Thread: Hello, a newbie here ;)

furbious

Default Hello, a newbie here ;)

Hey there!

I have two Green and Golden Bell frogs who I adore, I've had them for about four days. They're so cute and I love watching them. I just have a couple of questions.

The room they are in does not get a lot of light during the day, and the frogs are a darker shade now than they were a couple of days ago. I've read that this is because of lack of light, how can I fix this without moving the tank? Is there a light I can use to help?

Can anyone also recommend some plants to me to create a nice atmosphere in the tank? Pet shop assistants are not much help sometimes... or maybe just the ones I've talked to :P

Thanks in advance!

Mel

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

mommyof4froglovers

Default Re: Hello, a newbie here ;)

You can use a regular fish tank light to help with the lighting or a regular lamp in the room.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

welcome welcome! there is a TON of info on this site, just start browsing around, checking out threads, reading the care sheets - you'll find more than you thought you were looking for!! i am in love with this site, lol.

post pics of your little friends! everyone here loves to see the new guys!!

have fun and good luck!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum Mel.

You don't want direct sunlight so just add some day time lighting by using a hood type light or dome light above the tank.

One thing I want to note is that you need to have the correct temps and humidity with them. Are you using a thermometer and hydrometer? What are the daytime readings for both?

I can suggest some bulbs or lamps from that info. Also, post a pic of the setup which will help with suggesting a lamp fixture.

Don
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Jess

They live very happily in the wild here, so the temps are fine without heating lamps. But I think it is possible to get a lamp that mimics the Sunlight, though I'm not 100% certain we have them here. You will need to get some Flukers calcium with D3 to dust on their food though, if you haven't got any already. They need the D3 to help them absorb the calcium, and they need the calcium, obviously, for their bones . I got mine off Trade Me, and I dust my guys food twice a wk.
    As for Humidity, I just spray mine with spring water in a sprayer that I got from the $2 shop, twice a day. They also have a pond (also spring water) at the front of their terrarium to soak in if it gets too dry in there, but I rarely ever see them soaking in it. Do not use tap water with them, as the metals and chlorine are VERY bad for them.
    As for foliage, I actually went to the Warehouse and got some plastic fern (From the bins they have all the plastic flowers in), and other leafy, planty looking things. They're quite long, but you can curl up the stem to make it the height you like. I have pics of my Froggie home in my Albums if you want to check it out for ideas. Driftwood is always good too, and easy to get. My guys love driftwood . If you're wanting live plants, Ferns are great!
    Hope that helps , if you have any more questions feel free to ask/post them on here. Oh, and Welcome to the boards and congrats on your Frogs!

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Hey there Mel and welcome to the forum. Jess has covered everything nicely. Looking forward to pic . There also is a care article you can take a look at if you haven't already. Frog Forum - Green and Golden Bell Frogs (Litoria aurea)

8. This member thanks Ebony for this post:

Thread Information