Thread: Feeding Pacman Small Mice Worries~

Owen

Default Feeding Pacman Small Mice Worries~

Hello, i am new to this forum.been keeping a Dark Green Fantasy Pacman for a while now around 5 months i guess around 4.2 inch atm.a Male
    i been feeding crickets all these while.i was planning to try to feed it a Mice for the first time.the mice i just buy is like 1/4 my pacman size.didnt feed it right away as i just feed it a bunch of crickets hours earlier...
    but this mice just love to bite.the plastic water container i put inside for it..got bite like hell.also i seen many youtube video where the mice got bite from the behind by pacman and the mice bite the frog back on its face.also even if my frog bite it by the head...wont the mice bite the inside of my pacman?since the mice dont die right way?even if i will only feed mice once a month.i am still afraid that it might bite my frog.
    but i don wan thaw mice.i wan it to learn how to hunt.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Feeding Pacman Small Mice Worries~

Welcome to Frog Forum Owen! Any predator can be bitten and clawed by a defensive prey or even hurt by acquiring pathogens like parasites. It's a risk you take when feeding live foods, so either do or don't... your choice.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

You should buy the babies while they're still nursing their mother. Pinky mice don't bite back because they have no teeth at a newborn age. If you're going to feed live mice you need to go that route so you don't risk your Pacman becoming injured.

Nationality
    [United States]

Pacman frogs don't generally "hunt" anyway. If hungry enough they will take a few hops to get closer when they are young, but generally they sit in one place and just wait for the food to come to them, especially when they are adults.

Your safest bet would be to use pinky mice, or a frozen/thawed mouse. I feed frozen thawed because they are a larger meal, no (or very little) risk of parasites, and no biting, plus they are very convenient since you dot have to care for them if you are waiting to feed them off.

Best of luck!

Owen

yeah pinky mice.but there are a few reason why i dont feed pinky mice.for starters,pinky mice is not always available,need wait for certain period only the shop i go to sells it.also i enjoy seeing them hunt them.XD

How About Fuzzy Mice?those that eyes arent open yet but can walk around already?

ps:also another question.when i get my green fantasy pacman it was bright green colour.now it turn like Dirty Dark Green Colour.i am guessing its because it just follow the colour of the terrain.which i use coco fiber.so i am asking here if is there any maybe brighter terrain i can put aside from Coco fiber? or Coco Fiber is the best choice among the lot?

also sometimes when i feed my pacman Cricket in his tank..he sometimes miss his target and end up licking a bunch of coco fiber.i see his tougue covered with coco fiber which he later try to remove it with his hands.if he do swallow some of the coco fiber.will it be fatal in the long run??
    i do sometimes take it out from the tank for feeding,but from what i notice,everyday i take him out.he refuse to eat and keep jumping around and tries to escape.stress of new environment i guess just why i prefer to feed it in his tank,since he just attack his food.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    yeah pinky mice.but there are a few reason why i dont feed pinky mice.for starters,pinky mice is not always available,need wait for certain period only the shop i go to sells it.also i enjoy seeing them hunt them.XD

How About Fuzzy Mice?those that eyes arent open yet but can walk around already?

ps:also another question.when i get my green fantasy pacman it was bright green colour.now it turn like Dirty Dark Green Colour.i am guessing its because it just follow the colour of the terrain.which i use coco fiber.so i am asking here if is there any maybe brighter terrain i can put aside from Coco fiber? or Coco Fiber is the best choice among the lot?

also sometimes when i feed my pacman Cricket in his tank..he sometimes miss his target and end up licking a bunch of coco fiber.i see his tougue covered with coco fiber which he later try to remove it with his hands.if he do swallow some of the coco fiber.will it be fatal in the long run??
    i do sometimes take it out from the tank for feeding,but from what i notice,everyday i take him out.he refuse to eat and keep jumping around and tries to escape.stress of new environment i guess just why i prefer to feed it in his tank,since he just attack his food.
    You can use the fuzzies as long as their eyes are closed. Mice are difficult to digest for amphibians and adding hair to that makes it that much slower. Sometimes mice make them a little constipated so you have to watch out for that as well. He will change color as he grows and change only a couple shades to several different shades so don't worry about that.

Coco fiber is what you want to keep him on. If he ingests it while trying to feed it won't really do any harm unless its a chunk that isn't loosened. It is easy for them to pass. When feeding him crickets break the jumping legs off of them so they are easier for him to catch and this way he won't ingest very much substrate. You can also tong feed him or use forcepts. This way he doesn't ingest any at all.

He won't feed when you put him in a seperate container because he feels stressed and doesn't feel comfertable out of his home so I would just feed him in his home.

Owen

ok thx a lot XD

Nationality
    [United States]

You're welcome.

Owen

hello once again.4 days ago..i feed my fantasy his first small mice....today.....i just saw his poop....its like 3 times the size of his normal poop and double the Bad smell...its light brown and looks like melted jelly beans....its stinks so bad...i immediately dig out that portion and throw it away....is this normal???...this the first time i seen such big and Smelly poop....

Nationality
    [France]

Hello, i am new to this forum.been keeping a Dark Green Fantasy Pacman for a while now around 5 months i guess around 4.2 inch atm.a Male
    i been feeding crickets all these while.i was planning to try to feed it a Mice for the first time.the mice i just buy is like 1/4 my pacman size.didnt feed it right away as i just feed it a bunch of crickets hours earlier...
    but this mice just love to bite.the plastic water container i put inside for it..got bite like hell.also i seen many youtube video where the mice got bite from the behind by pacman and the mice bite the frog back on its face.also even if my frog bite it by the head...wont the mice bite the inside of my pacman?since the mice dont die right way?even if i will only feed mice once a month.i am still afraid that it might bite my frog.
    but i don wan thaw mice.i wan it to learn how to hunt.
    Give dead mices with teezer and you will not have this problem.
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys ornata CB
    0.1.0 Pleurodeles waltl CB
    1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus CB

Nationality
    [United States]

hello once again.4 days ago..i feed my fantasy his first small mice....today.....i just saw his poop....its like 3 times the size of his normal poop and double the Bad smell...its light brown and looks like melted jelly beans....its stinks so bad...i immediately dig out that portion and throw it away....is this normal???...this the first time i seen such big and Smelly poop....
    Was it runny or solid?

Owen

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Was it runny or solid?
    Emm it was like a soft pudding..but solid enough for me to use a tong to take it out..drop it from a 3 feet height it goes splat.!!

Nationality
    [United States]

[QUOTE=Owen;94430]Emm it was like a soft pudding..but solid enough for me to use a tong to take it out..drop it from a 3 feet height it goes splat.!![/QUOTE

That doesn't really help. Was it like a log or jelly bean? Or was it a thick puddle?

Owen

emm...u could say it was a very thick puddle

Owen

hmm also....is something wrong with my fantasy??i just clean up his while tank..change the coco fiber and all that....then i put him b in his tank inside the water bowl....normally after 10-20 min or so...he will be burrowed by then...but today...he is still ni the water bowl.....for nearly.....6 hours??!! i was like?...whats wrong with u..

Nationality
    [United States]

hmm also....is something wrong with my fantasy??i just clean up his while tank..change the coco fiber and all that....then i put him b in his tank inside the water bowl....normally after 10-20 min or so...he will be burrowed by then...but today...he is still ni the water bowl.....for nearly.....6 hours??!! i was like?...whats wrong with u..
    What level is his humidity at? It needs to be 70 to 80% at all times. Temps need to be 80 to 85 during the day and 75 to 79 at night. His substrate must be moist or heavily damp not muddy. It sounds like he may be stressed. Is there a lot of noise where he is housed? Do you turn on house lights at night in the room where your frog is kept? What are you feeding him and how often? Is his water de-chlorinated?

Owen

humidit is fine...substrate is rather dry..since i just change the coco fiber.but i did mist it quite a bit...
    hmm..then again Noise?..maybe ..cause its rather noisy these few days..bunch of relative came over to stay..celebrate birthday..play guitar hero/singing whole night....noise make it stress?..

Nationality
    [United States]

humidit is fine...substrate is rather dry..since i just change the coco fiber.but i did mist it quite a bit...
    hmm..then again Noise?..maybe ..cause its rather noisy these few days..bunch of relative came over to stay..celebrate birthday..play guitar hero/singing whole night....noise make it stress?..
    Yes they are private creatures and don't like loud noise. Especially during they day when they're supposed to be sleeping.

Thread Information