Thread: Cleaning water setup

Peachy

Default Cleaning water setup

Does anybody have a water setup for their pixie(s)? If so, how do you go about cleaning your frogs poo out of the water? Also, when you clean it, do you tend to make a mess or is it simple and clean?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Cleaning water setup

I use a fish net to scoop out the big pieces right after the frogs go. If the poo sediment starts building up a little, I use my little handpump siphon to clean it up some more. I let the filters clean the rest.

dsmalex97

Not sure what you're using for filtration, but I suggest getting a decent canister filter if you're going to go with a water setup. I personally find water to be an excellent substrate, but it DOES require a little more funding in order to keep it safe. They foul the water out pretty fast, and cleaning out the enclosure all the time gets old FAST! I was using a whisper filter at first, and that thing was useless...I then tried a Zoomed 501, which was pretty crappy as well(might work for smaller animals). Then to a Zoomed 511 which also was ****(again depending on the size of the animal you might have different results). I eventually opted for a Fluval 205, and I gotta say its amazing! Water is crystal clear, and is very quiet. Pricey? Very much so. Luckily my G/f's brother works at petsmart, and I got it for 92 dollars out the door. But totally worth it if you don't want to deal with the hassle of changing water all the time, or cleaning your filter...When my girl poops I don't even know most of the time. There will be traces of it on the bottom of the tank, but it usually gets broken up and is gone before I know it was there. If you can save your money and get something decent for your frog, you won't regret it. Good luck with your setup.

Peachy

Ive got the good ol' reptifilter (the tall green one). It wasnt bad at first but now does a terrible clean up job in my tank. Looks like i will be switching to that fluval. Thanks

dsmalex97

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    Ive got the good ol' reptifilter (the tall green one). It wasnt bad at first but now does a terrible clean up job in my tank. Looks like i will be switching to that fluval. Thanks
    haha, yeah those aren't too good. How big is your frog j.w?

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Peachy! Although I've got a Rena 1 Canister in standby; my ABF is still to small to get me the water depth to use it (he likes to spread out with mouth at water level). Literally use the same method Jimifrog mentioned in post #2.

Getting a vacuum in a tank with low water level can be quite tricky but found great results by using the Top Fin "Small Gravel Vacuum" available at PetSmart (SKU ends in 277793). Just connect the long hose to nozzle (versus short one they recommend) and then to bulb and short hose, works like a charm every time. Follow that with a large cellulose sponge to grab remaining water and dirt. Since have no filter, I change all the water every time Stilgar poops; which currently is almost daily.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [France]

Hi,

is it possible to care an GABF in a water set up all his life ?
    Normally not, these frogs need to dig and to burrow during dry season.

I would like to know if some of you have kept Pyxie frogs in water set up for years.

Thank you in advance for answers.
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys ornata CB
    0.1.0 Pleurodeles waltl CB
    1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus CB

Peachy

@dsmalex97
    Havent measured my frog yet but ill definitely post up some newer pics soon. If I had to guess id say somewhere between 4-5 inches.

@Carlos
    Whats up bro. I have found that when my frog fouls his/her water, it is most dirty when crickets have been consumed prior to pooping. All I see are cricket heads and such, which are the greatest pain to clean, and arent small enough to pass through the filter. When I feed mice, there are no messes, just one large poo which makes me a lot happier.

Peachy

@ GRABibus
    Havent kept mine in a water set up for years but a lil over a month and it seems to be fine, and poops better/more often.

Nationality
    [United States]

This is something I don't understand. If during optimal conditions, the GABF likes to stay in the water, why not just provide the animal with optimal conditions? They dig into the dirt to survive, right? If you are not going to brumate them for breeding purposes, why wouldn't water be the best option?

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Jimifrog View Post
    This is something I don't understand. If during optimal conditions, the GABF likes to stay in the water, why not just provide the animal with optimal conditions? They dig into the dirt to survive, right? If you are not going to brumate them for breeding purposes, why wouldn't water be the best option?
    Where I live and considering the season right now, cocofiber and a water bowl topped with heat pads, lighting, etc do not provide optimal conditions because the cold weather makes it harder to keep the tank warm. A water set up with a filter and water heater, which keeps my water warm with an ambient tank temp of 82 degrees, seems to keep my frog happy. There are also some rocks to climb up on when my frog is tired of the water.

Anyway, I think its just a matter of preference, and everyone is entitled to their own.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

why not just do away with a filter and just siphon the water out once a day?

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

bump. is there anyone that doesn't have a filter in a 50/50 setup and just changes the water manually? is this a practical method? cheers

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I have a terrestrial set up that is a mixture of milled moss and soil over a slab of poly foam with a very large water "dish" for the frog to hang out in. Its easier for me to just remove the dish, sanitize it and replace the water. The poly foam under the soil helps keep the soil from getting too wet my soaking up spillage and excess wetness and thus keeps the substrate from spoiling faster. I prefer this setup due to ease of maintenance.
    My Budgetts frog lives in an aquatic setup with a foam insert landing area. I use the Repti Clean 501 canister filter, runs about 75 gallons an hour which is great. I still have to use a turkey baster to remove large turds, which is fine.

Even with a filter you are going to have to do very frequent water changes.

Thread Information