Thread: Frog Identification Help

Kizza

Default Frog Identification Help

Hey,

Im wondering if anyone would be able to help I.D this frog, and roughly his age and condition of health etc.

I found him in a box of lettuce at work ( I work in a kitchen), and have a feeling thast he is a whites tree frog as they are commoin in my region ( Eastern New South Wales - Australia).

He has a slight tinge brown in the photos, but as i put him in a heated terraium he is slowly starting to go greener.

I know I shouldnt be using gravel as a substrate, but still waiting for my order to come in at the pet shop -

(he is at the base of the green plant)

Also any care advice on such a young frog would be great,

Thankyou.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frog Identification Help

I want to say that possibly after looking at the last pic that it may be a White Lipped Tree Frog. They are also a native in Australia. Just my guess!

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by helm96 View Post
    I want to say that possibly after looking at the last pic that it may be a White Lipped Tree Frog. They are also a native in Australia. Just my guess!
    That's what I was going to say . It closely resembles one.
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

mim

im no expert but i was gonna say it looks like a white lipped tree frog. i really wanted one of these but the only pet shop that had one had an adult and was charging a ridiculous amount, so lucky u lol

Kizza

Thanks guys!

Also any idea in his condition from the photos?

Starting to get worried about the little fellah, who knows how Long he was in that box for.

I don't think he has been eating much if at all... Tried offering crickets and flies to him on tweezers but he wont take.. And during the day he hinders behind the 'plant' on the lefthand side and at night he just hangs off the side of the wall... Is this normal behavior due to the new environment ? If so how long before his condition starts to deteriorate from not eating? Will post up a new photo tommorrow of him ..

Quote Originally Posted by Kizza View Post
    Thanks guys!

Starting to get worried about the little fellah, who knows how Long he was in that box for.

I don't think he has been eating much if at all... Tried offering crickets and flies to him on tweezers but he wont take.. And during the day he hinders behind the 'plant' on the lefthand side and at night he just hangs off the side of the wall... Is this normal behavior due to the new environment ? If so how long before his condition starts to deteriorate from not eating? Will post up a new photo tommorrow of him ..
    It probably won't ever eat from tweezers just put some bugs in the enclosure and the frog will eat them in it's own time. If it's not very active it will probably be stress and will still be getting used to the new home.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Whistly View Post
    It probably won't ever eat from tweezers just put some bugs in the enclosure and the frog will eat them in it's own time. If it's not very active it will probably be stress and will still be getting used to the new home.
    Agreed Whistly!

He is a wild frog therefore he is used to hunting for his food. My frogs are captive bred and I still cannot feed them with tweezers, hunting is a natural instinct for frogs! It is foreign to them and it would take time for them to get used to it. When they are stressed is not a good time to try to teach them that, it can stress them out more. Best bet to help him adjust is to make yourself as unseen as possible till he adapts to his new home. Change water and spot clean when he is sleeping.

Just a few things that may help him in the transition!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Kizza View Post
    Thanks guys!

Looking at the photos, I do not think he looks to skinny! Hard to tell really from the angles of the pictures however. I have noticed when I have bought my frogs that each frog is different with their adjustment period. I have brought some frogs home and they eat right away where as others have waited up to 4 days before they start to eat.

As far as him hiding, that is pretty common when introducing a frog into a new enclosure. They will hide until they feel secure, so I do not think there is a reason to worry there!

I am no seasoned veteran or anything on raising frogs these are just some things I have noticed in my travels. If I am off base with any of my comments anybody feel free to jump in and correct me!

hyla

Hes so tiny! Looks okay IMO (hard to tell from pics) but if he swallows one of those rocks hes a goner....they look pretty tho (: Hopefully you get your order soon!

Kizza

So i have had him covered for the last day and a half as a way to help him adjust, he has moved around a bit and i think he may of ate a cricket! Unless it died hiding and i have yet to find it...

Snuck another quick couple of photos earlier -

Hows he fairing? Sorry to ask - Im new to frogs and their care, and have been doing as much research into it as possible, but thats nothing compared to experience!

Out of all the forums ive been involved in over the years , this has by far the most friendly and knowledgeable community!

Merry Christmas frogforum!

When my frog Camo lost her tail she didn't eat for nearly a week and was way skinnier than your frog so I think atm you shouldn't worry too much about the fattness of your frog try putting in a couple of flies too see if it will eat them, my frogs go nuts over anything that flys especially hover flies although they are harder to catch because they are quicker.

Thread Information