Thread: Another new Pacman~

reichiere

Default Another new Pacman~

Petco had all reptiles 50% off Friday... I've been wanting a Pacman for ages... Petco had a Pacman... QED I now have a Pacman... or they called him a ornate horned toad.

I haven't named him yet but here's a couple pictures I snapped of him (I want to name him Jabba, but it seems to be a common name...):

Hunkering down:

He's currently residing in a shoebox tuberware sized container with ecoearth substrate and pool of water. He has a 10 gallon tank but it's not quite ready for him yet and he's so small he should be find for a while, not like they move that much...

The ride home he was hopping all over and he reacts to movement so he seems to be a heathly speciem. And he chowed down three small crickets this afternoon.

I did have a few questions..

How much should I be feeding him? Is the 2-3 crickets a day okay for him?

And can they eat white cloud minnows? I know fish are okay, but I wanted to make sure minnows were fine.

I'd greatly appreciate any info or advice you all wish to share. I'm so excited about my first froggie~

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Another new Pacman~

Well about the species. That's a Fantacy Frog. Which is C. Cornuta(the Surinam Horned Frog) bred with a C. Cranwelli(Cranwells Horned Frog). Definetly not an Ornate but non the less a very nice healthy looking Pacman. Every night since they are nocturnal you should feed him her as much as he/she will eat in 15 to 20 minutes. This method allowes you to keep track of the amount of food your frog is eating. Be sure to dust the crickets once a week with a multivitamin and every other feeding dust with a calcium dust with vitamin D3 in it. Babies and juviniles can be fed daily so that is what you should do. Don't. Use both the multivitamin and calcium dust at the same time as the frog won't get the full benefit of them if fed together. Minnows are ok just try to avoide Goldfish/Comets/ I'm not sure if Roseies are ok, but you don't want anything in the Goldfish family for sure. Be sure to keep the temps 80 to 85 during the day and 75 to 79 at night. Ideal is 78 at night 82 during the day. Humidity must be 60 to 80% you'll want to keep it in the 75 to 80% range as its more ideal. Congrats on the little guy/girl. Any more questions feel free to ask.

Nationality
    [United States]

Congrats on your new little guy! Jabba is a good name, fits him well. I'd chose whatever you like best . He sounds like a healthy pac .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

reichiere

Thanks so much Grif! I know how Petco just slaps names on things and can be way off so I'm not surprised about the species info.

And thank you for the tips. I was able to find lots of info about the temps when I was researching before I got him, but there was so much conflicting info about how to feed. And I couldn't find anything about minnows either. I did know goldfish are bad feeders from other research, and since they're my favorite fish they're not allowed to be feeders anyways in this house!

I water my crickets with Repashy Hydro Load which is suppost to replace the need for calcium dust so do I still need to dust the crickets? I'll get a multivitaim though.

And thanks Heather! We might just go with Jabba anyways I'll see if something else comes to mind the next couple days!

Nationality
    [United States]

Yw
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by reichiere View Post
    Thanks so much Grif! I know how Petco just slaps names on things and can be way off so I'm not surprised about the species info.

And thank you for the tips. I was able to find lots of info about the temps when I was researching before I got him, but there was so much conflicting info about how to feed. And I couldn't find anything about minnows either. I did know goldfish are bad feeders from other research, and since they're my favorite fish they're not allowed to be feeders anyways in this house!

I water my crickets with Repashy Hydro Load which is suppost to replace the need for calcium dust so do I still need to dust the crickets? I'll get a multivitaim though.

And thanks Heather! We might just go with Jabba anyways I'll see if something else comes to mind the next couple days!
    Yes I would still buy a calcium dust so he/she gets a double dose. They need D3 to metabolize the calcium and absorb it into their bones and its necissary for other bodily functions. You are very welcome.

Amphibious

What a great looking frog.

Thread Information