Thread: Humidity and live plants.

PrinceTeddygraham

Default Humidity and live plants.

I have two baby whites tree frogs and I'm having trouble with the humidity. What kind of live plants coil I safely put in their tank? I mist atleast twice a day but the soil is soo dried out. Help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Humidity and live plants.

Post a pic of the enclosure so we can try to determine why your soil is drying out fast. Plants wont keep humidity in but will help maintain it. When adding plants you will also want a drainage layer of stone or Hydroballs or by using the eggcrate method. This are will collect excess water for evaporation or siphoning.

Between the drainage layer and substrate is a screen to prevent the soil from mixing into the drainage layer.

WTFs are heavy, aggressive eaters, and will trash many plants so Bromeliads, Snake Plant and Pothos are good choices.
    Plants need to completely cleaned of all fertilizers and fertilized soils proir to adding to the tank. Substrates such as Eco-Earth and Plantation Soil are good choices to plant into.
    Once planted, the soil can be covered with leaf liter to keep all the dirt off the frogs. I like using Sea Grape Leaf Liter for whites since it breaks down slowly and is large leaves.

PrinceTeddygraham

I cant figure out how to post a pic. I am using a red 50w bulb I have a 60w daylight as well but It keeps me up at night. Should I use a timer? I sprayed the tank this morning and the humidity was 60% when I left. I am just worried about it getting too dry. I feel like I can't win. Dry and hot or cold and wet haha.

PrinceTeddygraham

In other words I don't use the daylight bulb.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

How large is your enclosure? You can use plastic wrap (from kitchen) to cover areas of metal screen and reduce humidity loss. I've got a juvie C. cranwelli in a 12x12x12 Exo-Terra enclosure and cover 1/2 the screen top with plastic wrap. A 2 ball deep hydroball layer below and separated from substrate helps create a water table that keeps humidity up.

If your top has downward sockets; can also use a lightless ceramic heat emitter. Combined with a dimmer those work well and they won't bother your sleep at all. Good luck!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

hedera is dangerous for our frogs?

Quote Originally Posted by arci90 View Post
    hedera is dangerous for our frogs?
    Hi there! You should start a new topic when you have a question not related to the thread you are posting in, especially when it's a rather old one.

As far as I have been able to find out, hedera (Ivy's) are safe for anything that doesn't eat it. I've had various Boston, English and Common Ivy's in with my Hyla versicolor and Hyla cinerea for a few years with no problems.

Thread Information