Thread: Taming Baby Leopard Frogs

merp

Default Taming Baby Leopard Frogs

I have four southern leopard frog tadpoles. I may release them after metamorphisis, because I know from experience that the species is extremely skittish and nervous. But I was thinking maybe theres a way to make them calm around me if I interact with them as froglets? If they can be calmed, I might keep them as frogs. I prefer not to keep skittish animals (ranid frogs) because they are not happy if they need to jump for cover everytime I walk by. I doubt it is likely with their simple brains, but can they be "tamed"?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Taming Baby Leopard Frogs

Just add lots of foliage to the enclosure. That might work.

Rat The Unloved

I raised four from early on - I handled them daily during cleanings, feeding etc. The tadpoles were always gregarious - but the instant they morphed all bets were off. Even though they fully associate me with food (they emerge from their near-constant hiding when they hear me messing with the lid), if I move "toward" them at all, "WEEP!" they go and into the water feature.

They will always be very skittish, even with dense cover (the only part of the tank not full of pothos and fern is the water feature), it's just their nature. It does not "hurt" them any more than diving for the water any time something walks by is harmful to them in the wild.

In contrast, the toads I raised would take food from my fingers, but were an absolute PAIN to find tiny crickets for.

LazyEyedFroggie

It's true that leopard frogs are difficult to make calm around people. Probably impossible to. Although, If they have lots of cover, then they will be much less stressed than in an open space. It truly is just natural for them to take to water/cover from anything that comes by. Even a mouse would startle them.

"In contrast, the toads I raised would take food from my fingers, but were an absolute PAIN to find tiny crickets for."

^^ 100% agreement with this statement. Not that it's related to leopard frogs, but my toadlets will actually sit directly on my hand and eat a mealworm, also on my hand, in front of them.

Thread Information