Thread: Toad is Sick

Default Toad is Sick

I have an Asian Black-spined toad that is sick. It is very thin and has discharge coming out of it's eyes and nose. Can someone please tell me what's wrong?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

LazyEyedFroggie

Default Re: Toad is Sick

It's probably some sort of infection. Can you tell me exactly what you are currently keeping it in (size of enclosure, substrate, temperature, lighting, humidity, plant types...) and if you've made any changes to it's set-up recently? Also, is it the only animal in the enclosure, and where is the terrarium stored? When's the last time it ate, and how much of what did it eat? Are you giving it vitamin/calcium supplementation?
    Sorry for all the questions, but I need a lot of answers to properly answer your crucial question. Some pictures would be helpful, and if you have a herp (amphibian and reptile) vet near you, I suggest you pay them a visit with your buddy. I hope all will be well!

Well I just bought it. It is wild-caught (all of these toads are). It hasn't eaten yet.

Kurt

Needs to see a vet ASAP. No one here will able to help your toad, but a competent vet will be able to, if it's not too late. Nuff said.

Kurt

You just bought it?!? Why would you buy an animal is such foul shape?

LazyEyedFroggie

Listen to Kurt, it definitely does need a vet. If you could answer more of the questions in my above post, though, I may be able to at least give you some advice. But, please take it to get professional care as soon as you can!

I bought this toad online (that's the only place you can buy them I think). It's a gamble buying animals online. The other two I bought are fine, it's just this one.
    I know it sounds cruel, but I'm not sure if it's worth taking it to the vet. In live in Montana, so most people here don't even know what the f*** a toad is...I'm not going to pay a lot of money for someone to tell me that they don't know what's wrong. But maybe I should just do it. I would like advice, though (and yes, I know that it's no substitue for a professional opinion).

Thanks for helping me. Forums like this are crucial for someone who doesn't have access to a lot of information. I have the internet, and that's basically it.

Poly

Well, if you care about the animals well being and life for that matter, you'll take it to a vet. I don't think it'll be THAT expensive.

Well, I found the poor guy dead this morning.

Just so people know, I got it from Backwater Reptiles.

This is one of the reasons I hate buying wild-caught animals. Some of you might think it's my fault that it was sick. It isn't. The toad was very sick when I got it in the mail (which was Tuesday). I'm not even sure if it's the seller's fault. It's just life.

LazyEyedFroggie

I'm sorry for the loss of him. I know buying online is often very risky. Hopefully none of the others will fall ill. Was this one in quarantine?

Thankfully I had the brains to quarantine it. I also changed the substrate in the tank and sterilized the water dish.

LazyEyedFroggie

Excellent I'm sorry if I sounded a bit rude earlier, it's just that some people don't know how to care for toads, and I didn't know all the details. Good luck with the others!

thanks

Thread Information