Thread: Whites Tree Frog Lighting! Help please :)

littlemissprincess

Lightbulb Whites Tree Frog Lighting! Help please :)

Hi, I currently have my whites tree frog (Little Lime; LL for short) in a 10 gallon terrarium. It is a normal glass tank with a screen lid. I know it is a bit small, but LL is a small baby right now, so it is ok. Once LL gets a bit bigger, I am going to get a 29 gallon for him. The 29 gallon tank's dimension is 30in(length)x12in(width)x18in(height). Anyways, I have a hood light (with two light socket-things) right now, one socket-thing (not sure what it is called) has an Exo Terra Night Glo bulb, and the other socket has a Repti Glo 26watt 2.0 UVB light. The temperature is a little lower than I'd like (its usually 70degrees in the day).
    So, when I get the 29 gallon, that lighting will definitely not be enough. I will still keep the hood light with those two lights in it, but my question is what lighting should I have in addition to those? Because what I have now will not be enough heat. I have some extra clamp lamps, so I'd like to get bulbs that work for those. Do I need more UVB lights, any incandescent, more night light, or a heat lamp? Please specify the wattage and everything Any help would be GREATLY appreciated Thanks you!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by littlemissprincess; January 23rd, 2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason: upload pic

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Whites Tree Frog Lighting! Help please :)

The only reason for lighting is to provide a day and night cycle and to add heat if needed. If you have live plants then using a 6500K color temp bulb will good for the plants.

Your present lighting should be just fine unless you need more heat to bring temps to about 75 - 78 degrees in the day time and 68 - 72 at night. Biggest thing to watch is the humidity since lighting burns off the humidity. Covering part of the screen top will help retain heat and bring up humidity which should be about 60 percent with the day time lighting on.

littlemissprincess

most of the screen on my 10 gallon is covered, but still is not doing well keeping the humidity up. When I come home from school the humidity is at about 40%. The heat is pretty good though. When I get the 29 gallon, I will definitely be getting a fogger! I will probably not keep any live plants though. If the lighting I have now is not enough heat for the 29 gallon, what would you recommend? thanks for the help!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Depends what wattage you have going now really. Incandescent lighting will add heat better than a florescent bulb.
    What bulb type are you using now?

A under tank heap pad also adds some warmth and if placed on a side will make a warm side and a cooler side.

littlemissprincess

The lighting I have now is a 75watt night light (only on at night), and a Repti Glo 26 watt 2.0 UVB. And can a heating pad be put behind a Zoo Med Natural Tile Background? That is what will be on the sides of my cage. I don't think I can put the heating pad on the bottom of the tank because the tank will be on my carpet floor.

Thread Information