Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 50 Gallon Upright Vivarium for Amphibian Inhabitants? Tree Frogs? PDF's?

Default Re: 50 Gallon Upright Vivarium for Amphibian Inhabitants? Tree Frogs? PDF's?

Quote Originally Posted by Poly View Post
    Remember guys... I live in Canada No tree frogs here except Spring Peepers!
    There has apparently been Gray treefrog sightings up your way, but they are more to the south and also far to the west: http://nhic.mnr.gov.on.ca/herps/All_Ont/frogs/tgtf.jpg

The Ontario Reptile Expo Ontario Reptile & Exotic Pet Expo supposedly goes to Ottawa, but no date announced. Not really day tripping distance for you, but you'd have lots to chose from.

Hmm, yes it would! I found a website that offered many different kinds of tree frogs in Canada (mossy tree frogs, amazon milks, barking tree frogs, cb baby red eyes, etc.) but he just sold the website!
    What website was this and is the buyer not planning to continue the operation?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 50 Gallon Upright Vivarium for Amphibian Inhabitants? Tree Frogs? PDF's?

I had stubbled across a place in Surrey BC that sells alot of varieties but I have had zero luck finding it again.

Kristen

Can you get whites in Canada ?

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    There has apparently been Gray treefrog sightings up your way, but they are more to the south and also far to the west: http://nhic.mnr.gov.on.ca/herps/All_Ont/frogs/tgtf.jpg

The Ontario Reptile Expo Ontario Reptile & Exotic Pet Expo supposedly goes to Ottawa, but no date announced. Not really day tripping distance for you, but you'd have lots to chose from.

What website was this and is the buyer not planning to continue the operation?
    Yeah, Ottawa is a little ways from me for sure! It was called Captive Herps, he offered over 50 species of cb amphibians and over 150 of cb reptiles, etc. His website was bought out by a chain store, so he no longer has any carries any animals in stock. Here's his e-mail address: captiveherps@hotmail.com His name is James.

Really? Greys? Figured it'd be too cold!?

Nationality
    [United States]

Any ideas for your tank design yet? I never would have thought of a curio though. Great idea! I can't wait to see it! Can you also get albino retf's there? That'd be a nice variation of color .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Any ideas for your tank design yet? I never would have thought of a curio though. Great idea! I can't wait to see it! Can you also get albino Red-Eyed Leaf Frog's there? That'd be a nice variation of color .
    Thanks! No, sadly I'm very limited to the frogs I can get, but I just contacted UnderStory, and I can get P. hypochondrialis for 35$ each... not sure on them though? I'd really like red eyes, but it's hard to find them!

Well, as for the design, it's a little flimbsy, so I'll have to make it a little more rigid somehow, but other than that, it's all glass on 3 sides, and the back is a mirror, so what I was thinking was:

-Use about 6-8" of plantation soil substrate to plant a 5ft+ tall leafy plant in (Still not sure on where I'm going to acquire/purchase one?).
    -To cover up the mirror, I'm going to cut a 2" thick x 15" wide x 64" tall piece of styrofoam, (make some holes in it for pots for plants, maybe some caves too ) smear it good with a thick layer of GE II silicone, cover it in plantation soil, then silicone it to the mirror.
    -For strength (and climbing ) silicone cut drift wood between the frame braces at the back (they will add more cover to the background plus a place for creeping fig to wrap around) for support & an area to plant broms as well, then have slender, longer peices of drift wood siliconed in on an angle, running from side to side (bacically running through the leaves of the plant) and I'm going to try to make a natural looking water bowl (out of styrofoam) so it dosen't have to decend to the bottom os the tank to soak, it'll be pretty full, probably won't see the frogs much because they'll have too many places to hide!

I'm going to be doing this over the winter, so we'll see how it works out! Any suggestions?

Thanks,

~Royce

Nationality
    [United States]

That sounds great!!!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Poly

That sounds great!!!
    Thanks Can red-eyes climb on coco-fibre covered background?

Badger

I know my white's can, So I would assume red eye's can as well.And I'm glad you're the one doing this build. I like big builds, but that is a LOT of silicone smearing. Have fun >.<

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, they can climb on almost everything. They can leap from branch to branch pretty far too. Stickers sometimes sleeps on the underside of her fake plant leaves. She's so heavy it pulls them down but she never falls off . They're pretty agile little frogs.

Poly

Haha, wow! That's great to know! Well, like I said, I wanted a 5ft+ tall leafy plant, some hopefully, real leaves just won't break off!

Badger

Hmm..You could try a home depot. A nursery would be your best bet though.

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Hmm..You could try a home depot. A nursery would be your best bet though.
    No nurseries in ym town, and home depot is all cleared out for the "chistmas season" plants. Guess I'll have to wait!

Badger

Oh noes. D:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Royce< are you near a petland or petsmart? If so they could order Red Eyes for you. I ordered my 3 from Petsmart for $50 each and they were in great shape, they called me as soon as they arrived so they didn't have too many homes in a short time period.

Nationality
    [United States]

A nice banana plant would be nice

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by butcher View Post
    Royce< are you near a petland or petsmart? If so they could order Red Eyes for you. I ordered my 3 from Petsmart for $50 each and they were in great shape, they called me as soon as they arrived so they didn't have too many homes in a short time period.
    No petsmart or petland, just a pet-valu. Wonder if they could get them?

A nice banana plant would be nice
    Where would I find something like that? It guess it would have to be local, becuase I'd imagine shipping for a 5ft+ tall plant would be expensive...?

Nationality
    [United States]

sorry, the greys go as far as SOUTHeastern Canada, not NORTHeastern.
    Remember guys... I live in Canada No tree frogs here except Spring Peepers!

Nationality
    [United States]

Here in Pa, lol! At a local nursery prob in the spring.

donnaturner

I like whites, there sure freaky looking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information