    Also, with a frog at that size there is a risk of the frog getting wedged in between the marbles or between the marbles and the cave's bottom.
    I could be mistaken, but I believe those are not marbles. They are actually fairly big. There should be no chance of any siz frog accidently eating those. I agree about the cave though. Over the years of fish keeping (28) I have had just about every tragedy happen. I don't use anything that a creature could get trapped in or under anymore. I try to think of the worse case senario before adding something to a tank. With frogs there are a few additional challanges that you don't face even with fish.

Sharra13

They are not marbles--they are smiliar though. They are polished, frosted glass "pebbles" that are made for aquariums. Like I said, I am planning on switching to sand when I put them in their bigger tank soon. So far, they have not had any issues with the pebbles--WAY too big for them to even consider eating at this point. They are able to shove them around a tiny bit, but I have been keeping a close eye on them and it doesn't look like they are at risk of getting caught in them....still one more reason for me to switch to sand, though!

Nationality
    [United States]

I vote gravel. I know I am going against the grain here (no pun intended) but when I use sand they always manage to kick it up to be inhaled by the filter that eventually jams. But I will admit, sand looks much prettier

Sharra13

Switched Cecile and Ruth to the new, much larger tank the other day with sand. The sand was SUCH a pain to clean--we spent two hours washing it, but so worht it in the end. Put it in the new tank and let it sit for a day It was still fairly cloudy), then added the filter, and another day later the water was crystal clear! I ended up switching the frogs over before I planned...I originally wanted to run the filter for at least 24 hours before putting them in, but their older tank filter happened to break a couple days before and their tiny tank got GROSS super fast. Even with daily cleaning with a turkey baster, it was just aweful, and way more grungy than just the newer cloudy water of the large tank. Anyway, they adjusted right away and LOVE the sand. It is so easy to keep clean and look really nice.

Nationality
    [United States]

Just so you know, the new filter is not doing much of anything else other than making bubbles and moving water around. Filter bacteria - the stuff you WANT to grow and which is what actually filters the tank, can take 6-12 weeks to properly grow.

Do not replace the filter media in your tank....the instructions to replace every 4 weeks is simply a gimmick to make you spend money and is actually detrimental to the cycling of your tank.

If you don't know about the Nitrogen Cycle, do a quick search through Google

Nationality
    [Canada]

Just to clarify what Jenna is saying. Your filter is not established so the most important aspect of filtration is NOT in place. It will still mechanically filter your aquarium. Ie.. Remove solid waste and give the aquarium that "clean" look. It does however need to build up a solid bacterial (aerobic and anaerobic) colony to remove harmful ammonia and nitrite from your system. As she said look into the Nitrogen cycle and get a good understanding of it. The information is vital to the health of your animals.
    I upgraded my 10 gallon to a 33 gallon yesterday also. However my filter is fully "cycled" as I transferred media over from existing aquariums that I had been seeding for several months in anticipation of this upgrade.

Just so you know, the new filter is not doing much of anything else other than making bubbles and moving water around. Filter bacteria - the stuff you WANT to grow and which is what actually filters the tank, can take 6-12 weeks to properly grow.

Do not replace the filter media in your tank....the instructions to replace every 4 weeks is simply a gimmick to make you spend money and is actually detrimental to the cycling of your tank.

If you don't know about the Nitrogen Cycle, do a quick search through Google

Sharra13

Thanks guys--I'll look into it. I did think ahead on the fact that going right into brand new water could be bad for them, so we spent a lot of time slowly putting some of their old water into the new tank before moving them over to get it mixed with the new. They are sill doing great and love thier big tank.

Update on the sand: Still easier to clean thean the pebbles, but we have to keep at it daily. Little tiny bits of poo and decayed food get spread out easily, and it's a bit hard to pick all that up without taking any of the sand out. The sand was such a pain to clean that I don't want to end up "cleaning" to much of it out and having to refill. Hah! The frogs just seem happier with the "solid" floor over the pebbles. They can skuttle along easier, dig their feet in if they want, and they can find their food MUCH easier (without dropping it to gt lost bettwen pebbles forever). I have a little dish set into the sand where I (try) to put their food into every day (bloodworms at night and pellets in the morning), and they know now to head to that corner of the tank at meal times. If any food floats out of the bowl, it's super easy to put back in or for them to find on their own.

xxianxx

I use sand and a few large rocks for decoration and hiding places.

littlemissprincess

Wow thank you everyone for the awesome advice! I will be going with sand! Wish me luck

Thread Information