Thread: To hibernate or not to hibernate?

julsShaw

Smile To hibernate or not to hibernate?

Well I was told the making your frog hibernate will help him/her live longer. That is something I was very interested about but I have no idea how or when or etc. So here are a lot of questions:

What age is good for the first hibernation?

How can you make then go in to hibernation mode?

How long should they hibernate?

Do they come out of it on there own or i wake them up?

If they come out on there own when should i worry that there not out yet?

What do I feed them before and after?

How often should they hibernate?

If I missed something please include it

thanks A LOT for all the info :-)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: To hibernate or not to hibernate?

em have not hiberbated mine yet as they are not old enough. I most likely will next winter. For specifics, there are a few members on here with experience in estivation and they can give you details. But I can answer some of your general questions. It is best to wait until they are at least a year old. It is best if they are done growing. Estivating them too young could stunt their growth and has a higher risk rate. Their bodies aren't ready to go through that so young. Generally people put their frogs into estivation in the winter. So the winter after they are at least a year is a good time to start. Pacmans can groe at very different rates, so it varies from frog to frog. To induce estivation (hiberbation) you slowly lower their temps and humidity over at least 2 weeks. You have to increase their food intake so that they can build up their fat stores. They will usually put a mucus sack around themselves to retain moisture while estivating. I believe that the estivation period should last two to three months. During that time there are certain temps and humidity levels that must be retained; I don't remember them off the top of my head though. To bring them out, you slowly raise the temps and humidity back to normal. Oh, and you only do this once a year.

Again, I want to stress that this is just meant as general information to get you started on what to inquire about. You will need to DO A LOT OF RESEARCH before even attempting it. While estivation is strongly thought to increase a frog's lifespan, an improperly done attempt can be fatal. I recommend you talk to some of the breeders on here who estivate their pacmans. I know Ivory Reptiles does and some of the others as well. Good luck in your search!

julsShaw

Thanks Grif for the info. I got some time to do the research since Dino N Chum Chum are babys still but I will like to know as much as I can for when the time comes. That is more or less what new. Damn its hard to learn about this little guys and so many contradictions (in some cases) its hard to make the right choises for the frogs. And the serch goes on ...... lol

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

We are all still learning about our frogs and others frogs. There are some contradictions out there but any info you get from experienced keepers on here will be from personal experience and therfore solid. Do all the research you can.

julsShaw

experienced keepers would be the best source how ever the only ones I know are the ones in this site. I got a lot of research a head but my babys are worth it =)

Thread Information