Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conflicted!

Exclamation Conflicted!

I need some advice and I am not sure what way I should go. I have a 15 year old whites tree frog. In November he pretty much stopped eating. I took him to the Vet after almost a week and a half of him refusing crickets ( I usually hand feed him). She ran a a few test and pretty much said he is in the clear for any major problems but suggested I change his cage setting to how pretty much all of you have yours. When Hetfield was a baby, he kept getting bacterial infections and I just decided to take out all the moss and stuff after he kept getting better. I finally just had white sketch pad paper on the bottom, a large enough bowl for soaking and a cave thing to hide in and a 2.0 uvb bulb and thats it. He has stayed like that for 15 years. I am still having a little bit of issues getting him to totally eat like before but he finally accepted a few crickets here and there. He is still active and jumping, soaking in his bowl. So now that I wrote that novel, my question is should I go with the vet says and change his cage to the moss, tree branch, set up or stick with what he was always had. I only did half the cage to see how he would react to it. He doesn't go in the moss or sit on this branch thing I got him unless i place him on it. He will just sit there, but yet he seems content. He is usally a brownish color and the other day he turned almost bright green. He hasn't done that in years..The vet said he should be totally fine with the change but should I change something that has seemed to work this long?!?

Thank you for any help!!!!

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

En333

I don't have any supporting facts to this statement it's just probably what I would do (newbie) lol

If you have any other tanks, you could try to make one same and other mossy and branchy..... Put him in one habitat for a week or two, then the other.... Then just observe his color, eating habits, energy levels, stuff like that. Let him decide which one he wants....

I did notice he was dark in your pics but looked happy and healthy as any other frog I've seen! I think he'll be just fine

That would be my opinion haha

Default Re: Conflicted!

Hahah thank you Ian, I am not sure I even have the money to give him a total new set up with another tank! I just spent almost 800.00 on his vet bills! Its crazy how much tanks and rainforest kit stuff runs for! I will come up with something I guess.

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

En333

Haha or u could make little mini tanks haha

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi! Was wondering if maybe the years are starting to catch-up with Hetfield and he is just feeling a bit old & cranky. Your Vet might think something similar and that's reason recommended the change of scenery. It would be like taking a vacation trip for a human being... time to chill and release stress.

That's a lot of money into a Vet. I'm saving money now to buy an amphibian veterinary textbook and arm myself with lot's of frog medical care knowledge.

Sometimes local pet Shops have sales or used decorations at greatly reduced prices and that's when I grab more expensive decor items. Suitable aquarium decor is frog safe too as long as you avoid sharp corners or any holes or areas where frog could get stuck in. Also, if good with hands, the vivarium section has lots of ideas on how to build your own decor with silicone, water proof expanding foam, and other items. Good luck!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

I wouldn't switch back and forth between surroundings. This would cause unneccissary stress. If you're going to change Hetfield's setup change it and leave it be. Do keep an eye on his mood and habits. Instead of moss maybe use coco fiber substrate. Reduce the risk of impaction if Hetfield accidentally eats some substrate. I read that you hand feed. I'm just stating this incase one gets away and Hetfield decides to chase it. Try keep stress levels as as low as possible. 15 years is pretty old and Hetfield looks healthy in your photos. I hope all works out.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

If your looking to just try something simple,, add a Broneliad to the tank. You can leave it in its pot even as long as you wash off all the soil and rinse the plant well. Then just use coco fiber for the pot or clamp the plant into place along a side of the tank.

This will give a great place to perch and sleep and not cost a lot of money.

Don
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Forgot to mention, bromeliads are self supporting and need no soil to survive. Only water and lighting.

Thank you all for the advice! Great stuff!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by BlueisallIneed View Post
    Thank you all for the advice! Great stuff!
    How's your little man doing?

Thumbs up Re: Conflicted!

Well I am happy to say, even though a bit hesitant, he did eat a few crickets through the past two weeks, so happy about that. As for the cage, still trying to work with what I have till I get everything ordered that I need to get him situated thank you for askin!!!!!

Shanny

I just wanna say that I am very happy to see that you are doing everything you can for your frog. I encountered a young girl on here asking for help with one of her frogs, yet it seemed as though she just wanted to give up on him. Sad to say, he ended up dying and I'm guessing it was because she didn't take half the advise we gave her and she wouldn't even take her frog to a vet. Just made me mad. I just think if you want to take the responsibility of a pet then you should take full responsibility no matter what. So, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
    I just wanna say that I am very happy to see that you are doing everything you can for your frog. I encountered a young girl on here asking for help with one of her frogs, yet it seemed as though she just wanted to give up on him. Sad to say, he ended up dying and I'm guessing it was because she didn't take half the advise we gave her and she wouldn't even take her frog to a vet. Just made me mad. I just think if you want to take the responsibility of a pet then you should take full responsibility no matter what. So, thank you
    Aw well thank you very much for that! People don't understand when they say "Oh it's just a frog", my response "Oh it’s just your kid?" He is a very big part of me and my family I will do anything to keep him as comfortable and happy as I can! 15 years is a long time together! Some of my friends went nuts on the Vet bill, but I don't care its worth every penny. I am happy to be a part of you guys, all that love animals and treat them right!

Nationality
    [Canada]

I hear that "it's just a frog" way too much just because it doesn't fetch or roll over doesn't mean a person isn't suppose to care. My personal favorite is "a frog isn't a pet" that one just sends me for a loop. I love my frogs more than some friends and family at least they aren't judgemental like so many people.
    don't mess with my frogs

En333

Ya that's how ppl are to me. Lol my mom is like that when I buy a lot of stuff for Kirby. "you're going to spend tht much money on your frog?" or "well I'm not payin any of my money on those things" haha it's annoying but I don't care lol

I know! I get that too, someone told me he is almost at his peak "recorded" age and why would I spend all this money on him. I was like really?!?! So if your mother is at her "peaked age" then you will do nothing for her?! Drives me nuts how stupid people can be hahah! Glad you all understand me ahahhah

Nationality
    [United States]

Some people just don't get it. Just because our beloved friends don't have a fur coat, or can be trained to carry things or taken out to help in therapy or learn to talk, doesn't mean they don't deserve the highest quality of life that we can give them. So for stupid comments people make about our amphibifriends.......like water on ducks back, just let it roll off. Ok, I'm done with my little rant.

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    Some people just don't get it. Just because our beloved friends don't have a fur coat, or can be trained to carry things or taken out to help in therapy or learn to talk, doesn't mean they don't deserve the highest quality of life that we can give them. So for stupid comments people make about our amphibifriends.......like water on ducks back, just let it roll off. Ok, I'm done with my little rant.
    Hahah, couldn't of said it better myself. I really don't care what people think, only if my "kiddies" are happy and healthy. I have a cat that was born with a small bladder. I didn't know this when I adopted him (like it would have mattered) but one day he just dropped in pain, I rush him to the vet, almost 3000.00 later we found out what happened, changed his diet to Urinary care and has been golden since! Price doesn't come close to seeing him everyday in my bed driving his brother cat nuts!

Update:I changed Hetfields home completely. With a false bottom, mini waterfall and live plant! He is doing great, eating like himself and actually looking like he is happy about the change Its not like the best looking set up, but its clean, humid and comfy for him, so I am happy! Thanks for all the great advice!

Nationality
    [United States]

So glad to hear that! Hetfield is clearly in good hands!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information