Thread: sick white's tree frog?

zig3y

Default sick white's tree frog?

So I got home today and noticed my juvenile white's tree frog Monty was in a new place in his tank. He was kinda wedged between the thermometer and the glass. I didn't really take note of this because I had noticed him slipping down the glass the other day and thought he did this to prevent himself from slipping. He was also turned almost all dark brown, a color I have never seen him before (note I have only had him for about a month). He ate about four crickets which is around what he usually eats but I had to hand feed them to him and and he wouldn't go after one he dropped onto the ground. He was sleeping for about three hours past when he usually gets up and moves around and I ended up giving him a quick honey bath to give him a small energy boost and he seems to be moving around now. Could some one please let me know if I acted to soon to give him a honey bath and if there is any illness I should look for? Keep in mind I am a newbie and will gladly take any criticism. thanks for reading!

P.S I have noticed a lot of posts about white's tree frogs lately being sick, hope every ones frogs are doing alright!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: sick white's tree frog?

Many things can cause your frog to change sleep locations, sleep in later, and so on.
    Theres no need to immediately jump on a honey bath when something changes one day. If he hasn't moved for days you may want to become concerned but look for other things before hand. Are the other frogs larger? Has the weather changed and you frog was up later than usual? sometimes mine are up all day and vise being up at night, sometimes one will stay asleep while the others are trashing the tank.

I would just relax, watch his activity, and weight. They do slow down in the winter months and they also sometimes seem to go crazy when there are big changes in the weather too.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

zig3y

thanks for the reply, If he is sleeping a lot but still eating and getting up every once and a while to get in his water dish, is this alright? also i moved him to a new room about a week ago but he didn't react to that right away and I was wondering if that may be a factor

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

As long as he is eating and occasionally hitting the water dish he is fine.

mim

i have two whites and my one does the same sort of thing. i think i just have a chilled out frog. he will sometimes b awake wen the other frog is but other days hell still b fast asleep wen im off to bed (light cycle is 6am-6pm). i know hes got up in the night tho and moved around. he eats fine and other than bein lazy is actin as he should. i wouldnt worry to much, the change of room may have somethin to do with it? is there more light in the new room? if so maybe cover some sides to make it a bit darker and secluded for them. p.s mine also sits on the themometer, ill b lookin for ages for him and hes right in front of me lol!

Thread Information