Thread: trying to figure out the best set up and care for cane and colorado river toad

toadguy72

Default trying to figure out the best set up and care for cane and colorado river toad

Hi everyone
    new to this site i have a colarado river toad, i was at a reptile show yesterday and a vender had some good prices on cane toads. i was told that they would get along together they are the same size (both smaller then the size of my palm) i have them in a thirty gallon breeder.(i am going to be eventualy put them in something larger). they have a basking light at one end of the tank a large water dish to soak in and there on coco fiber bedding. For food there getting large crickets,dubia roaches and i just picked up some super worms. im getting conflicting information on the super worms so i just wanna be sure that there safe to feed. im also getting conflicting information on cane toad care. I read that they have to have very high humidity in order to survive. Id like to know if hes going to be okay in the setup i have with the dish to soak in and the their encloser being lightly misted once or twice a day? would like to here on how others are keeping theres are set up and what they are feeding.
    thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wormwood

Default Re: trying to figure out the best set up and care for cane and colorado river toad

Cane toads don't need high humidity to survive, mine do just fine in normal apartment humidity 30-45. Be sure you include hides away from the basking light (Toads generally don't need a basking light as they are mostly nocturnal and if it's there for heat I'd suggest an heat pad attached to the side of the tank instead.) All the light will do is dry out the tank and the toads.

Dubia roaches, super worms and crickets are good feeders for them, so are earth worms.

DO NOT put them in the same tank. Cane toads are VERY toxin and you run a high risk of killing your Colorado river toad if they share the same water source. Whatever guy told you that at the reptile show is an idiot. Cane toads are toxic enough to kill full grown Crocs.

toadguy72

Default Re: trying to figure out the best set up and care for cane and colorado river toad

thanks foe the info, now im bummed out i try to do research and get information, and this is what happens i wasnt wanting to have to get an extra tank. Do you think it would be ok to get a larger tank and put a divider in it?

Wormwood

I personally wouldn't. Those toads are giant toads which will easily become as large as an adult man's balled fist (and thats on the small size). They need a lot of ground space so the smallest tank I'd suggest for each of them would be a 40 gallon breeder found at any pet store. Even then they can easily, easily leap the entire tank in one bound. I'd suggest taking them outside or letting them hop around a couple times a week in a large open area free of junk, either in your yard (if you don't use fertizliers and pest sprays) or in a spare room somewhere.

You can get a 40 gallon breeder tank pretty cheap on craigslist if you keep your eyes open in your area. They're about 2/3 the size of a bath tub and a little skinner in dimensions.

What it sounds like is the guy was just trying to make an easy sale and sell them off to you. I think it might be the same vender that travels out to the IL shows. He keeps like 6 cane toads crammed in a little 12x6 plastic carrier all ontop of each other. It's sad really.

6. This member thanks Wormwood for this post:

toadguy72

yea it sounds like him and it is sad, he said he had them for about a month. looks like ill be checking out craigs list.

Thread Information