Thread: Feeding them pinkies?

Killer Kyle 41

Default Feeding them pinkies?

How old or how big does a pacman frog have to be for it to eat pinkies? i read on reptile channel.com and it said 3 to 4 weeks of age they should start eating pinkies. that seems a little young to me but im still new to pacmans so i was hoping for some help with this

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Feeding them pinkies?

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Kyle 41 View Post
    How old or how big does a pacman frog have to be for it to eat pinkies? i read on reptile channel.com and it said 3 to 4 weeks of age they should start eating pinkies. that seems a little young to me but im still new to pacmans so i was hoping for some help with this
    You should go by size not age. I wouldn't start feeding pinkies until they reach 3 inches svl. Also only feed them pinkies once a month so they don't. Become overweight and develope other health issues.

Killer Kyle 41

ok thanks. im not going to feed it pinkies until he is big enough and im not going to be like some of those people on youtube whole video tape their frogs eatibg oversized mice, if im not mistaken u can keep feeding an adult pacman insects right?

Nationality
    [United States]

ok thanks. im not going to feed it pinkies until he is big enough and im not going to be like some of those people on youtube whole video tape their frogs eatibg oversized mice, if im not mistaken u can keep feeding an adult pacman insects right?
    Yes most definetly. Their main food source should be a staple of insects/night crawlers/earth worms. As an alternative to crickets you can use nightcrawlers/earth worms or dubia cockroaches as your Pacs staple.

Killer Kyle 41

with the night crawlers how big should my frog be before i try giving those to her? i gave her meal wroms before and she ate 3 in one sitting but after the next couple feeding she refuses to eat them but will eat the crickets. do pacman frogs need to rotate different types of food before they get bored or refuse it?

Nationality
    [United States]

with the night crawlers how big should my frog be before i try giving those to her? i gave her meal wroms before and she ate 3 in one sitting but after the next couple feeding she refuses to eat them but will eat the crickets. do pacman frogs need to rotate different types of food before they get bored or refuse it?
    Meal worms should only be given as a treat and very sparingly because the chitin that their exoskeleton is made from is hard for them to digest and can cause impaction. You can start giving night crawlers to him/her now. What you do since they will obviously be to large for your frog is cut off approprietly sized pieces of night crawler starting from the tail. A little longer than the distance between your frogs eyes maybe 3/4 of an inch. The rest of the worm in the container will stay alive and regrow its tail back over time but ofcourse they won't last long enough to fully regrow that back. Close though since your frog is young.

8. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Poly

Just like Griff said, feed small pieces of nightcrawlers, that's what I do with my baby. My "baby" is almost 2.5" STV now, so I'll be feeding him a small pinky soon. One thing you'lll notice with the nightcrawlers is that they won't eat for 2-3 days after because I believe the nightcrawlers are very filling for them. I normally feed mine 1 5" nightcrawler at a sitting, cut into smaller peices of course.

10. This member thanks Poly for this post:

Killer Kyle 41

Thanks for the advice! oh and Poly what does STV mean? lol

Poly

Thanks for the advice! oh and Poly what does STV mean? lol
    No problem! Haha, oops! STV means "Snout To Vent" lenght.

Killer Kyle 41

o ok thanks lol i should have known that. my pacman is a little bit bigger than a quarter now lol

frognerd101

I strongly recommend that you feed them food according to size. Your pacman may attempt to eat a pinkie, but he may become overweight.

My albino pacman frog had ingested something he could not swallow and developed a condition where his intestines were pushed out of its cloaca. It is easily treated with soaking the frog in sugar water and other baths. Your frog may be at risk to develop this condition is you attempt to feed it pinkies. Try crickets, mealworms on occasions, dubia roaches. They will also go after guppies, but this should only be given to frogs on occasions.

Good luck and I hope to see pictures of your pacman soon.

Killer Kyle 41

i have pics in an alblum on my profile, and i havent attempted yet im going to wait till she is alot bigger so i know it wont be too big

jjchance

I was always told to only feed them mice the size of the space between their eyes.

Nationality
    [United States]

i have pics in an alblum on my profile, and i havent attempted yet im going to wait till she is alot bigger so i know it wont be too big
    That would be best. Normally when feeding large food items you don't want to go any larger than 1/4 to 1/3 your frogs size to be safe. When they are young you do not want to put them through such feedings so they don't develope distended intestines like frognerd101 said, unlike what he said it is not always that easy to treat. A lot of frogs die due to this condition.

Killer Kyle 41

thanks for all the info! i will keep it in mind!

Nationality
    [United States]

thanks for all the info! i will keep it in mind!
    No problem. You're welcome.

Thread Information