Thread: ack, peeling skin?! :(

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Unhappy ack, peeling skin?! :(

ok i am sure this is not a good thing, my littlest toad, who seems to be the sluggish as well, now has peeling skin, kinda like a sunburns peels away. please pleaes tell me there is a way to fix this and save him??? i'm worried for the other 2, although they seem to be doing alright......

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: ack, peeling skin?! :(

actually its more like shedding almost, but he does not look good movement wise, very wobbly and looks like he doesn't have good function/control of his legs :*(

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Pics and info about the frogs environment might help someone ID the problem. Tank temps, humidity, whats fed, when last ate, or pics of the enclosure might help too.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Nationality
    [United States]

Name:  IMG_0159.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  76.3 KBName:  IMG_0161.jpg
Views: 4979
Size:  65.4 KB
    hopefully this now shows pics....temps tend to stay around 67-76F, humidity cant get stable, goes from 50-80 sometimes?? hasn't been eating for at least a week, maybe two, was eating small crickets and an occasional mealworm.

i gentle wiped some of the substrate off him and the skin just kinda peeled away with it, no resistance or tugging, and now he seems like he just has fresh skin, doesn't look bad. still not good on the moving though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [United States]

Bad sheds can be caused by humidity level being too low or inconsistent. But if he is not eating and the others aren't showing similar symptoms then there is probably something else going on. You say he is not moving well? Are there any other symptoms? When was his last bowel movement? Do you use de-chlorinated water? Do you dust their food with calcium and multivitamins?

A 5-10 minute soak in lukewarm de-chlorinated water is very helpful for getting excess shed off of them.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Bad sheds can be caused by humidity level being too low or inconsistent. But if he is not eating and the others aren't showing similar symptoms then there is probably something else going on. You say he is not moving well? Are there any other symptoms? When was his last bowel movement? Do you use de-chlorinated water? Do you dust their food with calcium and multivitamins?

A 5-10 minute soak in lukewarm de-chlorinated water is very helpful for getting excess shed off of them.
    luckily the shedding/peeling skin is gone now, removed it by gently wiping substrate off him and it just kinda came off with it (very easy, absolutely no pulling or tugging on him or i would have left it alone) but yea, the humidity is all over the place, i watched for about 20mins and it went from 50-80% and back again, i'm getting a new lid on payday and will try to keep it moist in the meantime, it did seem dry this morning. i took short video of him trying to get back under the log, i'll post when i get home, its like he can't move his front legs?? the other (and biggest) red guy might be trying to hibernate, i haven't seem him come up in a few days (but i can see him pressed against the side of the glass in the bottom corner). Mister Grey is the most active, first to come get the food and enjoys soaking in the water, which is tap water that has been left out in a bottle (for misting as well) then i put a couple drops of the water conditioner i use for my fish in the bowl as well. i just started dusting the crickets in calcium after reading about it on here i have no idea when he pooped last, with 3 of them its hard to tell who left it behind!

Nationality
    [United States]

i think i will also try a honey bath, see if that helps spunk him up any.....

Squirp

I'd lightly boil a pot of rainwater and boil a chunk of гранит for 30 min.
    add root of Punica protopunica for last 10 min.
    add crickets larvae, simmer for 2 min, strain.
    serve water as toad hot spring, decorate accordingly.
    set cricket larvae on a dish with sliced морковь, set under a hot light overnight.
    in the morning take these flakes and put them in a mortar and pestle,
    grind into a paste, add a very light amount of water, and paste this onto the toads skin,
    paying special attention to the seam down his back, avoid the bufotoxin glands.
    at night boil a small pot of lilac leaves and strain into a spray bottle. hold 2 feet away from toad.
    brace toad and apply two significantly firm stream line squirts directly onto the parotoid glands.
    heat lamp partially through the night. serve a hot towel in the morning for optimal results.

Thread Information