Thread: need help deciding to keep or release wild Toads

notjoeaverage

Default need help deciding to keep or release wild Toads

This morning I invited in an adult American Toad which is missing the hand and forearm of it's right front limb, I've noticed it against the basement window the last couple days and evenings. I normally have the blinds closed on the basement windows, but opened one recently for more natural light. The basement is almost completely undergroud and the dugout section around the windows is lined with stone on the bottom and metal on the sides. I remember seeing a Toad almost the size of my fist in there in the summer. This one is smaller and disabled, so I was thinking it wasn't able to jump out and find a place to hibernate and even if it could get out would it be able to burrow down enough with it's disability. I didn't want a pet but I don't want it to starve or freeze to death either. I have an old aquarium I'm not using, it's 36Lx12Wx16H. While doing some reasearch to find basic care needs I came across this site and I have also found 2 more in another window enclosuer doing the same thing. I found the second one by itself, looked for others without moving anything around, then found the third half an hour later. I now have three in the aquarium, I have put in three cardboard enclosers for them to hide in for now.

The temp today is 5C and has been single digets for a couple weeks now, is it normal for this breed to still be active this time of year and this cool out.

Were they likely trapped in the window enclosuers our is this a feeding area for them and they come and go as they please. The enclosuer is at least 20 inches deep and no mre than 24 inches deep.

If it is I would rather put them out in the garden and let them live their lives free.

Any help greatly appreciated

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Squirp

Default Re: need help deciding to keep or release wild Toads

If you don't think your ready for the responsibility, you can release him.
    you can make a makeshift home for him with next to no costs or effort.
    Your toad shouldn't have a problem digging, regardless of the injury.

notjoeaverage

It's getting to the time of year when snow will be common here what temperature do they usually start to dig/burrow to hibernate?

If I put them back outside tonight should I put them back in the winow enclosuer where I found them or take them back to the garden?

Wormwood

I'd move them as far away from the house as possible so they don't get stuck back down in the window wells. They might have been attracted there by bugs in the warmer months or even by the heat escaping from the windows as it got later into the season.

If the ground is not frozen, and it's still possible for them to dig in or find cover under a rotting log then I'd let them go. In regards to the one with a bum leg I'd find a hollowed out log, or a rotting piece of bark that lays pretty much flat on the ground to put him under. Dig out a little hollow and hope for the best.

If the ground is to hard I'd just keep them over the winter in the tank in your basement. It doesn't need to be warm, they will be fine down there even if it's not heated. Just keep a water bowl filled with water, get some playsand so they can dig down into something and if you see them out you might want to head over to the petstore and grab a few crickets for them. Once spring comes around and the leaves start to bud on the trees you can release them back into the wild.
    Last edited by Wormwood; November 30th, 2011 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Add ons

notjoeaverage

Thanks Woorwood, that's pretty much what I had in mind it's not raining today so I'll hunt for some suitable habitats

I'm not sure if the toad will be able to survive on its own if it's missing a limb... Just some food for thought... Imo I would either take it in or give it to an animal sanctuary for herps.

Thread Information