Thread: How do I know if my Amazon Milk Frog is eating?

jtherps

Default How do I know if my Amazon Milk Frog is eating?

Hello I bought 2 amazon milk frogs at the KC reptile expo and one died so I have been trying soooo hard to keep my other one alive, it is about 1/2 long and all he does it stick to the glass every time I ever see him. How do I know if he is eating there are fruitflies and 3 crickets in his terrarium and I haven't seen the frog move much. How Do I know?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Badger

Default Re: How do I know if my Amazon Milk Frog is eating?

try feeding in a seperate container/ feeding bowl for crickets.

jtherps

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    try feeding in a seperate container/ feeding bowl for crickets.
    Would I just put him in a deli cup with some fruit flies?
    Also since I switched the tank after my other one died I lost about half the fruitflies that I bought because they were in the tank, I have 3 fruitflies left in my fruit fly cup with the food how long does it take them to breed and would I get anywhere with just three left?

Badger

You wouldn't get anywhere with three, you can get a new couple of cultures from most reptile suppliers. and yeah, if you just put the frog in a separate container with the food (s)he may eat. I feed my frogs in a spare 10 gallon (my frogs are much bigger) and now as soon as they get into the tank they know what's coming.

jtherps

Alright, what about small mealworms? would he be able to he them?

Badger

Mealworms are generally not good to feed frogs, they have a terrible shell to meat ratio, and can cause impaction due to the high chitin. A good rule of thumb is the feeder item should be no more than the space inbetween the frogs eyes. You can feed very small crickets, fruit flies, and as it grows the best feeder is Dubia roaches.

bshmerlie

I think fruit flies are probably too small for Amazon Milks to bother with them unless you have the large winged variety. Even at a half inch I would probably just stick with the small crickets. Keep three sides of the enclosure covered to help your frog feel more comfortable. Make sure the humidity and the temps are actually correct...some gauges are just wrong. Keep the enclosure simple with just a paper towel on the floor so the frog can see the crickets walking around. The frog should have a sturdy plant to sleep on that will provide good cover to make him feel comfortable. Give him about 30 days or so and eventually you will see him start moving around and hunting for food. Keep it quiet and very dark for him. As far a feeding new frogs all you can do is provide them with a stable quiet environment...they eventually have to feel at home enough to eat and most of the time they eventually do. Just give him time. Quiet and dark is key.

Shanny

How big is your tank?
    I would simplify his home for right now until u know he is eating regularly. What I mean is put him in a 10 gallon, with paper towel as substrate (this way you can keep track if he poops, therefore he must be eating) only put a few vines, sticks plants, decorations into his home so he at least has something to climb on.

I'm dealing with the same kind of thing right now.. I have 2 penny-sized red eyed tree frogs that I got on nov. 7th. I keep them in a smaller tank with 2 sticks to climb, a small bamboo, a couple big rocks they like to sit on, a water dish for soaking and moist paper towel for substrate. I just put small crickets into tank and they are eating fine.
    By making his home simple while he's small, it makes it easier for him to hunt and find his food.. So then when he gets bigger you can make his home more natural looking and he will have no problem finding his food.
    My two adult RETF's hunt there food also, but they are in a much bigger tank that has moss for substrate, plenty of vines, sticks, and live plants. I feel that it is more natural to let them hunt for there food, rather than hand feeding them or whatnot.. I like to try and make my animals homes as realistic as possible.
    But I am not against using a bowl to keep the crickets in either.
    Hope this helps

Shanny

...also I forgot to say, that by doing this, u won't stress your frog out by moving him into a diff container to feed.
    If your worried he may not survive, you want to handle him as less as u possibly can. I'd just leave him be in a simple home for now, change out water and paper towel everyday and add crickets each night.. This way your not removing him from an already unfamiliar place (if he's still relatively new) he needs to get used to his forever home so then he will be more relaxed knowing he's not going to be shipped off to another place or another store.
    He will get used to his surroundings and u, so he will be less stressed over time knowing u are no threat to him

jtherps

This all really helped alot he is in a 10 gallon tall with eco earth substrate a few leaves a tubaware dish for water, and 1 leafy branch that stands as tall as the aquarium.
    The tank holds really good humidity and is kept around 78-83 degrees.
    I mist him 2-4 times a day.
    So if he does not eat how long would he stay alive?

Shanny

He will eat, just give him some time to get adjusted, then he will feel more comfortable.
    When I got my frogs for the first time, they wouldn't eat for about a week.
    Also, after I took one of my frogs to the vet for a prolapse, they said I should try and avoid feeding him until I got the stitch taken out... So he ended up not eating for a little over a week.
    Just make sure u provide him with active crickets so once he is in the mood to eat, he can find them

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.926654,-93.081297

Thread Information