Thread: New here, need help, possibly sick frogs

lrizzo

Unhappy New here, need help, possibly sick frogs

I have 2 firebellies, a green treefrog, brown tree frog, dumpy tree frog, an american toad, and a big eyed tree frog in a 40 gallon. My oldest frog, a kassina maculata(tiger legged running frog) died yesterday for no apparent reason.. I'm trying to find out why he died and if any of the other frogs are at risk. I feed them vitamin powdered crickets, and im wondering if he could have choked on a big one... otherwise the water was like six days old, and the coconut husk bedding is a couple of months old, maybe bacterial infection? Im not sure a firebelly died the same way a couple of months back...i just want to know of any suggestions or experiences...anything to help me and make sure these little guys are healthy... the dumpy is acting very shy and the tree frog and one firebelly have stayed dark in color for a little longer than usual, i think they should have shedded by now. idk. HELP PLEASE!

Kurt

Default Re: New here, need help, possibly sick frogs

Welcome aboard.

Most likely we are dealing with a poisoning situation. Different amphibian species should never be housed together, because they poison each other. Bufonids such as the American toad are toxic and so are fire-bellied toads and kassinas.
    Other problems I see with this enclosure are dumpys or White's get big enough to eat the other frogs. You have frogs from for different eco-zones, neoarctic, palearctic, Ethiopian, & Australasian. Maybe a fifth one as I have no idea what exactly a brown treefrog is. If its a Polypedates leucomystax, then you definitely have fifth zone represented. The problem with housing animals from around is they bring with them pathogens and parasites from those zones, a cross-infection is highly likely. Plus a lot of these frogs come from different kinds of habitat, so its impossible to satisfy all there needs.

That being said they need to be separated into species specific enclosure immediately.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yup yup what Kurt said with an emphasis on quickly. I would also recommend a trip to the vets after they are separated.

lrizzo

Thank you very much first of all...i try to learn all i can off the internet, but i havent learned enough obviously. I am getting 2 new tanks to seperate them into groups and wondered, how i should seperate them, im guessing by zones but i have more than 3 zones as Kurt has pointed out. And im not sure what the brown tree frog is either I got her at a very poorly kept reptile store with no title to her, and she was the only one. she has stripes sometimes and turns all colors of brown with a fairlypointy nose,big eyes, and jumps so fast you cant see her.
    Last edited by Kurt; October 30th, 2009 at 09:59 PM.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Pictures would help.
    cuban tree frog? CalPhotos

How big are the tanks?

Kurt

Eco-zones are large areas that span across continents and countries, not actual individual different habitat. A few examples, the Neotropical zone starts in southern Mexico and goes down into South America. It also includes the islands of the Caribbean. The Ethiopian zone is Sub-Sahara Africa, Madagascar, and the islands of the western Indian Ocean.
    You really don't want to house animals together simply because they come from the same eco-zone. Eco-zones are made of many different habitats. The zone in which we live in, the Neoarctic zone is includes deserts, grasslands, temerate rainforest, woodlands, tundra, swamps, and so on.
    You want to separate them by species. I counted six species, so you will need six enclosures.
    The brown treefrog you described sounds a lot like Polypedates leucomystax. http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...el-lifeform=ne

Thread Information