Thread: I heart Reptifogger.

nlopez

Thumbs up I heart Reptifogger.

Everyone, it took me a while to be able to afford it, but this past weekend I purchased a Reptifogger. I love it, and Nugget loves it, too. It makes it so much easier to stabilize humidity in his tank and he seems to like sitting in the fog when its on. I was hesitant because of the cost, but ultimately figured it was the best solution to keeping the humidity up, and its so far been awesome. Just thought I would recommend it to anyone who might be wavering on making a decision!

2. This member thanks nlopez for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

moghue

Default Re: I heart Reptifogger.

i couldnt agree more i got one for christmas and love it. i mostly use it on my red foot tortoises, i do use it for my frogs on ocassion.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Totally agree! I love mine! It's great because I don't have to worry about the humidity dropping while I'm at work. Anything to keep my froggies happy!

Mitchgrunge93

I'll have to look into this. I don't mind misting my vivarium but this would be nice. Is it good for a 29 gallon setup?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Besides helping with keeping humidity they also look cool fogging the tank :-)

Nationality
    [United States]

I got one as well, haven't started using it yet.
    But how does one get the hose into the terrarium? Do you cut a hole in the screen top? or do you just tape it on?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Bolisnide View Post
    But how does one get the hose into the terrarium? Do you cut a hole in the screen top? or do you just tape it on?
    I haven't cut a hole in the screen top yet. I have been kicking that idea around. For now I just let the tube balance on the top of the screen with the mouth of the tube facing straight down and flat on the screen. My frogs love them. They work wonderfully with the Zoo Meds Hygrotherm Temp/humidity control unit.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I haven't cut a hole in the screen top yet. I have been kicking that idea around. For now I just let the tube balance on the top of the screen with the mouth of the tube facing straight down and flat on the screen. My frogs love them. They work wonderfully with the Zoo Meds Hygrotherm Temp/humidity control unit.
    Oh, that makes sense... Didn't think of doing that. The hose seems kind of flimsy, so didn't think that would work. I'll give that a try before I start cutting! Thanks again Grif!

nlopez

Yea, I do what GrifTheGreat does and just have the tube facing down. Not sure how it would work for a 29 gallon tank, but it fogs up my 10 gallon pretty quickly, so I don't see it fogging a 29 gallon a problem. Maybe someone with a larger tank can weigh in?

GrifTheGreat, do you leave it on all day while at work (like on the minimum setting)? I had bought it thinking of this purpose, but have yet to do so wondering if it is safe- doesn't seem like it would over humidify, but just wondering!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by nlopez View Post
    Yea, I do what GrifTheGreat does and just have the tube facing down. Not sure how it would work for a 29 gallon tank, but it fogs up my 10 gallon pretty quickly, so I don't see it fogging a 29 gallon a problem. Maybe someone with a larger tank can weigh in?

GrifTheGreat, do you leave it on all day while at work (like on the minimum setting)? I had bought it thinking of this purpose, but have yet to do so wondering if it is safe- doesn't seem like it would over humidify, but just wondering!
    Mine are controled by a temp/humidity control unit called the Hygrotherm. Its made by Zoo Med. It turns my foggers on when the humidity drops in my tanks and turns them off when it reaches the % I set if for. I recomend anyone who wishes to use a fogger as a main source of humisity for their tanks. You can't leave the fogger on its lowest setting. Even at this low rate the fog will begin to condenceon the glass and whatever furnature you have for your frog and the water will run down into the substrate and cause water buildup. Plus you don't wan the humidity of your tank to reach 100% you only want a max of 80%. I wish it was that easy but it isn't. Research the Hygrotherm. They are a little pricey but are worth it.

nlopez

Mine are controled by a temp/humidity control unit called the Hygrotherm. Its made by Zoo Med. It turns my foggers on when the humidity drops in my tanks and turns them off when it reaches the % I set if for. I recomend anyone who wishes to use a fogger as a main source of humisity for their tanks. You can't leave the fogger on its lowest setting. Even at this low rate the fog will begin to condenceon the glass and whatever furnature you have for your frog and the water will run down into the substrate and cause water buildup. Plus you don't wan the humidity of your tank to reach 100% you only want a max of 80%. I wish it was that easy but it isn't. Research the Hygrotherm. They are a little pricey but are worth it.
    To be honest, this is the ONLY reason I haven't purchased the Hygrotherm yet- because of the cost. It's on my list though and I'm saving up! Baby steps haha

Nationality
    [United States]

I have to save up and by things one by one as well. Keep an eye out for online deals. I picked up one of my foggers on Cyber Monday for $40. The hygrotherm is a great investment!

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bolisnide View Post
    Just want to say that I had the hose on top of the screen for a few months (weighed down by something which I do not know the English name for). This actually made the "stainless screen mesh" very much stainy... So, just a word of caution to everyone out there, you might experience some rust after a while. Needless to say, I cut a hole in the screen after that.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJr View Post
    Just want to say that I had the hose on top of the screen for a few months (weighed down by something which I do not know the English name for). This actually made the "stainless screen mesh" very much stainy... So, just a word of caution to everyone out there, you might experience some rust after a while. Needless to say, I cut a hole in the screen after that.
    It only does that if you don't use distilled water in the fogger. If you don't use distilled water not only does it leave residue/minerals/ but also can rust the metal because of the salts in tap water and spring water. Also the directions for the fogger say to use distilled water. Mineral buildup on the condenser within the fogger will also ruin it and it will stop creating fog.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

It only does that if you don't use distilled water in the fogger. If you don't use distilled water not only does it leave residue/minerals/ but also can rust the metal because of the salts in tap water and spring water. Also the directions for the fogger say to use distilled water. Mineral buildup on the condenser within the fogger will also ruin it and it will stop creating fog.
    Yes, you are correct, this will not happen with distilled. However, in my own experience, you really don't need to use distilled water with the ReptiFogger. However, if using tap water, some maintenance will be required, like you said. The "condenser" is just a metal plate and can easily be cleaned.
    Just wanted to give people a heads up, but perhaps it's more directed towards Exo-terras screen mesh, which they claim to be stainless

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, you are correct, this will not happen with distilled. However, in my own experience, you really don't need to use distilled water with the ReptiFogger. However, if using tap water, some maintenance will be required, like you said. The "condenser" is just a metal plate and can easily be cleaned.
    Just wanted to give people a heads up, but perhaps it's more directed towards Exo-terras screen mesh, which they claim to be stainless
    There are several different alloys of stainless. Perhaps Exo-Terra's screen tops are a mild stainless so it isn't entirely rust resistant. I've seen stainless rust and tarnish. Just depends on how much lead the mix with the steel that makes it more rust resistant.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

There are several different alloys of stainless. Perhaps Exo-Terra's screen tops are a mild stainless so it isn't entirely rust resistant. I've seen stainless rust and tarnish. Just depends on how much lead the mix with the steel that makes it more rust resistant.
    You are probably right. But it's really bad from Exo-Terra's part. I mean, if you sell a terrarium, and advertise it as a "Tropical rain forest terrarium", and claims that's it's great to use with their own Monsoon (which shoots a lot more water than the ReptiFogger), shouldn't it at least be able to resist a little fog? I mean, rain forest are quite often quite humid...
    But now I'm getting quite far away from the topic...

Nationality
    [United States]

You are probably right. But it's really bad from Exo-Terra's part. I mean, if you sell a terrarium, and advertise it as a "Tropical rain forest terrarium", and claims that's it's great to use with their own Monsoon (which shoots a lot more water than the ReptiFogger), shouldn't it at least be able to resist a little fog? I mean, rain forest are quite often quite humid...
    But now I'm getting quite far away from the topic...
    Lol! that happens a lot on this forum.

Nationality
    [United States]

great info! thanks everyone.

Thread Information