Thread: Cold mornings in the water

gulfcoasttoad

Default Cold mornings in the water

I have three gulf coast toads in my classroom. Now that it has gotten colder here, they spend most days hiding under their logs, burrowed into the topsoil. My school building is not heated at night. On cold mornings, before the timer lights kick on, I usually find one or two soaking in the water dish. Once the tank heats up to around 75, they climb out and go back to the log.

Is this normal behavior?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

LazyEyedFroggie

Default Re: Cold mornings in the water

It's absolutely normal Toads will enter water readily, and quite often water can actually be a bit warmer than the soil itself. What temperature does it drop to at night?

gulfcoasttoad

Not precisely sure. I have placed thermometers throughout the cage and will check them in the morning and report my findings.

gulfcoasttoad

Ok, so at 0730 this morning, one toad was in the water, which measured 58°F, the air temp was 62°, and the temp under the log where two toads were was also 62°.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. My students are curious, as am I.

LazyEyedFroggie

They will likely be alright, although if you're concerned you could use an alternate heat source (heat pad, etc...) although, these can cause toads to burrow closer to the heat and burn themselves...

I don't know much about toads but if a heat pad could potentially burn them then you could try a heat lamp.

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by Whistly View Post
    I don't know much about toads but if a heat pad could potentially burn them then you could try a heat lamp.
    A heat pad will only burn them if placed in an area where they could burrow and sit against it, thus burning them.

62F is too cold for toads, you need to have an external heat source, a heat pad is your best bet. A heat lamp could damage their eyes, and dry them out.

You should purchase them a 10-20 watt heat pad, and stick (they are adhesive) it to the SIDE not the bottom of their enclosure, this will provide them with a heat source to keep them warm, it should boost their temperatures up to the high 60s to low 70s which are more suitiable temperatures for toads.

~Royce

purplefrog1937

I use a red light heat lamp for night time, maybe you could get a low watt bulb to heat the tank at night.... on a timer.

gulfcoasttoad

Quote Originally Posted by Poly View Post
    62F is too cold for toads, you need to have an external heat source, a heat pad is your best bet. A heat lamp could damage their eyes, and dry them out.
    How can you say 62F is too cold for toads when it's 37F outside right now where all the other toads that weren't collected are still living?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

They can survive at that temp, but they will likely become inactive and will prepare to hibernate.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

gulfcoasttoad

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    They can survive at that temp, but they will likely become inactive and will prepare to hibernate.
    That is what I'm expecting. I have prepared them for this by feeding them well until it first got cold outside, and have now stopped feeding altogether. I am monitoring the humidity to make sure they don't dry out.

Thread Information