Thread: Bloated?

Poly

Default Bloated?

My pacman has not eaten in two days, I think it is still adjusting to it's new enviroment, and it may be a little too cold.

I purchased a 4 watt 4" x 6" heat pad yesterday, so I have the heat problem worked out, and as for the not eating, well, I think maybe the cooler temperatures have something do do with it. It's tank is normally around 69-73, which I know is too cold for a "quarter" (coin) sized pacman, I'll be keeping the tank in the high 70s to low 80s with the heat pad.

This morning, it was out, and I think it had just soaked in it's dish.

As for can see here, it looks plump and fat... almost bloated:

Then, I come back 3 minutes later... it looks... deflated?

What's going on?

Thanks for the help!

~Royce

Just a shot of it's current set-up:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Bloated?

I would certainly try to get those temperatures up to at least the upper 70s if at all possible. Good job on the heatpad, they are a Pacman Frog's best friend.

With the deflation, it looks pretty normal with the description you gave. They "inflate" when they soak, and after they get out they may appear to shrink. That shouldn't be a problem.

I didn't realize that you had a Pacman Frog, yet. How long have you had him/her? He sure is a cutie!

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by MeTree View Post
    I would certainly try to get those temperatures up to at least the upper 70s if at all possible. Good job on the heatpad, they are a Pacman Frog's best friend.

With the deflation, it looks pretty normal with the description you gave. They "inflate" when they soak, and after they get out they may appear to shrink. That shouldn't be a problem.

I didn't realize that you had a Pacman Frog, yet. How long have you had him/her? He sure is a cutie!
    Yes, I agree, a pacman needs warmer temperatures, so a heat pad is definitely their best friend!

I figured the inflation had something to do with soaking, thanks for the information.

Well, I didn't plan on purchasing the pacman, it was one of those spur of the moments things, I went into the store to purchase another chubby frog... and I seen a cute lil pacman housed on aquarium gravel and bark chips in a half gallon cricket keeper with a 160 watt heat lamp shined on it. When I told the manager the proper conditions it should be kept in, she refused to change anything, saying that "It's not here to be taken care of, it's here to be sold!"

So nevertheless, I bought the pacman to save it from a horrible death that that heat lamp would have caused.

I purchased him/her on Sunday, for I've had him/her for 3 days now. Yeaaah, baby Tank is really cute!

Hows your albino doing?

~Royce

Nationality
    [United States]

I really hate how some stores will treat their animals just horrible. It is sad how many times that people try to confront managers about how they are killing their animals, and the managers just shrug it off, and even worse, scold the person for confronting them. It's a good thing for your little guy that you rescued him, though. He is really cute!

Cody is doing great! Thanks for asking. I just soaked him today, so he is soo shiny! Measured him today and he is almost 3"! I can't believe it, he is hardly 2 months old.
    Name:  DSCN0204.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  55.6 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

It was probably water weight. When they hold water or are well hydrated they appear bloated. Your pac probably urinated after getting out of the water. They usually urinate in their water but sometimes do after coming out or when they're startled. Like toads do when you pick them up. The temps are definetly too low for one that young. Even adults need very little fluxuation between daytime temps and night time temps. High 70s at night is an ideal temp and day should be no higher that 81 or 82 for one that young. To much temp fluxuation can cause stress. Hope the little guy/girl eats for you soon. Don't for get humidity. 70 to 80%.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey Royce! Baby Tank is adorable!

If you can get the temp up to 80 -82 degrees it'll boost his metabolism and he'll get hungry. Cold slows them down. Might just be adjusting too. Warm it up, cover a few sides and I betcha he'll be hungry in no time at all .

P.S. I put UTH's on two sides of the one corner. So now Tank has a warm side and a cooler side. The average temp is around 80'. But Big Tank loves to burrow in the warm corner. I'm at work, but I'll take some pictures of his old home and his new home when I get home (that sounded funny), lol!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by MeTree View Post
    I really hate how some stores will treat their animals just horrible. It is sad how many times that people try to confront managers about how they are killing their animals, and the managers just shrug it off, and even worse, scold the person for confronting them. It's a good thing for your little guy that you rescued him, though. He is really cute!

Cody is doing great! Thanks for asking. I just soaked him today, so he is soo shiny! Measured him today and he is almost 3"! I can't believe it, he is hardly 2 months old.
    Name:  DSCN0204.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  55.6 KB
    Yeah you've got that right, some pet stores keep there animals in terrible conditions! Haha, he sure is cute, that is when I manage to see him out of his little burrow!

Wow, Cody is huge compared to the tiny little pac that he used to be! Wow, 3" in 2 months! That's over an inch a month, clearly he's being taken great care of!

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    It was probably water weight. When they hold water or are well hydrated they appear bloated. Your pac probably urinated after getting out of the water. They usually urinate in their water but sometimes do after coming out or when they're startled. Like toads do when you pick them up. The temps are definetly too low for one that young. Even adults need very little fluxuation between daytime temps and night time temps. High 70s at night is an ideal temp and day should be no higher that 81 or 82 for one that young. To much temp fluxuation can cause stress. Hope the little guy/girl eats for you soon. Don't for get humidity. 70 to 80%.
    I assumed the water had something to do with it. I stuck the Repti-Therm Mini to the back of his tank, and the temperatures have warmed up a lot. I'm leaving it on all day now, because it does not get very hot, and keeps his temps around 79-81F. I'm keeping the humidity around 85%.

Thanks for the info!

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Hey Royce! Baby Tank is adorable!

If you can get the temp up to 80 -82 degrees it'll boost his metabolism and he'll get hungry. Cold slows them down. Might just be adjusting too. Warm it up, cover a few sides and I betcha he'll be hungry in no time at all .

P.S. I put UTH's on two sides of the one corner. So now Tank has a warm side and a cooler side. The average temp is around 80'. But Big Tank loves to burrow in the warm corner. I'm at work, but I'll take some pictures of his old home and his new home when I get home (that sounded funny), lol!
    Hehe, he is a lil cutie, isn't he?

Yeah, I'll cover three sides with a towel to hold in heat, and give him a little more privacy, then hopefully he'll eat... 3rd day now, still nothing.

Big Tank's new home looks amazing! Big Tank is soo funny! Especially how he goes all spider frog on the side of that rock... So, he mainly sticks to the warmer side?

Thanks for the info! I appreciate all the help, you and that other members have provided!

I sure hope Tank eats soon...

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Poly View Post
    Wow, Cody is huge compared to the tiny little pac that he used to be! Wow, 3" in 2 months! That's over an inch a month, clearly he's being taken great care of!
    Thank you!

Thread Information