Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pac Man Ate Poop

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pac Man Ate Poop

You should do as Niels stated above. You shouldn't give up. You must be responcible and care for him anyway you can. A lot of people claime that Pacmans are easy and a good starter frog, but you would not believe the number of people who come here having similar problems or worse. Pacmans as well as all other species of frog come with a huge responcibility. Far more than any dog or cat.we can help advise you on what to do ,but we can't make you fallow our instructions. If I were there I may be able to find a reason for his discomfort. Albinos can be hard to dianose skin discoloration if it is the same as one of the colors on the frog like pink and lite red.

At this point I'm going to tell you to give him a luke warm soak with Honey. 3 drops disolved in de-chlorinated water. The water needs to be up to his throat. He needs to soak for 10 minutes. You can do this in a bowl or container outside his enclosure. Sometimes this bath reduces stress.

His temps need to be no less than 80 during the day and no lower than 78 at night. This also will reduce stress because he will be warm. You need to maintain correct temps and humidity levels.

Lastly seek a herp vet because I believe that he needs to be seen to make sure that he has no infection of the skin or other problem. This is all I can do from here. Keep us posted.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Joe9252

well i just soaked him again he has been down in the basement where there is zero human contact this way people walking in and out wont stress him and still nothing he doesnt move he doesnt even burrow he just sit there and does nothing whatelse can i do at this point? I have no idea was cause this he just started this out of no where idk whats the cause

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Joe9252 View Post
    well i just soaked him again he has been down in the basement where there is zero human contact this way people walking in and out wont stress him and still nothing he doesnt move he doesnt even burrow he just sit there and does nothing whatelse can i do at this point? I have no idea was cause this he just started this out of no where idk whats the cause
    You may have to force feed him. I'm sorry, but if you don't he will starve to death. Then I want you to find a vet in your area that treats amphibians and give them a call. Set up an appointment. Haveing someone who is an expert on treating amphibians may be able to help you more than we can at this point. Also you should buy some Pedialyte that is unflavored and give him a soak in a 10 to 1 solution of the Pedialyte. For every 10 ounces of water add one ounce of Pedialyte. It should be warmed to room temp. Then soak him in it. This bath will give him electrolytes and vitamins. You can try this soak before contacting a vet first to see if he perks up. If you need instructions for force feeding we can provide that. Don't give up.

Keep me posted.

Joe9252

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    You may have to force feed him. I'm sorry, but if you don't he will starve to death. Then I want you to find a vet in your area that treats amphibians and give them a call. Set up an appointment. Haveing someone who is an expert on treating amphibians may be able to help you more than we can at this point. Also you should buy some Pedialyte that is unflavored and give him a soak in a 10 to 1 solution of the Pedialyte. For every 10 ounces of water add one ounce of Pedialyte. It should be warmed to room temp. Then soak him in it. This bath will give him electrolytes and vitamins. You can try this soak before contacting a vet first to see if he perks up. If you need instructions for force feeding we can provide that. Don't give up.

Keep me posted.
    i guess at this point ill try force feeding what is the best way to do this?

Nationality
    [United States]

It is best done with 2 people. One to place their hands behind the frog so it doesn't back away and the other to force feed. You'll want to do this in a low lying area. Lay some paper towels on the floor and mist them so they are damp. This will keep the frogs belly comfertable. Of course be sure before you handle your frog that you wash your hands thoroughly. Choose a food item that is easy to digest. Worms would be good. Dust the food item. You'll need a credit card or shopper card to use to open his mouth. The easiest place to gentley pry the mouth open is on the side between the rear of the jaw and the nose. Only insert the corner of the card (gentley) between upper and lower jaw. Slowly apply pressure until he opens his mouth. You will want the food item in the other hand ready to insert in partially into the frogs mouth. You have to be quick and it may take a couple tries. Once the food has the frogs jaws closed on it your frog should do the rest.

Be patient and I can't stress enough about gentleness. They are strong so you will have go apply some presser when opening his mouth. Easiest way to get the food in is to hold it close to your frogs mouth while opening it so you can quickly place it in.

Try it out and keep me posted. This is a stressful task for both you and the frog, but has saved more than ones life in doing so.

Joe9252

Well I spoke with the local pet shop that specializes in pacs they recommended me to bring the heat up in the tank so I went put an purchased a 45 watt bulb and I was not able to get the tank up to 80 degrees but I can't get it any hotter also I can't get the humidity higher than 73 no matter what I do the tank it's self is foggier than anything but I can't raise the humidity any suggestions or are those conditions fine? Also is the red light ok from what I read I here it fine and what they say about red lights and albinos is very overstated

Mikey

Well I spoke with the local pet shop that specializes in pacs they recommended me to bring the heat up in the tank so I went put an purchased a 45 watt bulb and I was not able to get the tank up to 80 degrees but I can't get it any hotter also I can't get the humidity higher than 73 no matter what I do the tank it's self is foggier than anything but I can't raise the humidity any suggestions or are those conditions fine? Also is the red light ok from what I read I here it fine and what they say about red lights and albinos is very overstated
    havent read much of the thread itself, but to answer your question, the best way to maintain proper / better temps would be to add an acrilic or plastic lid to the enclosure. I am assuming you are using a screen top that allows all of your humidity and heat to escape. You would be incredibly suprised to see the difference it makes to cover the top with something plastic.

Joe9252

Nope I do have a glass lid on top of the tank that's the reason it's all fogged up

Mikey

Nope I do have a glass lid on top of the tank that's the reason it's all fogged up
    what size is the tank? with the proper heat source, (heat emitter / heat tape / heat pad), and a covered glass top you should easily be able to maintain 80 in an area. If the glass on top is all fogged up you have more than enough humidity as well. You may want to think of a new location for your tank that is a bit warmer, room temp wise.

Joe9252

The room temp is 72 it's prob the warmest room in the house

Mikey

The room temp is 72 it's prob the warmest room in the house
    The room my frogs are in is kept at 65 degrees. I am able to maintain a 90 degree warm side and 82 degree ambient. If your room is 72 degrees (which is very warm for room temp, at least in the north east where im from) and you cannot achieve 80 degrees there is a problem lol

Oh it may also be important to note, I surround my enclosures with hard insulation from home depot, styrofoam works as well. it helps to keep my temps in. ALOT like, i can swing the temps 10 degrees with the insulation and thats just where my thermostats stop.

Joe9252

Hmm what are you using for your heat source and how big is ur tank cuz I have 2 heat pads plus at 45w light and I can't get past 80 could the temps be the reason my pac has been acting to odd?

Nationality
    [United States]

Hmm what are you using for your heat source and how big is ur tank cuz I have 2 heat pads plus at 45w light and I can't get past 80 could the temps be the reason my pac has been acting to odd?
    There must be something wrong with your gauges then. If the glass is fogged up then the humidity should be fine(like Mikey said) not only that, but with 2 heat pads(UTH) and a 45 watt bulb you should be reaching temps higher than 80. I only have one heat pas on the side of my tanks and have 50 watt basking light and have no insulation around my tanks and I can achieve temps much higher than 80 if I like. We keep our thermostat for the apartment at 75. You could try and place a space heater within the room your frog is in. Raise the ambient air temps in the room a bit.

What type of bulb are you using?

Joe9252

think i have realized the problem and im hoping there is a way to fix it.... It must be the water im using I dont know why i did this but i used reg tap water when changing the substrate the last 2 times i didnt realize it would be such an issue i norm used reg bottled poland spring and i ran out and just used tap water. My frog hasnt eaten in 2 weeks it wont take to anyfood and at this point i dont know what do to... is it a lost cause did i poison my pac what can i do i just changed out his tank but is it too late??? Please help idont wanna lose my pac what can i do to bring him back

Mikey

think i have realized the problem and im hoping there is a way to fix it.... It must be the water im using I dont know why i did this but i used reg tap water when changing the substrate the last 2 times i didnt realize it would be such an issue i norm used reg bottled poland spring and i ran out and just used tap water. My frog hasnt eaten in 2 weeks it wont take to anyfood and at this point i dont know what do to... is it a lost cause did i poison my pac what can i do i just changed out his tank but is it too late??? Please help idont wanna lose my pac what can i do to bring him back
    You did not poison your frog. I rarely de-chlorinate my water. its a bad habit, but unless your water is poisonous, and undrinkable, than your fine. That being said, I do not recommend not de-chlorinating your water, BUT I can ensure you that had nothing to do with your frog losing its appetite so rapidly.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    You did not poison your frog. I rarely de-chlorinate my water. its a bad habit, but unless your water is poisonous, and undrinkable, than your fine. That being said, I do not recommend not de-chlorinating your water, BUT I can ensure you that had nothing to do with your frog losing its appetite so rapidly.
    Mikey I must say that this is not true. All tap water is different and is treated in different ways with different chemicals and levels depending on where you live. Yes it is very possible that his frog could be toxing out due to this problem. Pacman frogs are easily stressed and extremely sensitive to their environment like all frogs if not more than others. Heavy metal levels as well as what type of chemicals they use in his area as well as the levels that the chemicals are added to the tap water can very well cause this problem since the majority of water absorbed by Pacman frogs is through the soil they live in. Also since it may have ate its own waste that too can tox out the frog adding to the issue. So it would have double the toxins in its system coming from the substrate and the waste that it ate. I would never say that using untreated water would not harm them occationally. You never know. Just because 1 or 2 times didn't harm the frog does not mean that constant exposure to the chemicals in the soil for days at a time would be the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information