Thread: Newbie

frogger2

Default Newbie

Hello,
    I've always wanted to start collecting dart frogs and breeding them since i was little and i finally am going to act on my cravings lol. So i was wondering if there is any friendly advice i can have from anyone. such as, where can i find the cheapest frogs and what kind would be the best to start out with. i was thinking about starting with Dendrobates azureus. what type of heating, lighting, and caging would be the best for my frogs. what would be the best sources to find out how to take proper care of them. Basicly all of the essentials of caring for dart frogs. I anyone if feelings friendly enough to help me out that would be wonderful
    thanks,
    Blair

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Newbie

Josh'sFrogs.com has a caresheet and videos on caring for dart frogs. they also sell everything you will need. I am new to frogs, but from what I have heard dart frogs are not the best frog for a beginner. If I were you I would do lots of research before I get one of these frogs. Good luck!!

shydroanna

Default Re: Newbie

I have had dart frogs in the past and currently have 2. I have heard that Green and Black (I don't know if I have the proper name spelled right D. Arturus?) is the easiest beginner species. What I can tell you from my past experience, they can get territorial, watch introducing new frogs to established cages . Always keep fruit flies on hand. Watch out for mold in the cage, it can kill quickly. Some people suggest putting fruit in the cage to attract the fruit flies to a central spot so the frogs come out and feed so you can see them, I tried that and got mold from the fruit even though it was only in there a few hours. Take the time to set up the cage so the frogs can just go right to their new home. I got mine from the st. Louis reptile show, you can find local breeders and get tips. I know some breeders use clear storage containers with lockable lids for their frogs. They have activated carbon on the bottom with a cloth barrier and then a substrate and the frogs. I have a fancy terrarium with the clay balls in the bottom with a fountain pump, pond filter medium cut to fit, ECO EARTH expandable substrate and leaves and moss on top of that with some slate stacked as the fountain. They seem happy but the cheaper storage containers work just as well. Watch air currents. I had a frog in a storage container set up near a window and was hot so I turned on the attack fan which pulled air through the lid of the container, by the morning the frog was dead. I do not use a heater for mine, just a light and the air temp of the house. i have read that they do not need full spectrum light but read up on the species you get. Again watch air currents (vents, fans and such) and mold and bacteria.
    Last edited by shydroanna; December 31st, 2012 at 11:55 PM. Reason: oops, didn't finish a sentence

Thread Information