Thread: Can Pacific Tree Frog & California Toad live together?

busytiredmom4

Default Can Pacific Tree Frog & California Toad live together?

I have 1 frog & 3 toads. Male Pacific Tree Frog (raised since tadpole), possible female California toad (caught as juvenile in wild), and 2 fire belly toads (1 female and 1 possible male) from pet store. Right now, I have FBTs in own tank, while I have kept the tree frog and California toad in same tank. They've lived this way since they were both juveniles (both same age) and they don't bother each other. I've had many people on here say that's not good because the toad will attack my tree frog. I can never see her doing this because they were raised together and are well fed. They stay to themselves and neither one is agressive towards the other. One thing, however, is my male tree frog calls ALL the time and it seems like he does it when toadie tries to climb on his tree branch or invading his personal space. But my toad just likes to climb (he thinks he's a tree frog too!), he's not climbing after him to bother him.

I know these kind of toads aren't really social meaning they don't have to be grouped or paired like my fire bellied toads. I think toadie would get lonely and possibly stressed if I seperate these two because that's all he knows. I know he has the paratoid gland and there is a risk of the toxins, but I've heard that they only use it when being attacked or freaked out. Also, if I do need to seperate them, is there another type of toad that would be good for him to be paired with? What about my tree frog? He's very social and actually likes to be handled and carried around. I think he'd be more unhappy if seperated than the toad. What are some good pairings for a pacific tree frog? I've heard that any tree frog would be good. Any input would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Squirp

Default Re: Can Pacific Tree Frog & California Toad live together?

I'll offer you some points of view I've encountered.
    Mixing all these species is sometimes asking a bit too much.
    the fact that we keep amphibians as pets is upsetting to a lot of environmentalists.
    I admit some species can coexist, but you have to meet all the requirements.
    Basically as they say sometimes, just because you can doesn't mean you should.
    I'm trying to picture your setup, and I see the appeal, I'm just concerned about their stress levels.
    Well that, and I'm concerned you'll be confronted by people who have a more aggressive stance on the subject

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by busytiredmom4 View Post
    I have 1 frog & 3 toads. Male Pacific Tree Frog (raised since tadpole), possible female California toad (caught as juvenile in wild), and 2 fire belly toads (1 female and 1 possible male) from pet store. Right now, I have FBTs in own tank, while I have kept the tree frog and California toad in same tank. They've lived this way since they were both juveniles (both same age) and they don't bother each other. I've had many people on here say that's not good because the toad will attack my tree frog. I can never see her doing this because they were raised together and are well fed. They stay to themselves and neither one is agressive towards the other. One thing, however, is my male tree frog calls ALL the time and it seems like he does it when toadie tries to climb on his tree branch or invading his personal space. But my toad just likes to climb (he thinks he's a tree frog too!), he's not climbing after him to bother him.

I know these kind of toads aren't really social meaning they don't have to be grouped or paired like my fire bellied toads. I think toadie would get lonely and possibly stressed if I seperate these two because that's all he knows. I know he has the paratoid gland and there is a risk of the toxins, but I've heard that they only use it when being attacked or freaked out. Also, if I do need to seperate them, is there another type of toad that would be good for him to be paired with? What about my tree frog? He's very social and actually likes to be handled and carried around. I think he'd be more unhappy if seperated than the toad. What are some good pairings for a pacific tree frog? I've heard that any tree frog would be good. Any input would be appreciated.
    You still haven't seperated them!? You had said that you were going to do that almost 3 months ago?

You even said
    Quote Originally Posted by busytiredmom4
    I'll be separating them, but keeping their tanks next to each other so at least they can see each other.
    on October 21, 2011, it's now December 14, 2011, that's almost three months!

The tree frog will most likely be stressed by the large clumbsy toad sauntering about beneath him, not only that, but toads produce a toxin which can kill other amphibians, especially in such a small enclosure.

They're buddies and used to sleep together and soak together
    They are not "buddies" likely the toad was curious, or visa versa. If you have a tree frog that is sleeping on the ground with a toad, it's most likely sick. I can't see it soaking with a toad unless it was very dehydrated.

He'll somehow climb the terrarium wall to the top and stick to it like tree frogs do. then he'll climb on the vine that PCF sleeps in and imitate her. It's adorable and I hate to seperate
    The toad is not mimicing the tree frog, is is trying to escape. A toad will not sleep on a vine suspended in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by busttiredmom4
    but if it's in their best interest, gotta do it. They're like my children-love these little guys tremendously!
    It is in their best interests, so why have you not done so, almost three months later? Then post the exact same two threads in the same two different parts of the forum (which there is no reason to do, Martin (ViperJr) explained this to you in October)!?

Here's where I got the quotes from:http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...frog-toad.html

They need to be seperated, simple as that.

Amphibians are not people. They do not get separation anxiety first of all. Second of all-- all amphibians are toxic to some degree. While some have em more notably than others do... Does not mean they're not there.

Here's a little story I heard once...

Johny has a fishtank with 5tiger barbs and 2 mollies. Now johny saw that the tiger barbs were tough. One day he went to the petstore and saw a cute small pufferfish. Not knowing much about the fish he bought it and continued to put it with the other fish. Now he went online and people told him they're aggressive. He started to notice signs of aggression but dismissed it as "playing" around.

Next day Johny goes to the fishtank and what does he sees? One big fat pufferfish. Half a molly swimming in a circle. And no other fish but many scales and fins on the tank bottom.

Now here's another story:
    At my old job there was this guy who was in charge of a display aquarium that was to endorse the sale of the fish. It was a super expensive saltwater reef aquarium. Had all these rare and elusive corals. A few fish that could co-habitate with the corals, sponges and such. Now the guy decides one day to put in a royal blue queen sea apple. Now these things are known for few things: 1)Beauty beyond imagination. 2)Extremely pricey(200+ a pop). 3)Short lived. 4)After they die or get stressed they basically bomb the tank with their deadly toxins.

A few hours later he's rushing to us frantically about the saltwater tank. Everything was dead. Turns out the sea apple went to one of the water cycling pumps and got stuck in there. It got so stressed it released a chemical concoction that killed everything. Over 8thousand dollars down the drain worth of stuff. Because now they had to take everything apart and clean everything. All the corals were gone. This was a large 400gallon aquarium mind you full of rare frags, fish and etc.
    the guy got fired on the spot.

Anywho I'm not sure if you're paying attention to these guys. They have been telling you constantly not to do it. You do as you please. But why ask the same question for the same thing?

You should pay more attention to them. They just mentioned a few times you can't mix species... Not trying to be rude but I'm not sure you even made any sort of effort to read anything on keeping amphibians or anything....

It's pretty simple stuff... Hope I haven't offended anyone just thought I should bring it up.

Thread Information