Thread: A White's Tree Frog Question.

Beil89

Default A White's Tree Frog Question.

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

Last Saturday my girlfriend bought me a White's. He's about 1 1/2" in size. I've never owned a frog before but I've always loved frogs, so I was super excited. From what I've read, I know his enclosure is too small. 5gal pet carrier (asking for a terrarium for christmas). But he has moss bedding, a decent watering dish, (for the size of his carrier) climbing logs, I keep a small heat lamp with a black night heat bulb (75w) to keep him warm, and mist when ever it looks dry (keep it about 50% humidity). I feed him 4 crickets and change his water everyday. he has a good apatite and everything seems to be going well. Just last night though, I notice him burrowing under the moss, which I found strange because he likes to sit in the top corner of the carrier or on his logs.(highest points)

So I was wondering if anyone could tell me why he's deciding to burrow under the moss?

Thanks for any information.

We named him Velcro because he sticks to everything.

Name:  100_0927.jpg
Views: 1638
Size:  71.3 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

treefrogsrules

Default Re: A White's Tree Frog Question.

Generally, tree frogs will burrow into the substrate if there is not enough humidity. 50% i believe is a little bit low for a WTF. Try raising the humidity to 65-70%. I believe the pet carrier will be OKAY for a month untill you get a terrerium. another thing i think may be a problem, I have have 75w for my leopard geckos, and the bulbs get up to 90 degrees, so I believe that is why he getting down lower is to stay cooler. and i would prefer( not saying its a need, but im picky about substrates ) about an inch or two of eco-earth or plantation soil by exo-terra and zoo med. If you have any more questions about caring for WTF's, inbox me here at the site and i will reply as soon as i can, Peyton

Sierra

Congrats on your new frog! Do you have a thermometer/hydrometer in there? That would make it easier to monitor the heat. When you ask for a terrarium for chirstmas, I would as for a taller one than a longer one. I have a 18x18x24 exoterra for my 2 whites. If you have any other questions, feel free to inbox me also. You're taking great care of him with what you got!

Beil89

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
    You're taking great care of him with what you got!
    Thanks for the encouraging remark. I really enjoy him.
    I do have a thermometer/hydrometer. My lamp keeps him between 76-82 degrees depending on the actual room temperature. I move the lamp to make it a bit cooler during the night. I did mist a little more today to up the Humidity, about 70%.
    Since I only have the one frog I was thinking about maybe just the 12x12x18 exoterra?

treefrogsrules

I believe you are going in the right track in the 12x12x18. That is what my only whites was in untill i bought 3 more and got a 18x18x24. Bumoing uo the humidity was a good move. once again, if you have any more questions, pm me on the site! peyton

Sierra

The temp/humidity sounds good. An 12x12x18 would probably be okay, it comes out to about 11 gallons. 20 gallons is normally suggested for one whites, so the 18x18x24 is closer to that. I understand that it is more expensive, this stuff does get expensive. I originally bought the 12x12x12 for 2 full grown whites (suggested by the pet store), and then I learned that I needed a way bigger terrarium, and ended up spending a lot of extra money. If you are shopping around for terrariums, you can punch the dimensions into
    Cubic Inches to US Gallons (Liquid) conversion calculator
    to try to figure out what will be best for you sometimes the ZooMed terrariums are cheaper than the Exo Terras, but the exo terras come in the handy kits. The zoo meds might come in kits too, I'm not sure.

treefrogsrules

sometimes the ZooMed terrariums are cheaper than the Exo Terras, but the exo terras come in the handy kits. The zoo meds might come in kits too, I'm not sure.[/QUOTE] The zoo med terrariums do not come in kits. I bought my first terrarium as the rainforest kit small by exo terra.

Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by treefrogsrules View Post
    sometimes the ZooMed terrariums are cheaper than the Exo Terras, but the exo terras come in the handy kits. The zoo meds might come in kits too, I'm not sure.
    The zoo med terrariums do not come in kits. I bought my first terrarium as the rainforest kit small by exo terra.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the confirmation on that, I had never seen one, so I didn't want to say for sure.

Thread Information