Thread: Lighting needs?

Sue H

Default Lighting needs?

What about lighting? I have heard conflicting advice, I've heard both that pac man frogs don't need UVB and that they do. For heat I purchased a UTH and a ceramic heater ( it gets cold in upstate NY) and that should provide enough warmth but I haven't bought a light because I don't want to cause harm or discomfort to the frog (I haven't gotten my frog yet but I'm looking!) Any advice?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Lighting needs?

Quote Originally Posted by Sue H View Post
    What about lighting? I have heard conflicting advice, I've heard both that pac man frogs don't need UVB and that they do. For heat I purchased a UTH and a ceramic heater ( it gets cold in upstate NY) and that should provide enough warmth but I haven't bought a light because I don't want to cause harm or discomfort to the frog (I haven't gotten my frog yet but I'm looking!) Any advice?

Thanks
    Pacman frogs do not require UVB light. UVB radiation is used to help reptiles and amphibians produce vitamin D3 naturally. They can benefit from 4 to 6 hours of UVB light or Full Spectrum light it is not necissary and most if not all UVB lights are fluorescent bulbs which are almost always too bright and can damage the frogs eyes. When using a UTH be sure to put it on the side of the tank. These are burrowing frogs and can be burnt on the glass if they burrow over top of the UTH. Also they burroe to cool off and won't understand why they can't do so when over top the UTH. On the side is best.

When purchasing a light you need to buy a lamp with a dimmer switch first. This allows you to accurately control the amount of heat coming from the bulb and light output. These have to be used with incandescent bulbs. You can use basking light bulbs and infrared. I use Exo Terra's Sun Glow basking bulb with a tight beam. The tight concentrated beam allows more heat to be produced without having to dial the lamp's dimmer switch all the way up.(note that with your ceramic heat emitter you should be using a lamp with a dimmer switch too) your wattage should be no less than 25 watts and no more than 50 watts. Staying within these ranges will not harm the frog as any higher can be too hot and hurt your frogs eyes or burn its skin and dry it out. Zoo Med also makes a good basking light bulb that has a concentrated beam.

Infrared bulbs are for night time viewing and used as an extra heat source at night. The produce very little visible light and can be used for both day and night if the room your frog is in has good natural lighting. Pacman frogs are nocturnal and are only active at night. They need a 12 hour day night cycle and should only be offered food at night. There are other night time bulbs like Exo Terra's Night Glo which is a bulb that is supposed to mimic moon light. It is blue. Neither the infrared or Night Glo will affect your Pacman frog's night time activities. Theya are not very bright bulbs yet you can still view your frog.

Please note that lights burn off humidity so extra misting or a device like the Zoo Med Hygrotherm is needed to maintain humidity levels. You can also purchase a misting machine that you set the times for it to turn on and off during the day. Also how long it will mist before turning off. Also covering 2/3s or 3/4s of the screen top with seran wrap(plastic wrap) will help hold in heat and humidity if you do not desire to purchase the devices I've mentioned as they can be pricey, but are worth it.

Please note that if you purchase an Albino Pacman frog you will not be able to use basking lights like the day time basking bulbs I mentioned above. They will harm your frog due to extra sensativity to light. You will have to use an infrared or your ceramic heat emitter with Albinos. Also provide plant cover when using lights so they feel more secure and can hide from the light. Plastic or live are both fine, but since they burrow fake may be best so they don't dig up and kill the live plants.

Ceramic heat emitter should also be in the 25 to 50 watt range.

Any further questions feel free to ask. There is a lot of conflicting info out there as you said, but coming to this forum was your best bet for correct info.

Sue H

Thanks! The ceramic heater I got is 60 watt (the lowest they had). I guess I'll return it for maybe an infrared bulb. Do you also suggest a day bulb such as the exo terra sun glow or is it not necessary?

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks! The ceramic heater I got is 60 watt (the lowest they had). I guess I'll return it for maybe an infrared bulb. Do you also suggest a day bulb such as the exo terra sun glow or is it not necessary?
    I use the Exo Terra Sun Glo during the day and infrared at night. Your Ceramic Heat emitter may be fine as long as you use it with a lamp that has a dimmer switch. Those don't produce any light only heat so they don't burn off humidity like an infrared will. The Ambient air temp within the room they are kept in will also help keep the frog warm and help so that you won't have to dial the light up high. If you can find a ceramic heat emitter in a 50 watt I would get it. Check online to see if you can order one in 50 watt.

Remember that if you get an Albino Pacman you can't use the day time basking bulbs like the Exo Terra Sun Glo etc. Only infrared/ceramic heat emitter/and UTH.

Temps for Pacman frogs are 80 to 85F during the day and 75 to 79F at night. For babies and juviniles you'll want to top out at about 82F during the day and stay around 78F at night. Humidity needs to stay at 70 to 80%.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ceramic heaters should be matched to enclosure size and used with a dimmer. If in a 10 gallon tank; 60W with dimmer to maintain temp's under control should be OK. Have a 100W in a 20G high and all is good!

You do not need day bulbs in a normally lighted room. If enclosure is in a dark room, could use it for your viewing comfort when observing, but the frog can see fine without it. Good luck!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Sue H

Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks!
    You are welcome Sue!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information