Thread: 1 FBT out of 6 note eating, maybe this is normal???

Quina

Question 1 FBT out of 6 note eating, maybe this is normal???

Hi all,

First off I apologize for not having read many other posts yet, I don't have too much time right now and I just wanted to post this to get people's input. I will definitely read some other threads later to see if they maybe are related to my problem. I modded on guppies.com for a while so I know how annoying simple questions can be when 50 people repeatedly ask them !

Anyway I got into toads via craigslist. I have been interested in them for a while but I recently picked up an entire set up from a family who was no longer interested in them. Sadly these poor guys had no filtration in their water (which was BLACK from a potted plant that had slipped down to the water). I read as much as I could about them before getting them, but I'm obviously totally new to this sadly...

I immediately bought a duetto filter and have basically had to clean it daily because it keeps getting clogged, but the tank is finally clean about 2 weeks later. I have done quite a few drastic water changes because I was worried about the plant soil which could have fertilizer getting in the water.

Ok so, here is my issue: I have 6 toads in a 26g. They are all various species of the Bombina genus. Two of them are considerably smaller than the others because the previous owners obviously didn't even bother to watch if all the toads ate
    They were all eating when I first got them, but for the last 3 days one of them has not eaten. I have had to hand feed them because this tank doesn't have a substrate and the stupid crickets drown otherwise because they refuse to stay on the rocks/giant tree piece in the tank. This toad that is not eating came to me missing a front hand! I assume he lost it in a toad fight at some point. I am worried he somehow had a latent infection, or is this not possible?

I have isolated him in a container with his own tank water and a rock to sit on, as well as 3 crickets. He is actually afraid of them and tries frantically to get away when they get too close. He doesn't appear to be shedding, his eyes look nice and glassy. He definitely looks on the thin side so I'm pretty worried he might already be starving to death. I will try to get a picture and attach it later.

I read in another thread that perhaps this might be a sensitivity to temperature. I will put one of my stealth heaters (plastic encased, frog safe) in the main tank. This toad could not have eaten gravel. He seems to like hanging out in the water in the isolation container.

Any thoughts on what I should do? Is isolating him bad? With fish it's important to contain the source of the problem, and I am just afraid he could die in the tank and I'd never find him because their land consists of a MASSIVE tree stump which isn't going anywhere anytime soon

I will be back later to browse sick toad threads.
    Thanks in advance for any info/ideas!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

LazyEyedFroggie

Default Re: 1 FBT out of 6 note eating, maybe this is normal???

I just need a bit more info...

How large is the cricket compared to this toad? and is this one of the two smaller toads? Is his missing hand an open wound or is it healed over? and what temperature is the tank? Also, exactly what type of FBT is he? What type of wood is the tree stump (some woods prove toxic to amphibians)? Is their substrate able to be burrowed into (FBT's will do this, when they feel insucure)?

It's actually best to keep them isolated when you have to monitor feeding. You could try feeding him something that moves slower like butterworms or mealworms, just don't use these as a staple diet once he's recovered. I'll try to answer your questions more clearly, I just need more info. Good luck!!!

Thread Information