Thread: ACF habitat; please help!

littlemissprincess

Exclamation ACF habitat; please help!

Hi! In a month or so, I will be puting Coconut (my african clawed frog) in a 10 gallon aquarium. I need to know what substrate and filtration is best! Also, will Coconut need any kind of lighting? What about decorations? Any other tips would also be appreciated thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sharra13

Default Re: ACF habitat; please help!

I will also be upgrading to a 10 gallon soon, so I hope some people give some great feedback!

Nationality
    [United States]

The first think I always strongly recommend that you buy a good book on African Clawed frogs.

There are many schools of thought as to what is housing is best, sand substrate vs. gravel, internal vs. external power filter, etc. What everyone does agree on is that the minimum tank size for one adult ACF is 15 gallon. And tht ACF generally dont need special lighting or lights at all. The general tank decoration should be pleasing to you, and interesting to you frog.

5. This member thanks rivkah for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Actually...I am against the book idea because most books have just regurgitated the same thing into becoming the new "fact" about frogs....similar to how the myth of goldfish and betta bowls became popular.

10 gallons is fine for one and only one frog.
    Substrate - I recommend bare bottomed or sand. It is much easier to keep clean.
    A lid is a must - these frogs can and will try to escape the tank.
    You want hiding places such as pieces of driftwood leaning in the corner and silk plants. These frogs have no eye lids so they do not like a strong light. I use floating plants to disperse the light - this way I can see my frogs and the frog can enjoy the shade.

What are you currently feeding your froglet? Diet is very important - I recommend HBH frog and tadpole bites when they are young, and ReptoMin sticks when they are older. These are both available at most pet stores in the reptile section.

I don't know what size tank Coconut is in now, but I do hope it is atleast 5 gallons. Small tanks mean the water gets polluted very quickly and dirty water can lead to red leg and then death.

A filter is recommended for these frogs. I have used Hang-on the back filters, internal filters, and canister filters with these frogs. For 10 gallons you have quite a selection to choose from. I do not advise undergravel filters.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

7. This member thanks Jenste for this post:

littlemissprincess

alright! Is gravel safe though? I hear different things; some say no gravel at all while others say its ok as long as the gravel is smalled than the size of a pea. I'm feeding him the food he came with, so I am not sure what it is called. The label on it says "stage two food". He came from a company called Grow-a-Frog with his own food and tank. So I am also not sure what size tank he is in, but it's definitely not 5 gallons. Coconut is still about the size of a quarter though. Here is a pic of what the tank looks like, its not my tank or frog, but this pic is the exact same size as my tank and frog (size-wise). Also, I am thinking about getting a Whisper EX20 filter
    I got this pic from the grow a frog website....thanks for the help
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [United States]

Yea unfortunately these are awful gimmicks. Grow a frog has a pretty bad rep with frog keepers because they sell froglets/tadpoles in absolutely inadequate conditions.

Even your baby frog needs a significantly bigger tank than what Grow a frog supplied. You probably have less than 1/2 - 1/3 gallon of water in there. Also, what is your feeding schedule like? Young frogs should be fed 1-2 feedings daily of about 4 little pellets. I believe Grow a frog instructs you to feed much less - this and the small tank are probably stunting the froglets growth.

You will hear different opinions on gravel - it does pose a swallowing and blockage risk. It also contributes to a messier tank because waste falls down in between the gravel pieces and rots.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

littlemissprincess

That is sad I am feeding him one nugget twice a day. I will start feeding him more! And alrighty, how do you clean sand??

Nationality
    [United States]

At any pet store you can get what the call a gravel/substrate siphon for water changes. Once you start the suction you hover it about 1/2 inch above the sand - it will suck up the waste but the sand will stay down.

littlemissprincess

ok thanks!!

kellym5505

Quote Originally Posted by littlemissprincess View Post
    ok thanks!!
    OMG! I have a Adult Male. he is in a 30 gallon Long tank with filter and gravel. tried sand and hated it. he eats 2 blood worm pellets in the am and pm. there is no way i would ever think of Keeping a Adult ACF in anything else , remember they love to swim and they love space. Maybe i am weird but if i was a ACF that was kept in a tank my whole life i would want a lot of room so i would not feel so confined. am getting another soon and will then upgrade to a 50 gal.

littlemissprincess

Yes, I'll be upgrading to the 10 gallon soon, and when he is an adult I will put him in a 29 gallon. Thanks for the advice!

Thread Information