Thread: Urlacher get better please ;(

BigBlue83

Default Urlacher get better please ;(

this morning i came out the bathroom and found urlacher lifeless on the floor wrapped in long cat hair. he escaped in the night. i dont know if the cat ****ed with him or if he got under the couch or something. i picked his little lifeless body up and he was DRY. so i put him in the sink and cleaned off all the ****. he started to breath a little harder/better. i put him in the carrier with some water and a cricket or two with some calcium and vitamin dust. the fall from top to cage is about 4 feet. i hope he survives and livens up.... every one keep your thoughts on urlacher.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Urlacher get better please ;(

Hi Bigblue83, Im so sorry and hope he will be ok. My thoughts are with you and urlacher.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm so sorry Trey. I really hope he makes it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

They are pretty tough little frogs so hoping yours recovers from its ordeal.

BigBlue83

i want to keep every one posted on Urlachers status: after i cleaned all the cat hair and lint off of urlacher i put him in the empty cricket carrier thing with a little water and a cricket or two dusted with Repashy. when i put him in you could see his chin moving from breathing but thats about all the movements he was making. He looked extremely skinny. hes eyes were a little foggy too. when i got home from work about nine hrs later, he had plumbed up and his eyes were clear. he was also more active. im still a little afraid to put him back in the tank with his companion. so i made the cricket container with half substrate and half water and hes chillen. so lets hope his lively hood keeps up.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Thats great, It certainly is sounding very promising. Im so pleased .

heyjude2200

Hi Bigblue, How is Urlacher doing today? Continuing to improve, I hope.

BigBlue83

urlacher is doing ok he seems a little bloated on the sides of his belly, he also hasnt eaten. so im keeping an eye on him. Ive never had to force feed a frog, im sure people have, any tips or know how when it comes to this? just incase it comes to that?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue83 View Post
    urlacher is doing ok he seems a little bloated on the sides of his belly, he also hasnt eaten. so im keeping an eye on him. Ive never had to force feed a frog, im sure people have, any tips or know how when it comes to this? just incase it comes to that?
    Force feeding is best done with 2 people. One to hold the frog still and the other to feed. In order to do so you need something like a credit card or shopper card to gently pry open the frogs mouth. Have the food item ready in the other hand. When you get his mouth open quickly and carefully place the food item in his mouth. It only has to get part of the way in and the frog should do the rest. Preferably a food item that he already prefers or something easy to digest like worms. I have never force fed a frog this small so you may have to use something like a guitar pick which is smaller than a card to open his mouth. Easiest place to start when opening their mouth is halfway between the inner jaw and the nose. Hope this helps.

Good luck and I hope it doesn't come down to force feeding. Its stressful on both you and your frog.

BigBlue83

it sounds stressfull lol as i was reading what you wrote i was not looking forward to doing this. lets hope he gets better. he was always a big eater. than i got his friend and he just stopped eating as much now after this fall. hes not eating anything. part of the issue i think is that in the past 6 to 9 months ive had him hes never ate outside of his dwellings. ive tryed a couple times, but he likes to eat in his own cage. right now hes segragated

BigBlue83

want to give everyone an update. last night at around 1am i decided to put Urlacher in the tank with his mate. (I dont know if the different genders, but there always hanging all over each other from the time they were put to gether. also no male barking or getting upset) anyways, he seemed happy. I tell you one thing hes not climbing the walls trying to escape. I think he seen the light and had a near death experience lol. well i dusted some crickets with repashy and he ATE ONE!!!. im excited. he is my favorite frog i have. i can tell the diferrence between the two because of his black markings on his back.
    Im excited too because i have a long twenty gallon im plotting on setting up.

heyjude2200

I'm so glad Ulracher is doing well. But don't let him lull you into thinking he won't try and make a break again. One of my FBT's Motley, was always trying to scale the side of the tank, but he would just go up a couple of inches. Then, several months ago he scaled the entire side of the tank (18"), I couldn't believe it--I posted a pic--but, when he got up there, he didn't know what to do--the lid was on, and after a few minutes he fell & landed on a hard plastic hide & just laid there for a minute. I thought he was hurt, but then he got up and started moving around. I watched him carefully for a while & by the next day he was his frisky self. But he completely stopped climbing the side of the tank after that, until last week, that is, when I had the lid off & he came flying out. The little rascal.

BigBlue83

Urlacher must be doing great came down stairs this morning and he was at the top of the cage climbing his way out. I guess some frogs will never learn, or he just a daredevil. not even a week since almost dying and hes back at it. i cant wait to get this twenty gallon set up for them.... speaking of which i wanna do a half water half land thing so im thinking bout putting a divider inbetween the water and land so it will actually hold water just on that side. gunna go to homedepot and get a pcs of plexiglass about 2 to 3 inch tall than put some rtv on the sides and on the bottom so it will hold the water to the seperate side. than like once a week im going to stick a transfer pump hose in there and suck all the water out, and refill with new spring water. that way i can stay away from filters. anyways would it matter what kind of gasket sealant i use as long as it dries 100%???

Nationality
    [United States]

silly little frog - glad to hear he is doing well again

if you don't want to deal with filters, just use a large shallow container. one that would be easy to remove, rinse and refill - that's what i plan on doing for my 20L anyway.

BigBlue83

thats what i currently do now. At first i had one bowl but when upgraded to a second frog i put two bowls, however im modifying the twenty because i want a large water spot. I dont trust filters, i had them as a kid and my frogs only lasted a couple yrs at best. i trust me changing the water and putting spring water

heyjude2200

I used a sheet of acrylic in my tank to separate the water--home depot had a stock piece that is 12' and I was able to score it with a box cutter and then break it to the right height. I put the cut side down so it wouldn't be too sharp. I used a silicon sealant that is rated safe for aquariums--it is clearly stated on the tube. It's worked out great.

BigBlue83

thats what im doing now but with plexi glass im glad it worked out great, cant wait to be done with mine.

Thread Information