Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: African Clawed Frogs Being Dyed?

FrogLover2009

Exclamation African Clawed Frogs Being Dyed?

I was walking in a recent pet place and I happen to stumble across some Albino African Clawed Frogs. I looked into the next tank and I seen them .......but they all had color....there were green, purple, pink, yellow, and red clawed frogs. I can't believe people would dye an animal a certain color just because it "sells". It seemed so cruel to do that. Its like if a baby was born and someone turned it freaking blue because it would seem new and odd. It's not fair to the animals if you ask me. Look at the pictures I attached and see for yourself. What do you guys think about it?

Name:  4e7c6ce3f32c9.jpg
Views: 15087
Size:  23.1 KBName:  20090814269.jpg
Views: 4637
Size:  63.2 KBName:  d997ef56422a5cc3_7.jpg
Views: 10848
Size:  35.3 KBName:  artificially-dyed-frogs3-550x345.jpg
Views: 7144
Size:  38.4 KB
    Last edited by FrogLover2009; January 22nd, 2012 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Forgot pictures

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: African Clawed Frogs Being Dyed?

Is this dangerous to the frog? It seems like it would be. I know there are some fish that get dyed different colors. Unfortunately for these frogs them being dyed and looking "cool" IS going to sell and most of the people buying are going to get them for just that reason and most likely wont do their homework before buying and the frogs will be the ones to suffer in the long run.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Some places dye dogs' fur because it's "cool" or "stylish". I dunno. If it's bad for the frog, then I'm not for it. But if it's like hairdye (non-toxic) then...whatever floats your boat I suppose.
    I have a frog. She's fat and green. Her name is Gertrude, because she is fat and green.

Nationality
    [United States]

This is terrible!

This has been happening in the fish world for years. Not only have certain species of fish been colored, but also been given patterns In England a petition had gone around to stop the practice. And "true" fish hobbyist will not shop at stores that sell dyed fish. The same is happening here in the States.

It is dangerous to fish, and many dont survive the process. Unlike the dye used on dogs or cats, where only the fur is colored, not unlike what ladies do ("Loreal, because I'm worth it"), the dyeing of fish is more like tatooing. Dye in injected under the skin. Another issue with this is that too many stupid people think that the bright green or pink or whatever, is the natural color, and buy the fish because of that particular color. This color does fade after a period of time, then the idiot no longer likes/wants that fish. Buying the fish for the wrong reason.

This dyeing process is dangerous and I am sure, just like with fish, some frogs do not survive the process. I am sure, just like with the fish, there are idiots out there that are only going to purchase the frog because of the color.... then once the color fades not want/like their pet. What then happens to the frogs?

Us in the fish world have been trying to stop this practice for years and have had some sucess, dyed fish are now rare if they can be found at all.

Frog people unite!!!! Stop the practice.... tell your local pet store not be buy these to resale! Do as we fish people had done... threaten to boycott the store until the practice is stopped.

Its just wrong, on some many levels!!!!!

Nationality
    [Canada]

I have never seen these in person thankfully. I think the "natural" colors are beautiful enough. What a waste. To anyone with knowledge about ACFs these frogs have been rendered unbuyable.

Sharra13

How strange! How do they even DO that???? I can see how people would think it looks cool (I have to admit it does in a funky way), but I can't imagine that is is good for the poor frog at all. I would be so sad if I saw that in a store.

I love my frogs' natural colors.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

This is a practice that shouldn't be tolerated. Let the store know that you disapprove and tell everyone you know not to buy them. It harms the frog and it's not natural.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

it truly is disgusting

Here is a picture of some dyed froglets. It is awful
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Angus

Thats not right at all.. if i see something like that here in moz ill do all i can to stop it!!!!1

BigBlue83

heres a story regarding this topic for you. Theres this local pet shop that i used to go to because it was closer to my house. well one day i went to get some things for my firebellys and my pacman. i went over to where they have box of crickets and the fish and i seen these frogs in a tank with fish. they were colored. i asked the employee what kinda frogs they were. and there response was i dont know!!! his response was i dont know, let me ask the guy who does the ordering. i have two african dwarf frogs and they looked a little similiar but alot bigger and more body mass. so i asked the manager hey are those african clawed frogs and why are they colored like that? that cant be natural. the manger couldnt even tell me what type of fog it was. after a few moments of me telling the manager what i believed he had and what his natural living conditions were, the guy who does the ordering came out. So i spoke with him about the coloring and the species. his only response was when i order they just say Frog in the aquatic section so i dont know what it is. jeesh i can go on a rant that will never end so needless to say i no longer give these morons any of my money. just goes to show you some people shouldnt have certain responsabilities at pet shops nor should some people even own pet shops!!!

0h hey

Quote Originally Posted by rivkah View Post
    This dyeing process is dangerous and I am sure, just like with fish, some frogs do not survive the process. I am sure, just like with the fish, there are idiots out there that are only going to purchase the frog because of the color.... then once the color fades not want/like their pet. What then happens to the frogs?
    Well consider me a stupid idiot, lol. My two ACFs were store-bought dyed froglets. 2 years later their color has since faded, and one ended up being a reticulated albino.
    After purchasing them I looked them up, I figured the color was bred into them somehow (I had never seen aquatic frogs before). Upon learning that they were dyed I of course felt bad, but I couldn't return them. I have had them for a couple of years now and they seem to be doing fine.

If I ever get another frog I want a natural colored non-albino. I would never buy another dyed one.
    I will post the pictures of Astro and Olive as froglets at some point and you can see how they matured. I am doing my best to be a responsible ACF owner these days and will be sure to spread the word about the (un)ethics of dyeing to anyone who is considering getting some ACFs.

0h hey

Pics are now in my album, for those interested.

14. This member thanks 0h hey for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Does this store have a web-site so we can let them know how wrong this is?
    Quote Originally Posted by FrogLover2009 View Post
    I was walking in a recent pet place and I happen to stumble across some Albino African Clawed Frogs. I looked into the next tank and I seen them .......but they all had color....there were green, purple, pink, yellow, and red clawed frogs. I can't believe people would dye an animal a certain color just because it "sells". It seemed so cruel to do that. Its like if a baby was born and someone turned it freaking blue because it would seem new and odd. It's not fair to the animals if you ask me. Look at the pictures I attached and see for yourself. What do you guys think about it?

Name:  4e7c6ce3f32c9.jpg
Views: 15087
Size:  23.1 KBName:  20090814269.jpg
Views: 4637
Size:  63.2 KBName:  d997ef56422a5cc3_7.jpg
Views: 10848
Size:  35.3 KBName:  artificially-dyed-frogs3-550x345.jpg
Views: 7144
Size:  38.4 KB

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by 0h hey View Post
    Pics are now in my album, for those interested.
    Those are some fine looking frogs. Glad to see there are no ill effects from the process and they are doing just fine. Thanks for posting those.

Nationality
    [United States]

I was a stupid idiot too. I just bought my pair recently, I thought they were genetic mods like the glo-fish. It wasn't until I got home, and got them set up that I learned that they're dyed.
    I had a tough time with ACFs before, and decided to give it one last shot. Their current accommodations aren't much at the moment, my fiance is medicating a fish in my 10 gallon. As soon as he's done, we'll be moving the boys until they get bigger, then it'll be to a 20L.

My boys are pink and green, so they've been named Pinky and Brainz (respectively)

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I know this thread is a while old, but I've seen dyed frogs in an LFS near me and the owner said its because they are bred in coloured water. Is that not true?

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?gd0ax4

Nationality
    [United States]

Maddymoo

That response by your lfs store really made my laugh. Think about it... if you were it put a white fish (gold angelfish, white black shirt, etc) into a tank of water with food coloring.... would the fish change colour? no, it might tint but after a couple of minute in clear, fresh water, it would go back to it natural color.

You look the way you do because of your mom and dad, their genetics combined to make you. Bred in colored water would not make you green. This the same and true for these frogs. I will agree that colors of certain types of creatures (certain frogs, fish and birds) can be enhanced by the food it eats. But not matter how many carrots you feed a turtle, it is not going to become orange.

To think of it another way.... The egg sack in which the embryo develops kepts the embryo in which protecting it from the outside environment. I don't know how they dye them..... but "bred in coloured water" simply does not make sense to me.

These are dyed, and the dye will fade over time, regardless you will end up with a deilghtfull pet. I personally object the any of that, because too many people were buying dyed fish then when the dyed (or tatoos) fade, they no longer want the fish.

I do believe that the dying process is different from the tatoo-ing process... unfortunately, I have seen both procedures done on fish that are commerically available. The easiest way to know... if it is a color that does not appear in nature, or is a naturally occuring morph... it is then "man-made". What did the creature have to endure to be what "man" wanted it to be.

I thought that in England the fish community was strong enough to stop most retailers from selling dyed fish getting signatures on a "contract" from lfs (with few exceptions) that they would not sell dyed fish and these are promoted. I read Practical Fish mag that is published in England and they really rally against that type of manipulation of species.
    Last edited by rivkah; April 8th, 2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: mis spelling

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Oh it isn't a major chain or anything, just a little shop and it is the only place I have seen coloured frogs. I came across them a couple of years ago, had never seen them before and believed the owner when he told me how they are coloured :-/ he will never get another £ of my money

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?nal1qz

Nationality
    [United States]

If you frequent this store and are otherwise satisfied with it, I would educate the shop owner about the process, about how un-natural it is and that some will only buy this frog because of the color, what will happen to the frog, or his reputation, when the color fades? And are the few extra sales worth that?

I have found that if I have a good relationship with a store owner and calmly, very calmly (and sometimes with a little humor), explain my concerns for the creature and for the store (more importantly), the owner generally will do what I want, which could be as simple as posting a notice such as "that these frogs are un-naturally colored" , also explaining just how delight ACF can be, in this case.

I recommend that instead of just walking away from a store you have had a good history with, try to educate so that every creature purchased would be wanted by the buyer for what it really is and for its natural life span. Its better for the creature and actually better for the store.

I have certain favorite stores, and the owers are so used to me being a brat (or is it a different "b word"?) that I get away with too much, including changing descriptions and getting major discounts.

As our mothers used to tell us "you catch more flies with honey than you can with vinager".

dodgedartfrog

Quote Originally Posted by rivkah View Post
    If you frequent this store and are otherwise satisfied with it, I would educate the shop owner about the process, about how un-natural it is and that some will only buy this frog because of the color, what will happen to the frog, or his reputation, when the color fades? And are the few extra sales worth that?

I have found that if I have a good relationship with a store owner and calmly, very calmly (and sometimes with a little humor), explain my concerns for the creature and for the store (more importantly), the owner generally will do what I want, which could be as simple as posting a notice such as "that these frogs are un-naturally colored" , also explaining just how delight ACF can be, in this case.

I recommend that instead of just walking away from a store you have had a good history with, try to educate so that every creature purchased would be wanted by the buyer for what it really is and for its natural life span. Its better for the creature and actually better for the store.

I have certain favorite stores, and the owers are so used to me being a brat (or is it a different "b word"?) that I get away with too much, including changing descriptions and getting major discounts.

As our mothers used to tell us "you catch more flies with honey than you can with vinager".

Two sides to this coin,..

I did some research into "animal dying" a while back.
    In Asia it's very dangerous to the animals, the application, the long term effects, the danger to the people who handle the animal afterwards etc.. b/c asian markets use dangerous (sometimes toxic dyes) as they're cheap and easy to use and last longer with more vibrant colors. The benefit$$ outweigh the lost animals in the process and there's not really a lot of animal sympathy in Asia in the first place.

In the US frogs and fish are unharmed in the process.
    In the US All the dyes are veggie based in most cases and for amphibians/fish/reptiles actually have nutrients mixed in so it's actually like a vitamin booster.
    Those dyed froggies aren't be harmed, and are actually handled better b/c they now have additional time and effort put into them and are more expensive to lose. But if your frogs are from the US they should be fine and the US has started cracking down on imported dyed fish/frogs b/c of the toxicity of the chemicals (it may be completely illegal as an import by now.

Any mammals (again in the US) (mice/rats/bunnies etc..) no harm,.. They're just "dipped" and while I'm sure it's not the greatest thing in the world, it's not any more traumatic than a bath and it's safe veggie dye so... 50/50

Baby ducks and chickens in the US and other places however are a completely different process,.. Many are often harmed (even though the dye is safe and all external) because they're difficult to color they have to be "mixed" in with the dye, and get physically hurt in the process. Essentially they put them in a big bowl 10 deep, pour in the dye and toss them like a salad,.. it's horrible. In the middle east they violently throw a few crates of chicks into a giant tub and ram their hands in and stir them up... if you put in 50 chicks and one or two are maimed/killed,.. that's fine, slowing down costs you more money than a few lost chicks.... totally makes me sick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information