Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sudden death of my white's treefrog

Dehumaneyez

Default Re: Sudden death of my white's treefrog

That really sucks ***, sorry to hear about poor Sloppy. as a person who works in the retail pet products (food, toys etc.) the first bit of advice I give to all my customers regarding buying new pets whatever the critter may be, is to not purchase from a pet shop and I'm not saying they are all bad that's for sure, but 9 out of 10 they don't really care about the animals they sell, so I always recommend that they do as much research as possible before hand, even when given advice you should triple check it and buy from a registered breeder with a good history and knowledge of their product as well as a genuine interest and love for these animals... once again I'm sorry for your loss

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Sudden death of my white's treefrog

Unfortunately yes, teflon, tfal, and other types of coated and high-tech pans and even ovens now that are made with this material, are toxic to not only birds but also amphibians and fish.
    There is a lady who lost all her birds, fish,and amphibians in one day, because she used a teflon cookware set. : ( around 30 animals in her household, almost all her fish, amphibians, and birds died that morning when she cooked with the teflon pans. Several different types of amphibians including several different types of frog were lost.

Humans can also be harmed by it, it can send a newborn to the hospital, and in children teens adults and seniors the effects take longer to show but include hormonal issues and cancers.

I got rid of all the teflon, tfal, nonstick, etc. cookware in my house. And my wedding pan set was tfal. I don't want anyone , human or animal, getting sick because of what I choose to use. I put it in the recycling bin to be recycled with the scrap metal, because I don't want someone else picking it up at goodwill and using it and accidently killing their animals or hurting their own or their family's health because of it.

Make sure your oven isn't lined with it, some of the newer ovens are, or the drip pans under your stove burners. Not sure about the smooth top stoves, what material that is and if it is safe or not.

So what kinds of cookware are healthy and safe for humans and pets?
    Stainless steel is fine as long as no one has a nickel allergy, pyrex and ceramic are fine, some people like to test older pieces for lead, the test kits for those are reasonably priced and easy to use. Cast iron is a tried and true safe cooking material. For anyone who tends to be anemic in your household (usually women in their fertile years), cast iron used to cook acidic foods like tomato sauce is a great source of natural iron. Men tend not to need as much iron as women, which is why men's multi vitamins are iron free. That's pretty much the list of the only materials safe to cook with for people and pets - stainless steel, ceramic, pyrex, and cast iron. Aluminum and silicone are also no-no's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolisnide View Post
    Hi guys,
    So I've cleaned the viv, changed the water, I think we're good. Froggy seems active this evening and still healthy, so hopefully he didn't get too stressed with all the changes and having to stay in the small critter keeper all day...

Just a passing thought that I wanted to run by you all:
    I cooked with a teflon pan yesterday morning and accidentally left the pan on while I did something else; it may have gotten too hot.
    Does teflon kill frogs like it does birds? Maybe that's the culprit?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information