Thread: sick whites tree frog..urgent!

littlemissprincess

Exclamation sick whites tree frog..urgent!

hi, I bought a Whites tree frog 5 days ago from Petco. I feed him baby crickets every night. The first few nights I had him, he ate 3 crickets. Now he is only eating 1 cricket. That's not a huge concern, but what concerns me is his poo. His poo is quite smelly and very runny. His poo just looks like water with a little bit of dirt in it, if that makes sense. He is not really active, he usually sits up high on the glass cage, but sometimes I find him in his water pool or on a branch. When I hold him to give him his food, he does enjoy hopping and climbing about. He is also a nice vibrant green color, and his eyes look clear and bright. So are the watery droppings normal with him being new? Or is it an intestinal problem that needs treatment? Please let me know ASAP! I love my Little Lime thank you!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: sick whites tree frog..urgent!

Quote Originally Posted by littlemissprincess View Post
    hi, I bought a Whites tree frog 5 days ago from Petco. I feed him baby crickets every night. The first few nights I had him, he ate 3 crickets. Now he is only eating 1 cricket. That's not a huge concern, but what concerns me is his poo. His poo is quite smelly and very runny. His poo just looks like water with a little bit of dirt in it, if that makes sense. He is not really active, he usually sits up high on the glass cage, but sometimes I find him in his water pool or on a branch. When I hold him to give him his food, he does enjoy hopping and climbing about. He is also a nice vibrant green color, and his eyes look clear and bright. So are the watery droppings normal with him being new? Or is it an intestinal problem that needs treatment? Please let me know ASAP! I love my Little Lime thank you!!
    I am no expert and do not own White's Tree Frogs, but this is not normal. Could be parasites. Do you use de-chlorinated water? What are your temps and humidity levels? How often do you handle him? Although you may be inclined to handle your frog it can be bad for them and stressful. Stress can cause them to have runny droppings as well. I would suggest a trip to a herp vet.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

sometimes runny or watery droppings is a sign of parasites in the intestines but since the frog is new and you are handling him to feed it would be too hard to tell.

Stress does many things to frogs and they are usually not a pet we handle often since stress is one of the biggest reasons we lose frogs.
    They will sleep high in the enclosure since they are tree frogs and should be provided plenty of things to perch and climb on. He should be able to hide in some leafs or down in a bromeliad to feel secure.

They will soak pretty much nightly and will need that water changed almost daily with declorinated or spring water.

My suggestion would be to see how he feeds off a cricket bowl. A glass cereal bowl or smaller and just drop the crickets in. The glass, in combination with the round bowl bottom causes the crickets to lose traction and not escape.
    Remove the crickets in the morning and re-feed them the next night.

Also make sure your dusting the crickets with calcium every other feeding since he is probably a juvi.

I would also make sure your temps and humidity are good.
    I find mine usually go in the water when soaking or go where they were sleeping.

Nationality
    [United States]

Don can take it from here. Good luck.

littlemissprincess

Ok thank you! The humidity level is about 60% and the temp during the day is about 75 dropping to 65ish at night. And yes, I use purified bottled watter. I have been handling him every night to feed him. I will take Don's advice and start dusting the crickets with calcium and puting them in a glass bowl in my frogs tank. Thanks so much!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Is the water spring water? You want the minerals that comes in water for your frog so using tap with conditioner or spring is you best choices.
    I think there is a good article on water in one of the threads that you way want to look for.
    If i find it I'll post it here for you.

Here it is: http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...distilled.html
    Last edited by DonLisk; January 23rd, 2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: added link
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

littlemissprincess

it is a safeway brand "purified drinking water enhanced with minerals for fresh taste". Is this ok or do you still recommend spring water?
    thank you for the link!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Purified sounds like the minerals were removed so i would go with spring water which is usually available at a supermarket for about 50 cents a gallon.
    I use tap water with a reptile safe water conditioner.

littlemissprincess

ok thank you!

I would take him to a vet asap, it can be a parasite and it maybe completely treatable!!! Good luck!

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

littlemissprincess

thanks for the advice! His poops seem to be pretty normal now though and hetfield is quite cute by the way

Thread Information