Thread: Leopard Frogs

Beatlesbabe97

Default Leopard Frogs

I may be getting a leopard frog, possibly two from the biology department at my school. I have found a few sites with housing information and other facts typical of care sheets, but I was wondering if anyone has/has had leopard frogs and what do you suggest as the best set up for the habitat? The frogs are adults of a decent size, is a 10 gallon tank sufficient for one and how many gallons should be added per frog? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Leopard Frogs

I suppose 10 gallons would be large enough for one. The thing with Ranids is that they tend to be skittish and jumpy. Honestly get the largest cage you can possibly afford. If they're larger it lessens the chance that the frog(s) will injure themselves. Give approximately 2/3 water and 1/3 land with hiding places on both sides. The water should have some depth to it, at least enough to completely submerge and feel safe.

Alex

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I'll add more to this. You can begin by covering the sides with black until they get more comfortable. You can put plant matter in the water section as well.

Beatlesbabe97

Thanks for the advice...I found out that I will be able to take the frog home this evening. Any advice on how to determine gender on the frogs if possible?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

To my knowledge they aren't sexually dimorphic so I doubt there would be a way to tell them apart. Females may be slightly larger, but unless you're comparing many side by side, probably not. It may also be possible to tell after they have hibernated.

Alex

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Beatlesbabe97 View Post
    Any advice on how to determine gender on the frogs if possible?
    Well, if it sings its a male. As Alex said, size can also be a factor in determing sex. Males in many Anuran species will develope nuptial pads on their arms at mating time. If the frog is young, then it may be impossible to sex it at this time.

Thread Information