Thread: Urgent help needed for Whites Tree Frog!

Watson

Default Urgent help needed for Whites Tree Frog!

A few days ago I posted a thread about my whites tree frog not eating well. But he has gotten a lot worse the past few days.

Last night, he tried to throw something up. I'm really not sure what it was, since he hasn't eaten in about a week. It was not liquid, and it never actually came up, but it was pretty nasty looking. I don't have any rocks in his tank, and he hasn't swallowed any of the substrate. So, I know he isn't impacted.

After I he had swallowed back down whatever it was he tried to throw up, I put him in a quarantine tank. Now he looks a little bloated and keeps swallowing. Also, he is blowing bubbles sometimes. I am at a loss here! I'm thinking maybe this is Chytird? His skin does looks a little weird, and he has been shedding a lot. Also, I was thinking maybe the bubbles are from an upper respiratory infection? I'm not sure.

Anyone know what this could be? What should I do? I am at a loss here. Should I go ahead and try the Chyrtird treatment? Or does this not sound like Chytrid?

Please help! Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Urgent help needed for Whites Tree Frog!

Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    A few days ago I posted a thread about my whites tree frog not eating well. But he has gotten a lot worse the past few days.

Last night, he tried to throw something up. I'm really not sure what it was, since he hasn't eaten in about a week. It was not liquid, and it never actually came up, but it was pretty nasty looking. I don't have any rocks in his tank, and he hasn't swallowed any of the substrate. So, I know he isn't impacted.

After I he had swallowed back down whatever it was he tried to throw up, I put him in a quarantine tank. Now he looks a little bloated and keeps swallowing. Also, he is blowing bubbles sometimes. I am at a loss here! I'm thinking maybe this is Chytird? His skin does looks a little weird, and he has been shedding a lot. Also, I was thinking maybe the bubbles are from an upper respiratory infection? I'm not sure.

Anyone know what this could be? What should I do? I am at a loss here. Should I go ahead and try the Chyrtird treatment? Or does this not sound like Chytrid?

Please help! Thank you!
    I am really sorry to hear about your White's. This does not sound like chytrid. He is very sick. You need to take him to a vet immediately. This is an emergency case. The bubbles sound like mucus build up. He needs a vet now. The skin discoloration is probably due to his illness. They look very poorly when ill. You say he appears bloated? Does it feel like a hard bloat or a soft bloat? He was probably trying to regurgitate his gut. Probably to try and rid himself of what was making him sick. I'm sorry I don't believe there is anything we can do but advise you to seek medical treatment for him. I really wish there was more I could do.

4. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I could not tell you if your frog has Chytrid but posting a pic showing the frogs color, and full body may help someone with this.
    Good luck and sorry to hear about your frog's illness.

6. This member thanks DonLisk for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Don is right. Pic would help a lot. Perhaps someone here has had trouble like this before and can atleast tell you the exact illness ailing your frog.

8. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Watson

All right, here are some photos. His skin color is actually looks pretty normal right now. But it was a different story a couple hours ago. He isn't swallowing quite as much; he only did it once while I was taking the photos. He might not look very bloated in these photos, but compared to how skinny he has gotten recently, he looks bloated. He is still shedding a lot. Could this possibly be red leg? I called a herp vet, and he is supposed to call me back me tomorrow (He wasn't in the office today.) I can't afford to have a real appointment though.
    Thank you for all the help and replies!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm so sorry! Vet would be a good idea. Hope he gets better.

11. This member thanks Bolisnide for this post:

RAAV

(a good vet is a must for it) very very best of luck hope the little guy pulls through

13. This member thanks RAAV for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

This doesn't look like Red Leg or Chytrid. My thoughts would be that your frog can not digest something and can not poop it out so was trying to throw up to remove it which is not a good thing. It is possible that it is a respiratory infection also but I have no treatment for that.

You best bet is for a vet visit tomorrow and take some fresh or recent droppings for a fecal exam.

15. This member thanks DonLisk for this post:

Watson

All right, I will see what the vet has to say tomorrow. Thank you all for your help! I will keep you posted on his condition.

17. This member thanks Watson for this post:

Watson

UPDATE: Unfortunately, the vet never called me back today. I tried calling them, but the secretary refused to let me talk to him and said i would just have to wait for him to call me back. He never did. So, I guess I will just have to wait until tomorrow.

My White's isn't really any better than he was yesterday. He still looks bloated and refuses to eat. Do you know of any of you know of any treatments for impaction? I don't know how he would be impacted, but that is the only thing I can think of that he would have. I know about soaking him in warm water, but is there anything else I can do? Also, do you think it would be worth trying to force feed later? Or would that just stress him too much?

Thank you all very much for your help! I appreciate it so much!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I don't think putting more into the frog (food) is whats need since he is bloated already. You can try letting him soak in a warm bath with a few drops of honey to try and get him to poop.

For the honey heat a bath of water to 80 degrees, melt a few drops of honey (there is no exact measurement for this, just a drop of honey per ounce of water) and let the water cool a little before bathing your frog.

20. This member thanks DonLisk for this post:

Watson

All right, I will try the bath. Thank you!

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Good luck Watson. I hope you get to see the vet tomorrow.

23. This member thanks Ebony for this post:

Watson

Update: I finally got to talk to the vet, but he really is not sure what was wrong. He gave me some vitamin solution to help stimulate his appetite, but I didn't need to use it because he ate a cricket all on his own! He is looking and acting a lot better. No more bubbles or continual swallowing. I'm am so happy! I'm not sure what was up with him before, but he seems to be on the road to recovery now! Let's hope he continues to get better. I'll keep you all updated. Thank you all so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Thats great news Watson

26. This member thanks Ebony for this post:

Thread Information